A guide to Free Comic Book Day in El Paso

Free Comic Book Day (FCBD) is celebrated every first Saturday of May. It was first created in 2002 by the North American comic book industry in an effort to help get more readers into independent comic book stores. The date was set after Jim Valentino, an Image Comics publisher, suggested having the first FCBD the same weekend as the opening of the Spider-Man film in order to take advantage of the promotion surrounding the film.

The first FCBD was celebrated May 4, 2002. Since its beginning, almost every FCBD has lined up with the release of a film based on a comic book. This year, FCBD aligns with the release of “Guardian’s of the Galaxy Vol. 2” on May 5. Thousands of comic book stores across the country participate in the event. Here are some of the ones celebrating FCBD in El Paso.

Asylum Comics

Asylum will be having a guest artist Jorge Baeza, and have exclusive items on sale just for that day such as exclusive metal pins. They are located on 5360 N Mesa St., Ste. L12, and will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Old Major Comics

Old Major Comics will be having raffles and prizes as well as free comics on FCBD. They will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. that day at 10780 Pebble Hills Blvd.

Rebels Comics

Every year, Rebels Comics has celebrated FCBD. They have a selection of free comics and even have raffles and host games. Last year they raffled the first Deadpool comic book. Rebels is located at 12400 Montwood Dr. and open on  FCBD from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Sunrise Games & Comics

Sunrise Games & Comics will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on FCBD. Located at 8500 Dyer St., Sunrise typically hosts game days on Saturdays, but FCBD will be the exception, as they take the day to celebrate and give away free comics. 

Allstar Comics & Games

Open FCBD from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Allstar has been in business for over 30 years. They are the largest comic book store in El Paso, with more than 100,000 comics available. They are located at 4406 Dyer St.

Black Sheep Comics

Located at 1491 N. Lee Trevino Dr., Black Sheep Comics will be having free comic books from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., or until supplies last. They will also be having local artists and food vendors for the celebration.