God bless gay marriage

God bless gay marriage

Among the things that make the United States great—the pursuit of happiness, freedom of speech and increasing diversity—equality is not one of them, specifically marriage equality.

Where the U.S. might be progressive and liberal in one aspect, equal rights for the LGBT community is one issue that is moving slower than a snail’s pace.

Yet another state has denied gender equality, with gay marriage being ruled unconstitutional in Michigan last week on March 21. Thanks to something written in the Bronze Age (the Bible), gay marriage in all 50 states will have to wait just a little longer.

We can all have our opinions about gay marriage and what effects it might have on our society, but the one reason why we can’t move forward on this issue is religion.

Religion has slowly but surely impeded progress. The U.S. is one of the most modern religious countries in the world. According to the Pew Research Center, 73 percent of the U.S. population identifies as Christian, which includes Protestants, Evangelicals and Catholics.

The religious text that most Christian’s follow is the Bible. It clearly states its opposition to homosexuality.

Leviticus 18:22 of the Catholic Bible states: “You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; such a thing is an abomination.”

Leviticus 20:13 of the same Bible states: “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.”

Now in today’s society we might not feel the need to execute people who practice these “abominable” acts, but we still condemn and show bitterness to the LGBT community. We might not articulate our feelings about homosexuality in the same fashion as the Bible, but we still do spew our negativity.

Whether you think so or not, if you have negative feelings towards homosexuality, it stems from the Bible. If you voted against gay marriage, it stems from the Bible. If you have ever made fun of or patronized a gay man or women, it stems from the Bible.

Religious text is the sole reason for prosecution of gay marriage and gender equality.

There are no Atheistic, Buddhist or Humanistic groups that protest gay marriage on street corners and spread propaganda about the connection between homosexuality and bestiality.

Only 17 states have legalized gay marriage. It is progress in comparison to past years, but it is not a number that we as a society should be proud of. Gay marriage has been legal in all of Canada since 2005.

Religion has only been a toxic hindrance to the U.S. The majority of Americans have pushed what should be their private beliefs onto society. Thomas Jefferson said more than 200 years ago that the majority should not decide the rights of the minority.

In conclusion, we need to understand that it is okay to have our own personal beliefs. We have freedom of religion in this country—which I am all for—but using your religion (Christianity) to perpetrate lies, myths and hate is not what this country is about.

Especially when it comes from a book that is homophobic, pro-slavery, misogynistic and has no scientific backing whatsoever as our reason to impede rights for all in the U.S.