Sun City Roller Girls: More than just a sport

Lace up your skates, it’s derby season! The Sun City Roller Girls opened their ninth season on Feb. 19 at the judging area behind the El Paso County Coliseum.

Last season’s champs, Las Catrinas defeated the Chuco Town Chulas Sunday night, 189-113. This women-owned and operated roller derby league has been in El Paso since 2008. The league is all about boosting city pride, and there are current UTEP students and graduates on every team.

Since its creation, roller derby has proven to be more than just a sport. It’s all about strong females showing they can kick ass while wearing fishnets. Everything about the bouts are entertaining. From the costumes to the emcee’s comical commentary. Each player goes by a derby name such as Sin-Derella, Lady Latte Pain, Skatey Perry, Cheri-Vicious and Lilly Wonk-Ya.

Watch out for the whips and reverse blocks, because in this sport bruises are normal. Let’s put it this way, if you’re not bruised you didn’t play.

Every lady got into derby in different ways and their reasons for doing it are vastly different, but overall they all share the same passion for the sport. All of these women have jobs and families and does derby as a hobby or stress reliever. Women of all statures and ages compete in roller derby.

SCRG’s season runs from February to November. They have a bout every month and twice a month in the summers. Although Sin-Derella of Las Viudas Negras says that “playing once a month is not enough,” they pick up new players every year.

All of the teams practice together twice a month. This year marks the third season that they have competed on a banked track. To kick off the season, go out and meet the teams that keep El Paso and this sport so interesting.. Tickets are $7 in advance and $10 at the door. Tickets are available at Pershing Inn, All That Music, Blue Panda Tattoo or Uptown Cheapskate.

Sexecutioners

Also known as “SeXies,” this is the team in the league with the most championship wins. They are one of the original three teams that has been in the league since 2008.

Always crossing their arms to throw up an ‘X’ is their staple. They pick their skating song depending on the theme of the bouts. They are big into believing that anyone can skate.

Motto: Respect few. Fear none.

Chuco Town Chulas 

The Chulas have always skated out to one song and one song only, “Low Rider.”

The theme of this team captures the city’s Chicano essence. They are one of the three original teams that started with SCRG in 2008. The Chulas are one of the most relaxed teams in the league.

Motto: One block, one hit, one skate, all together, one love.

Las Catrinas

The Catrinas are one of the original teams that have been in the league since 2008. They are also last season’s champs. The Catrinas can always be seen sporting half a skull on their faces during bouts as part of their uniform. They usually get pumped with Rob Zombie’s song “Living Dead Girl.” Taking the song literally, they dress as living dead girls.

Motto: Que Vivan las muertas!

Las Viudas Negras

The newest team in the league the Viudas joined in 2012. You can always see them with spider webs painted on their faces for the bouts. The Viudas have never won a championship, but that hasn’t discouraged them from giving it their all and enjoying themselves on the track..

Motto: When spiders unite, they can tie down a lion.

Las Diablas

These female devils have been a part of the league since 2010. They are the underdogs this season that will raise some serious hell.

Motto: Getting ready to raise hell this season!