The stupid concept that is a New Year’s ‘resolution’

When you woke up on January 1st, you probably had one of the biggest hangovers of your life. You probably woke up craving the leftovers from the dinner you had the night before, while swearing to god you’ll accomplish every resolution you have in mind for this upcoming year. Of course, you’ll also be catching up on resolutions you made from five years ago, but never followed through on. 

To be honest, 90 percent or more of you won’t ever accomplish what you have in mind, because by mid-February you’ll forget about the gym, the healthy food and you’ll start spending money like crazy. The truth is you’re most likely not ready to accomplish the goals you have set your mind to.

Why? Because you waited until the beginning of the year or semester to start with these resolutions as if the rotation of the Earth had anything to do with the decisions and accomplishments in your life.

New Year’s resolutions are like horoscopes—it’s stupid to believe they have anything to do with reality. Many of us have seen how our families have been engaging in these kinds of rituals for decades, that we just get caught up in them without even knowing why there’s so much pressure behind making resolutions.  It’s good to have goals and resolutions, but you shouldn’t base them on the stars in the sky or by creating false expectations.

Starting resolutions on the first day of the year or of the semester is just a disguise for procrastination. Why didn’t you start a month before the year began? Because you obviously thought “new year, new me!” That is just another lie brought by the holidays.

This is coming from the guy who for the past two months has been trying to get his life together after making stupid decisions and experiencing the hardest breakup of his life. I’m trying to be positive and my goal is to overcome my depression and anxiety. And you know what? I started as soon I hit rock bottom, not when the Earth ended its rotation cycle.