Don’t overthink your class attire

If you walk around any major campus in Texas, Texas State, UT, Texas Tech, etc., you’ll find a large amount of girls in oversized comfy t-shirts, work out pants and Nikes and guys in basketball shorts. Does this mean everyone is super active and probably going to the gym that day? Not necessarily. It means they know they’re going to be sitting in classes or hanging out studying all day so they might as well be comfortable.

Walk around UTEP and that’s hardly the case. In my experience, one of the reasons the majority of UTEP students put so much effort into their daily class attire is because not many live on or even close to campus. If you live on campus, you’re more likely to just roll out of bed and put on whatever.

I don’t think we should set such a high standard for each other though. Why should we have to impress anyone? Going to class isn’t the same as going to work. We’re paying for classes, they’re not paying us. There shouldn’t be any kind of pressure to dress a certain way as long as you show up.

I stand in front of the mirror and question if I should do my hair that day or not and walk to my closet and question when the last time I wore a shirt was, everything usually ends with a shrug and I just do whatever speeds up the process. Since I usually spend my entire day on the west side, I sometimes even throw in other clothes in my car, just in case.

Shopping is always a struggle. First of all I don’t even know what size I am. I have small, medium and large shirts all mixed together in my wardrobe and shoes that range from 5 1/2 to 7. I’ll avoid shopping for a while until I have enough money to feel like it’s worth it, and, frankly, I don’t have the patience to shop.

I’m all for Savers, Plato’s Closet and other used clothes stores, but I can’t stand all the racks packed with clothes. It’s overwhelming. I’ll go shopping with my best friend, who is always up for the challenge of scoping out the good finds, and as much as I try, I can only be there so long.

I’m so picky about what I buy too. I never want to buy anything flashy, if it has patterns they have to be subtle and it can’t be too long or too tight. This only leaves so many options.

I’m lucky to have a boyfriend who has somewhat the same mentality as me. He’s not as picky, but we can both shop fast, dress casual but appropriate, and don’t spend more on clothes than we should. If it’s not an important day that requires an upscale outfit, I say don’t overthink it and just wear what makes you feel comfortable.

If you look at any modern office with full-time working millennials, they’re not wearing dresses and ties anymore. The future is casual.