Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

Chihuahuas win fourth straight with win over Sacramento

Gabriela Velasquez

It was a pitching dual that was disrupted by a single inning. The game was tied at two a piece, but after recording four go-ahead runs from five hits in the bottom of the seventh inning, the Chihuahuas defeated the Sacramento River Cats 6-3 to mark their fourth straight win.

The first place Chihuahuas (31-22) have won eight of their last nine games and with a win over the River Cats on Friday, June 3, the squad can complete a four-game sweep.

“You have to get big hits in big situations,” club manager Rod Barajas said. “When we put them up against the wall, we are able to capitalize on those innings.”

Outfielder Hunter Renfroe had a monstrous game in the win, batting 3-of-4 with three doubles.

“All we’ve asked from Hunter is consistency,” Barajas said. “He’s given us solid approaches and solid at-bats and it’s only getting better. Early in the season, he was more of a roller coaster, but during these past two weeks, he’s been consistent.”

Since his transition from a relief pitcher to a starting pitcher, Frank Garces has been making some noise. This was his first career start at the home park, and although he was not credited with the win, Garces had a defiant night. Through five innings, he only allowed a run and struck out four batters.

“I think he [Garces] is doing really well for us,” Renfroe said. “He’s got great stuff. We’re pitching really well and there’s not much else you can ask for.”

Garces has not been the only pitcher who has improved for the Chihuahuas. Barajas claims that each pitcher has gradually improved their style of pitch significantly.

“The goal at the beginning of the season was for all of our pitchers to gradually improve each game,” Barajas said. “These guys have been answering the call and taking care of business.”

The game featured a close battle at first, and then the Chihuahuas broke away late in the game to cap the victory.

The River Cats clawed their way on the board first at the top of the third inning off a Austin Slater double to center that sent Gorkys Hernandez home.

Casey McElroy of the Chihuahuas responded with a RBI himself at the bottom of the fourth, which drove Renfroe in to tie the game at one. Also in the bottom of the fourth, after a failed attempt at a pick-off throw by the River Cats, Nick Noonan was able to score the go-ahead run.

Then there were two quiet innings of pitcher’s duals by both respective pitchers; however, at the top of the seventh, Ramiro Pena of the River Cats hit a sharp grounder right in the infield gap that reached center field, and the single drove a runner home to tie the game.

The Chihuahuas rally came at the bottom of the seventh inning, starting with a sacrifice fly by Carlos Asuaje to bring home Nick Noonan. Although there were two outs, Jose Pirela hit a two-run shot that lifted the Chihuahuas 5-2.

“All different guys have been coming through with big hits,” Barajas said. “Pirela had back to back nights with home runs, so it’s nice to see them keep rolling.”

After Renfroe smacked his third double of the night, Jabari Blash of the Chihuahuas capped the seventh inning with a RBI double.

The River Cats could only respond with a run off of a sacrifice fly at the top of the ninth inning. In front of 8,060 fans, the Chihuahuas beat out the River Cats for their third straight series win.

Adrian Broaddus may be reached at [email protected]