Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

Aces hit three runs in the ninth to defeat the Chihuahuas

After the Chihuahuas scored five unanswered points through six innings, relief pitcher Derek Eitel allowed three runs in the ninth inning as the Chihuahuas fell 8-5 to the Reno Aces on Sunday, April 17.

Aces catcher Tuffy Gosewisch rattled El Paso pitcher Leonel Campos after hitting a double in the ninth inning. Then, Campos allowed a walk, setting up a horrid situation for Eitel, who relieved Campos. Right fielder Jason Bourgeois hit a go-ahead, two-run RBI double, which lifted the Aces 7-5. Following the go-ahead runs, shortstop Jack Reinheimer hit a RBI single to extend the lead for the Aces, 8-5.

Reno (5-5) took the 2-1 advantage on the four-game series against the Chihuahuas (2-7).

“Reno [has a good lineup],” said manager Rod Barajas. “It’s important we don’t give them extra outs. They can be pitched to, but we just have to put up some zeros early on and try to take the lead.”

The Aces capitalized early off an error by third baseman Jemile Weeks as Kyle Jensen scored first for Reno. Following that, Gosewisch hit a RBI single to extend the Aces lead to 2-0.

Chihuahuas starting pitcher Greg Reynolds’ problems were just starting. In the third inning, he allowed three runs. After a single and an error, Reno was attacking home plate for another score. Then, Jensen hit a RBI double, followed by a two-run RBI by Bourgeois.

The Chihuahuas’ defense committed three errors in two innings.

“I feel like early on, the defense let us down a bit,” Barajas said. “You have to make plays defensively, and if you don’t, you put yourself, your team, your pitcher in a bad spot. When they give you outs, you have to take them. Right now I feel like we lack that.”

Their first hit of the game came in the bottom of the third inning when Carlos Asuaje singled to right field, followed by another hit by Nick Noonan and a bunt by Reynolds to load the bases. Despite their respective disappointing hitting slumps, Manuel Margot and Weeks drove in runners in back-to-back at bats, finishing the ending 5-2.

“Offensively, we’re doing better,” Barajas said. “Still a work in progress, but these guys are working hard. They scored five unanswered up until the ninth. We’re doing some things— we’re progressing.”

The two squads went scoreless for two back-to-back innings. Weeks redeemed himself for his error in the sixth inning when he hit a triple to center field. Alex Dickerson drove him home with a sacrifice fly.

During the sixth and seventh inning, catcher Austin Hedges took over for the Chihuahuas hitting staff. He knocked a solo-shot in the sixth inning, while hitting a RBI single in the seventh. Hedges finished the game hitting two of four with two RBI’s and a run.

“He’s (Hedges) been great,” Barajas said. “He’s building up that confidence. He’s going to get a lot of at-bats. Expectations for him to do well are very high for myself and the organization.”

In those two innings, relief pitcher Michael Kirkman threw two innings with no hits and forced a strikeout.

“I thought Kirkman did an outstanding job,” Barajas said. “That’s two days in a row where we had relievers go two-three innings and shut them down.”

Despite taking the loss, Campos (0-1) recorded three strikeouts and only allowed one hit. After the Aces rallied for the win, the Chihuahuas could not hit anything on offense for the comeback.

The Chihuahuas will finish their four-game series against Reno on Monday, April 18, at 7:05 in Southwest University Park.

Adrian Broaddus may be reached at [email protected]