Springing up your fashion sense: trends for women

Cristina Esquivel

With a new season comes new trends. These trends are what’s hot in women’s fashion, specifically for the warmer weather.

Crop Tops—Okay girls, I know crop tops are very 90s, however they’re totally back. Anyone can pull off this trend regardless of what size you are. Confidence ladies. Be fierce! That is the trick to pulling off a crop top. If you’re uncomfortable showing your belly some love, pair a crop top with some high- waisted jeans or shorts to still give you the chance to pull off a cute top, while hiding the tummy.

Maxi Dresses—Don’t know what to wear? Throw on a maxi dress and you’re set. These dresses are versatile because they can be worn casually during the day, or for a night out. There are plenty of variations on the maxi dress as well. Different sleeve lengths or no sleeves, slit on the side or no slit, comfortable cotton or sultry silk, to name a few. Your choices are endless since you can also rock this long-length dress with boots, sandals or heels.

Floral—Of course with warmer weather flowers blossom, they’re also blossoming on prints for clothing. Dresses, skirts, shorts, tops, you can find anything with floral patterns on them. Be careful though, too much floral can be an overload. Always pair a floral with a solid color or denim and pay attention to the dominant color in the pattern.

Pleats—Pleats are also making a comeback. They’re not just on dad’s Dockers anymore. While some might argue pleats are childish, if paired correctly they can be sophisticated and cute. I suggest pairing pleated skirts, shorts, pants or dresses with a top that has a cute collar, and finish the look with ankle boots or heels.

Faux Leather—A lot of clothes are being made with faux leather now. It might be a trim on the side of leggings, a chic biker jacket, boots, shorts, shirts or pants. Don’t be afraid to embrace the faux leather. Plus, it’s awesome to know that no animals were harmed in the making of your clothes. Some people are weary of wearing leather, because they feel it is only something punks or bikers can pull off. However, a cute leather jacket can be paired with anything to give you an edgy look. Don’t knock it until you try it.

Accessorize—The key part of putting together any outfit is to accessorize. Tights, purses, scarves, jewelry, hats, sunglasses, socks and even the nail color. Expressing yourself through accessories will totally help you get your outfit to look polished and finished. Cat-eye sunglasses are trending right now as well as sun hats.

The key thing to remember with all the fashion trends for this year is that above all wear what makes you feel confident, beautiful and fierce.

Always remember, body shaming is not cool. Love the body you’re in because you only get one.  Women of all shapes and sizes can pull off anything if they have the confidence for it. If you decide to dress with trends or not, always wear what makes you happy and unique and gorgeous.