Chihuahuas roll past Rivercats to win first at home

Infielder Cody Decker runs toward home plate.

After four straight loses at their brand new ball park the El Paso Chihuahuas obtained their first victory of the season at the Southwest University Park in front of a season-high crowd of 9,395 fans after rolling  past the Sacramento Rivercats 12-3.

Third baseman Cody Decker led the way, he finished 3-of-5 and 3 RBI, second baseman Brooks Conrad also pushed three runs to complete the rout.

“We stayed relentless throughout the game. We owed this to this community,” said manager Pat Murphy.

Rivercats first baseman Nate Freiman opened the scoring in the first with a two run home run down center field and later in the inning Jake Goebbert brought in designated hitter Jose Martinez to help Sacramento jump to an early 3-0 lead.

The Chihuahuas answered back with runs in the next six innings including four in the seventh. After getting within one in the second, left fielder Tommy Medica struck a triple down right field to push the tying run.

In the fifth inning, first baseman Kyle Blanks hit his eight home run of the season to extend their lead to 5-3.

The game busted open in the sixth, with a three run lead designated hitter Reymond Fuentes hit a triple down right field to get two men to the plate and later scored four more runs in the seventh inning to secure a 12-3 victory.

“(The players) did a nice job tonight, they showed me they can do a lot,” Murphy said. “It’s crucial to go out and get every win, it was a good thing to get the first one.”

The Chihuahuas obtained their first home win in franchise history and improved to 10-18 and put an end to their four-game losing streak.

Chihuahuas will face the Rivercats in game two of their four-game series tomorrow.

Edwin Delgado may be reached at [email protected].