Engineers prepare for weekend Baja SAE competition

About 1,500 competitors from more than hundreds of universities from different corners of the globe will compete in the Baja Society of Automotive Engineers UTEP 2014 competition where collegiate students will put their designs to the test on the track.

The competition is a race where student teams design, plan and manufacture an off-road vehicle.

There will be 66 national teams competing and 34 international teams. UTEP will have two teams participating, a first for the University.

UTEP has not hosted this event since 1998. The unique landscape and mountain terrain provides a test for these engineers and their carts.

The track covers 1.3 miles of up and down slopes that will test the durability and maneuverability of the carts. The track also includes a 5 foot drop if the rider so chooses to take it.

Teams of more than 300 volunteers have worked since early January and logged more than 4,000 hours of work in laying out the choppy and jerky terrain.

The competition will take place during the April 24-27 weekend with different review points every day of the competition. The first leg of the competition is the “static” event in which the teams must pass safety regulations.

Once the teams have passed technical inspection, the teams will turn on their engines and move forward to the “dynamic” events, including a track race.

On Saturday, the teams will be tested for their carts’ acceleration, maneuverability, incline, suspension and traction.

Sunday is the climax where all the teams meet on the track and compete in the race.

Visit theprospecordaily.com for further coverage of the weekend’s events.

Luis Barrio may be reached at [email protected].