New Center for the Arts Entrepreneurship announced by UTEP

UTEP’s Department of Music Chair Steve Wilson announced UTEP’s and El Paso Pro-Musica’s collaboration to create the Centers for Arts Entrepreneurship.

On Tuesday, April 4, UTEP’s Department of Music Chair Steve Wilson announced UTEP’s  and El Paso Pro-Musica’s collaboration to create the Centers for Arts Entrepreneurship.

CEA and local arts groups will train students and prepare them as they enter the 21st-century work environment.

“The center will create innovative opportunities for students in art, theater, dance and music by bringing in world-class 21st century artists,” Wilson said.

UTEP cello professor and artistic director of El Paso Pro-Musica, Zuill Bailey, who won two Grammy awards for his work in classical music earlier this year, will be center’s artistic director.

“Basically we’re teaching artists, musicians, creative types to think outside the box and to (help artists) affect communities through their craft in ways they didn’t know possible,” Bailey said in press release.

The center will begin to operate in fall 2017 on the UTEP campus and will be housed in the Department of Music in UTEP’s College of Liberal Arts.

Ultimately UTEP plans for the center will grow to offer a minor in arts entrepreneurship for students pursuing liberal arts degree programs.

Wilson announced the new center before a free public lecture by Greg Sandow, an American music critic, composer, writer, consultant and professor, who spoke about “The Future of Classical Music: How We Should Change” as part of UTEP’s Centennial Lecture Series.