Do you enjoy morning or afternoon classes ?

• Morning classes (74%, 14 Votes)
  • Afternoon classes (26%, 5 Votes)

Total Voters: 19

El Paso’s Border Patrol Tactical Unit and their K-9 assist named Yoda were able to apprehend Danelo Cavalcante, the man who escaped prison after being convicted of killing Deborah Brandão. Photo courtesy of USBP BORTAC
El Paso
El Paso BORTAC K9 brings justice
September 26, 2023
According to a UTEP press release, more than 3,800 students enrolled, which is a four percent increase over last year’s fall enrollment.
Campus
UTEP breaks record for highest freshman enrollment for a second time
September 26, 2023
Forward Jayde Gone kicks the ball in the air while being closely defended by an NMSU player on Sept. 21.
UTEP soccer battles to the end in tough loss against NMSU
September 25, 2023
Running back Torrance Burgess Jr. carries the ball amongst several defenders from UNLV.
Football
UNLV defeats UTEP football
September 25, 2023
Why we should learn from Mexican feminists
Opinion
September 22, 2023

Ambassador discusses Mexico and U.S. relations as part of lecture series

Jasmine Aguilera
Mexico Ambassador to the U.S., Eduardo Medina Mora, speaks at UGLC Wednesday afternoon.

Mexico Ambassador to the United States, Eduardo Medina Mora, discussed UTEP’s Washington Monthly ranking, international relations and changes taking place in Mexico Wednesday afternoon at the UGLC.

He spoke as part of the Centennial Lecture Series and was the first of fall’s lecture line-up.

“Education here at UTEP has become a socially transformative force,” he said. “Universities in the border region have a special role to play…because they intimately understand many of the challenges many of the students face.”

Mexico Ambassador to the U.S., Eduardo Medina Mora.

Mora has worked in both public and the private sectors. Before working in the U.S., he was Ambassador of Mexico to the United Kingdom from Nov. 2009 to Jan. 2013. Prior to that appointment, he held cabinet-level positions in the Mexican government.

Mora said the U.S. is trying to boost bi-national education, including bringing more Mexican students to America.

“We want to harness the type of social mobility that UTEP is distributing throughout the entire nation,” he said.

Artist Sebastian, the sculptor who designed "La Equis" in Juárez, donated a sculpture to UTEP Wednesday afternoon. He attended the Centennial Lecture Series.
Artist Sebastian, the sculptor who designed “La Equis” in Juárez, donated a sculpture to UTEP Wednesday afternoon. He attended the Centennial Lecture Series.

Mora said Mexico has been dealing with environmental, political, educational and tax reforms, among others.

“Hardly any analyst thought that transformation was possible,” he said. “It simply had to happen for Mexico to advance.”

Several members of the audience had questions for the ambassador. Senior finance major, Kevin Duran, asked about the threat of ISIS in Juárez, and Mexico’s approach to securing the border.

Mora said there is no definitive proof that ISIS has formed alliances in Mexico or will be able to reach the border.

“We take this very seriously,” he said. “We have been mapping and following every potential terrorist link in Mexico, it didn’t start on Sept. 11, 2001, it started way before. We must make our best effort to protect the border.”

Jasmine Aguilera may be reached at [email protected].