Apps that simplify the life of a student

Students check out the latest apps on their smart phones.

We are well into the fall semester and homework, exams or papers shouldn’t deter any student from keeping up with what is going on in the online world. The following apps will help students simplify, organize and protect them during overcharged days.

“Fitocracy”

This app allows you to track and log your progress with over 900 exercises for cardio, weight training, weight loss and body building. Whether you post your workouts to intimidate others or simply to intimidate yourself, this app has a built in social aspect, where you can post your workouts to fellow “Fitocrats,” who you can also challenge. By keeping up with your progress, “Fitocracy” lets you earn badges for every milestone you meet. The gaming aspect of this workout app will keep you motivated throughout the semester and help fight those winter break blues as well.

“Swift Key”

This is an app that modifies your keyboard to add features—like the sequel you didn’t know you needed. “Swift Key” is programmed to learn your writing style and instantly begins to suggest your next words. The advanced software will use your writing style to fix your typos easier and features the use of multiple languages. This doesn’t sound impressive until you realize you can write with two languages at the same time and you will never have to go back and change language settings again.

“Waze”

Are you running late to your next meeting, class or party? Do you constantly map out your fastest route and hope there aren’t any road closures or police officers to stop you? “Waze” is an app that works through the efforts of crowdsourcing, where members of the community update local maps with traffic holdups and locations of police officers monitoring drivers. Users can also input the best gas prices offered in their city, sync routes with friends and have an estimated time of arrival to a gathering.

“UpTo”

This calendar app keeps your life in order and goes beyond your average date saver. It is split into two different layers—the top layer is your day-to-day calendar, where you can schedule appointments, and the second layer keeps track of your favorite bands, sports teams and television shows. “UpTo” also syncs with your friends’ calendars so you can plan events together. This is all allowed by syncing up with your online calendars through Google, Facebook and several other online sites. Who knew calendars could be so efficient?

“Cerberus”

This app is one of the best security measures that comes with a lifetime license. “Cerberus” will let you know when somebody uses your phone with an alternative SIM card. It also gives you the opportunity to locate and track it, sound off an alarm—even if your phone is set to silent, erase its memory, hide the app from home screen, record audio and snap photos remotely. This app sounds too good to be true, but with mostly positive reviews across different websites, it sounds like it’s the real thing. While leaving your phone on the table, whether at school or at a party, is still strongly discouraged, feel at ease knowing this app will help recover it in most situations.

Most of these apps work for both Android and iOS phones, so don’t get discouraged that they may not be for you. Hopefully this list will help you navigate through your multiple lives as a serious student and weekend warrior.

Jaime Quesada may be reached [email protected].