UTEP soccer set to start C-USA play against UAB

Womens+soccer+started+their+season+strong%2C+winning+seven+non-conference+games+before+starting+their+Conference+USA+schedule.+
File Photo The Prospector
Womens soccer started their season strong, winning seven non-conference games before starting their Conference USA schedule.

After showing promise throughout their first half of play, the UTEP women’s soccer team will approach Conference USA league play after capping off their non-conference schedule. They open the second side of the schedule on Sunday, Sept. 25, at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

The Miners (7-1-2) have shown their hunger for a conference title. They have beaten the likes of Wyoming (2-0), Texas State (1-0) and Nevada (2-0) through  non-conference play. Along with North Texas, the Miners are currently ranked ninth in the NSCAA Central Region Poll, where the spots are primarily held by Big 12 schools.

The only other Conference USA affiliate in the poll is North Texas, who is sixth in the rankings.

After an astounding finish to their non-conference play with back-to-back shutout victories over Nevada (2-0) and UTRGV (1-0), head coach Kevin Cross is optimistic going into their C-USA schedule.

Cross, who mentioned at the start of the season how talented this team is, ensured UTEP’s 15th-straight season with a winning record for non-conference play.

“This is one of the best team’s we have had defensively,” Cross said. “We feel well prepared going into conference and we can do it. We know how to win and we haven’t given up a goal at home so far. We just need to bring more energy—play consistently from Friday to Sunday.” 

Leading the charge offensively is Bri Thomas and Aleah Davis, who have five and four goals, respectively. Thomas and Davis also combine for 23 total points for the orange and blue. Davis believes that the offense needs to improve on attacking quickly and maintaining a strong presence.

“We need to be getting these shots off and finishing,” Davis said. “We’ve had so many chances throughout these games, so we just need to continue working on that.”

Defensively is where the Miners truly show their utter dominance. Fronted by sophomore standout goalkeeper Alyssa Palacios, the Miners have only allowed four goals thus far. Palacios totals with an impressive 49 saves for the Miners.

“We went to Vegas and won the lottery on Alyssa,” Cross said. “She’s phenomenal. Every game she has made big saves. She doesn’t want to let her team down by allowing any goals.”

Moving into Conference USA play, the Miners will begin conference play with three games on the road. Along with UAB (Sept. 25), the Miners will take on Charlotte (Sept. 30) and Old Dominion (Oct. 2). They will return home on Friday, Oct. 7.

Adrian Broaddus may be reached at [email protected].