Miners looking for elusive bowl-bid win

Senior+defensive+back+Nick+Gathrite+leads+the+team+in+pass+break+ups+and+is+11th+on+the+team+in+total+tackles.+
Senior defensive back Nick Gathrite leads the team in pass break ups and is 11th on the team in total tackles.

After losing on the road to Western Kentucky, the Miners are back home looking to get back on track against North Texas. For the second straight week, the Miners will be playing for the chance to become bowl eligible.

UTEP fell to the Hilltoppers, 35-27, in a game where UTEP’s defense was anywhere but in Bowling Green. UTEP gave up over 320 passing yards and three touchdowns in the loss.
The Miners will have to look to bounce back at home in order to secure a bowl game.

For the second week in a row, UTEP will face a team with only one conference win and an overall losing record. North Texas is 1-4 in conference play and 3-6 overall.
Much like their game against Western Kentucky, UTEP will be playing a team with a season on the line.

Unlike Western Kentucky though, North Texas does not have a high-powered offense that puts up over 40 points per game.

Granted the record for North Texas is not strong, it is nearly identical to Western Kentucky’s, and on paper UTEP should win this game, but football is not played on paper. Case in point, last week in a game that should have been an offensive shootout for the Miners, UTEP didn’t even have 160 passing yards and although they ran the ball well, UTEP faced too many three and outs in the fourth quarter to defend their early game lead.

UTEP needs to play this game with a chip on its shoulder, go back to what has worked in the past and run the ball. UTEP has three games left to get one win and should see this game as an opportunity to get a three-game winning streak going.

In past games, it has become clear that running the ball is successful for the Miners. Having Aaron Jones back in the lineup can prove to be a big factor going into this game as the Miners can set the tempo of the game with the run. With Jones in the backfield, the Miners are a different team offensively, and it is in the best interest of the team if he plays. Head coach Sean Kugler rested Jones last week in the hopes that he would return this week healthy.

“We’re hoping to have Aaron back healthy,” Kugler said at the football media luncheon. “It was in the best interest of the team and Aaron to get him completely healthy. I didn’t want it to be a nagging and repetitive thing for him; we have a lot of football left. I wanted him healthy for the duration and I think he will be. That will be a big boost and benefit to our offense.”
UTEP will face a Mean Green defense that has allowed an average of more than 30 points per game, something that should sit will with head coach Sean Kugler in preparations for this game. When UTEP runs the ball well, they are able to establish play action that opens up the passing game—something that will help a passing offense that has hit a wall in the last two games.
The Miners will face a team whose offense resembles that of their own— a run-first, pass-second type of offense. Although North Texas has not been impressive through its passing game by only passing for 175 yards per game, their running game, on the other hand, poses a much greater challenge for UTEP. The running game accounts for most of North Texas’ success this season as it accounts for almost 160 yards per game. To no surprise, the Miners can expect a heavy dose of run plays.
“They’re getting back to their roots,” Kugler said. “They want to hammer the ball and do play actions. They’re better when they’re doing that. They have the line that can get it done. They are kind of going back to their roots and they are benefiting from it. I expect that’s what we’ll see.”
If UTEP can neutralize their running game and force them into obvious passing downs, then they can take control of the game defensively. UTEP may have the opportunity to control the game on both sides of the ball. They go into this game with a dominant running game that will have big contributors back, ones who can play this game and win.
The tone of this game will be much like the one against Western Kentucky, win and you’re bowling in December. The Miners should take advantage of this game to not only earn a bowl game, but also to regain their confidence as they try to close the season out. The result of Saturday’s game will depend on senior leadership, like it has all year.
“The strength of our team, I really felt all year, has been our senior leadership,” Kugler said. “They have bounced back from difficult games. These guys have fight in them and I think you’re going to see it one more time this weekend.”
Juan Carlos Navarrete may be reached at [email protected].