UTEP welcomes 8th annual Women’s History Month Conference

Claudia Hernandez

The eighth annual Women’s History Month Conference will be held today April 11 and tomorrow at the UTEP Student Union.  With over 96 panels and workshops, the conference aims to bring 500 attendees and cover different women’s, LGTB and men’s issues in the national and local level.

“We’re hoping to bring some kind of justice, we want to address equality issues for men, women and LGTBQA. This is an opportunity for people to learn about awareness and about the injustices that exist in our communities,” said professor and organizer of the Women’s History Month Conference Maissa Khatib.

Victoria Martinez, president of the UTEP Triota chapter, a women’s national honors society which celebrates the diversity and contributions of women, said this conference allows students to learn important issues affecting them.

“I actually attended this conference and now I’m presenting so this conference gives you and opportunity to be involved and to then later to actually present your own personal research and things you care about,” Martinez said.

Khatib says this conference is not only for women, she said men should also attend the event because panels and workshops will cover relevant issues affecting them.

“This conference is also for men to learn about things related to health, the workplace, issues concerning women and LGTBQA community. We live together in one society and to have peace we have to be aware of everyone around us,” Khatib said.

Tomorrow at 10 A.M UTEP President Diana Natalicio will be a keynote speaker at the Tomás Rivera Conference Center located in Union East third floor.

“She’s going to talk about the contributions of women at UTEP, celebrating 100 years of women at UTEP,” Khatib said.

For more information and registration info visit whm.iss.utep.edu or contact the Women’s and Gender Studies office by phone at 915-747-5200.