UTEP professor Zuill Bailey wins at the Grammys

UTEP+Cello+professor+Zuill+Bailey+took+home+two+Grammy+awards+on+Feb.+12.+
Courtesy of Zuill Bailey Facebook
UTEP Cello professor Zuill Bailey took home two Grammy awards on Feb. 12.

UTEP cello professor and artistic director of El Paso Pro-Musica, Zuill Bailey, won two Grammy awards for his work in classical music. Bailey was nominated for Best Classical Instrumental Solo for his performance of “Tales of Hemingway” and for Best Classical Compendium. Bailey recorded “Tales of Hemingway” with the Nashville Symphony Orchestra.

On his win, Bailey wrote in an email, “I am so humbled and so overwhelmed by this amazing moment. Sitting with my son Mateo made it even more special. This has been a wonderful journey. The CD, ‘Tales of Hemingway,’ written by Michael Daugherty and conducted by Giancarlo Guerrero, was such an exceptional experience for me and I cannot thank them enough for this honor. I dedicate this award to my mom and my family for all of their love and support. I am so grateful to call El Paso home!”

Bailey has an impressive and extensive musical background. He has bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the Peabody Conservatory at John Hopkins University and the Juilliard School. Bailey made his New York recital debut in a sold-out performance at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. He has also performed at Carnegie Hall, Disney Hall, the Kennedy Center and the United Nations.

Bailey has also performed with the Moscow Chamber Orchestra and done concerts in Australia, the Dominican Republic, France, Israel, Spain, South Africa, Hong Kong, Jordan, Mexico, South America and the United Kingdom. He has also been the featured soloist performer for the Elgar Cello Concerto at the Bard Festival.

Currently, Bailey is the artistic director of El Paso Pro-Musica, the Sitka Summer Music Festival/Series and Cello Seminar, guest artistic director of the Mesa Arts Center and professor of cello at the University of Texas at El Paso.

Bailey is also an internationally renowned recording artist. His recording “Bach Cello Suites” and “Britten Cello Symphony/Sonata” went to the no. 1 spot on the Classical Billboard Charts.

In 2014, Bailey was named Johns Hopkins University Distinguished Alumni and was awarded the Classical Recording Foundation Award. Bailey has also been on NPR’s “Tiny Desk Concert” series.

El Paso Pro-Musica hosted a live stream Grammy watch party Sunday night at Ardovino’s Desert Crossing. The event was meant to benefit El Paso Pro-Musica and support Zuill Bailey at the Grammy’s.