Stanford and North Carolina to meet in the Hyundai Sun Bowl

Per multiple sources, the 2016 Hyundai Sun Bowl will feature Stanford, the Pac-12 representative, taking on the ACC affiliate North Carolina. The game will take place on Friday, Dec. 30, at 12:00 p.m. M.T.

Stanford (9-4, 6-3 PAC-12) finished their season winning their last five games and finished third in the North division of the Pac-12. They are led by standout running back Christian McCaffrey, who leads the FBS in all-purpose yards (2,327) and he averages 211.5 yards per game. In the team’s last five games, McCaffrey has rushed for 991 yards and rushed for 10 touchdowns.

The second place group from the Coastal division of the ACC, North Carolina (8-4, 5-3 ACC) is coming off a bitter 28-21 loss to their rivals NC State, which costed the team a bid in the ACC championship. However, prior to the loss, the Tar Heels have been a definite threat in the ACC. In week four and five of the FBS season, the Tar Heels won back-to-back thrillers over Pittsburgh (37-36) and on the road against Florida State (37-35). They are led by quarterback Mitch Trubisky who has a whopping 3,468 passing yards and 28 touchdowns.