New clothing line promotes El Paso youth

Desert+People+has+over+13+t-shirt+designs+available+on+their+website+and+at+their+store%2C+located+at+2919+Wyoming.++
Nina Titovets
Desert People has over 13 t-shirt designs available on their website and at their store, located at 2919 Wyoming.

There’s a new local clothing brand that has been gaining attention for its designs. A brand that not only exhibits El Paso but goes beyond just clothes. Desert People is the newest local operation aimed at revitalizing the way the city is portrayed. The brand gives El Paso new logos and shines a light on the landscape through videos. 

Desert People founder Mark Martinez ventured into multiple business ideas before finding the one he felt most sure of. Having had the idea for the brand for more than two years, it wasn’t until he went through screen printing for other people, opening up a skate shop and then partnering up with friends to open up a print shop and deciding to leave that he pursued the clothing brand.

“I had Skate City for about five to six years, then I started Proper Printshop out of that. I was there for about two years and then I sold my share,” Martinez said. “I started it out of the skate shop. JJ, Steven and Fernie, we partnered up and I ended up leaving my part.”

Despite being new, Desert People has already started to see success. Martinez talks about beginning with a small batch of inventory to having to print shirts daily.

“As of right now we’re just stocking weekly and we’re printing daily–about a 100 or less a week.” Martinez said.

[arve url=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/44OYAvJvVVQ”/]

Even with the rising demand for their shirts, the staff of three people, including Martinez, remains the same.  At first, only Martinez was printing shirts, but now he has two other people to help him.

The brand is still fairly young, having started up in the fall of 2016. Deciding what look and feel of the shirts to use came from Martinez going through thrift shops with his wife and buying their own shirts.

Martinez, who designs everything for the brand as well, has more than 13 different shirt designs available for sale. He has other ideas, but wants to wait to push them as the brand keeps expanding. Martinez does get ideas from other people, but all of the designs are created solely by him.

“It started with me printing shirts for other people and trying to make something that’s reflective of El Paso,” Martinez said.

When it comes to the price, the clothes aren’t exactly student-budget friendly. The t-shirts start at $20.

“For $20, I could see myself getting one, but the issue is that with other college students they might think it’s too plain and isn’t worth $20,” said Luis Arias, freshman theater major.

Although his brand’s designs are El Paso centered, Martinez does not want to limit Desert People to becoming an El Paso-only brand. It was about more than just giving the city exposure; it was about having something that could become a staple for not only the people of El Paso, but for people who know El Paso, but aren’t from here.

“You know, just as I got older, I just didn’t really see anything from El Paso that I wanted to wear without it being a souvenir-style Chihuahua shirt. I just had an idea and wanted to see how it went,” Martinez said. “At first the idea was to be an El Paso brand, but I didn’t want it to be limited to that. I also wanted that was reflective of the desert and stuff like that, I didn’t really see too many things like that.”

The brand goes beyond just clothes. Martinez wants to expand on local talent.

“The t-shirts, the clothing brand is the first step into more things we’re doing. We want to produce original films and stuff like that here in El Paso. That’s kind of more or less what we’re about,” Martinez said. “I feel like people were looking for something they could identify with.”

Staying true to being a brand that’s reflective of El Paso, all of the models for the brand are from El Paso, and all of the shoots take place here as well. Martinez shoots in town to showcase the landscape and beauty that the city has to offer. All of the photos and videos for Desert People are shot by Martinez.

Having worked up to the idea for years and then being able to execute it all on his own. Martinez said he is really grateful for everyone who is caring and pushing for the brand.

It might take a while before Desert People expands their inventory options.

“I’d like to have everything, as far as hats, jackets and pins and stuff like that. Right now it’s new and anything I’m making I’m trying to put back into the business,” Martinez said.

For more information on Desert People, visit desertpeopleco.com or their studio, located at 2919 Wyoming Ave.

View Comments (1)
Leslie Sarinana
Leslie Sarinana, Copy Editor