Former Miner among top nine finalists for NCAA Woman of the Year award

Michaela Román

Former  UTEP women’s basketball player Cameasha Turner stands with eight others in hopes to win the NCAA Women of the Year award. Turner and the other finalists were announced last week for the nomination, and the recipient will be announced at an awards dinner in Indianapolis, Indiana on Oct. 16.

Turner was the 2016 UTEP Female Athlete of the Year as well as becoming the first UTEP women’s basketball player to be recognized as a College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) Academic All-American, second team and recognized as C-USA Women’s Basketball All-Academic team for two years in a row.

“Being an honoree for the Woman of the Year Award means a lot to me.” Turner said. “I was happy to find out that I had cracked the top 30, showing my hard work has really paid off with the sleepless nights and the early mornings of studying.”

Turner joins fellow UTEP alumni, Stacie Townsend, who played softball and was also nominated in 2010. Both women were recipients of the Jim Castaneda Postgraduate Scholarship award-Townsend for Business and Turner for Law School.

Turner graduated with a 4.0 GPA  with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, and a minor in psychology and legal reasoning. After graduating,Turner was accepted into Notre Dame’s law school program.

“Her work ethic is untouchable,” UTEP women’s head coach Keitha Adams said. “Her work ethic in the classroom or on the court, I never had to get her going. Her passion was displayed on the daily.”

On the court Turner made an impact becoming All-Conference USA first team and C-USA defensive honoree. Being a leader during her senor year, Turner averaged almost 50 percent from the field.

Off the court Turner participated in many community services, such as volunteering with the Special Olympics, Children’s Hospital, and SAAC Hunger. She also set up activities for the UTEP Miner Mini Basketball clinic during the academic year, and met with children battling cancer to lift their spirits.

“I really cherish this award and would like to thank El Paso for the many opportunities it had blessed me with. I love the City of El Paso,” Turner said. “They welcomed me with open arms and stood by my side even in my darkest moments. This reward is a representation of the city and the power it has to change young people for the better.”