Miners trounce NAU by 24

Freshman+guard+Lulu+McKinney+attempts+a+pass+into+the+low+post.+
Ruby Cerino
Freshman guard Lulu McKinney attempts a pass into the low post.

Following a tough loss at Southern Methodist University on Sunday, the Lady Miners returned home to the Don Haskins Center to host the Lumberjacks of Northern Arizona on Wednesday night. The Miners improved in almost every facet of the game from last week’s defeat in order to upend the Lumberjacks by a final score of 82-58.

Even without senior guard Chrishauna Parker, who is still sitting out following a concussion, UTEP was able to outrebound NAU 48-38. According to freshman guard Daeshianna McCants, who ended the game with eight rebounds, Coach Keith Adams added some incentive for the team to rebound better than their previous game.

“We were told if we didn’t win (the rebound battle) we would run for it, so we were trying to rebound and take the sprints off,” McCants said.

NAU sophomore guard Rene Coggins led all scorers with 22 points, hitting three of four three point shots and seven of seven from the free throw line. UTEP Senior guard Stacie Telles added 10 points and six assists, going three of four from behind the arc. Adams was very happy with Telles’s contribution.

“Stacie had a really good game tonight in passing the ball,” Adams said. “She had six assists. She got in the paint and drove some and found the open player.”

The Lady Miners never trailed after taking the lead 11 seconds into the game on a three pointer from junior forward Agata Dombrowolska. After leading the team in scoring in the two previous games, junior guard Cameasha Turner only shot one of eight from the field before sitting out much of the second half. The Miners got scoring from eleven different players and were able to extend the lead to as high as 30 points with nine minutes left in the second half.

UTEP sophomore guard Sparkle Taylor picked up some of the slack while others had an off night. Taylor led the team with 19 points coming on eight of ten shooting. Taylor attributed much of the improvement to Coach Adams.

“Me and coach had a long talk,” Taylor said. “I knew I had to redeem myself and go out there and play hard for my team.”

Coach Adams attributed Taylor’s improved play to something different.

“She had a good practice yesterday. That’s what does it. When you have good practices it dials everything up,” Adams said.

UTEP will have a few more days of practice before leaving on Sunday for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to take part in the 2014 Hardwood Tournament of Hope. The Lady Miners will next face Kansas State on November 25 at 4 p.m. in the first round of the tournament.

Jason Green may be reached at [email protected].