Discretion to Deny: a report explaining the negative experiences along the U.S./ Mexico border

Nina Titovets

This Wednesday the El Paso-based Borderland Immigration Council presented a report named “Discretion to Deny: Family Separation, Prolonged Detention, and Deterrence of Asylum Seekers at the hands of Immigration Authorities along the U.S. -Mexico Border“.

This report explains how respect toward human rights and dignity has been affected by the failures of immigration agencies and officials in the El Paso sector including some counties in West Texas and all of New Mexico during the Obama Administration and the beginning of the Trump Administration.

It was reported that 25 legal experts in the El Paso and Las Cruces area worked on this report which is based on in-depth, one-on-one interviews which were conducted between Sep. 2016 and January 2017. The report contains information on more than 120 cases of asylum speakers, persons requesting humanitarian parole or relief.

This report details how families were separated with children ending up in state care and how immigrants were deported back to their countries without a legal process being followed.

For more information on the report visit http://www.hopeborder.org/discretion-to-deny.