Will you be voting in the 2024 Presidential Election?

No valentine? Let it go.

Diego Burciaga
Amanda Guillen, staff reporter

Is it the feeling of love in the air around this time of year? Or the anticipation of preparing something amazing for that special someone? Or is it the way that the love is displayed for everyone to see? I know that this holiday can be annoying and controversial to many, but it is my second favorite holiday next to Christmas.

Love is something so special and so significant––that I for one am glad that it got its own holiday. Now call it what you will—a holiday that large corporations created to make money and capitalize on fools in love—but I think that it doesn’t have to be about the money spent, but the reason it is celebrated.

Go back to your adolescence and remember sitting in class with your bag full of valentine’s cards and candies ready to pass out to your friends and classmates. Remember sitting down the night before and writing the names on the cards and debating on which one of your best friends—or maybe your secret crush—would get that big card.  Because we all know that meant they were just a little more important than anyone else.

As a teenager in high school you would wait for the day when your boyfriend/girlfriend or maybe even a group of friends asked to be your valentine. Then you would walk around the school with those obnoxiously huge teddy bears or maybe the bouquet of flowers that were left at your desk. You know that this was something that made you feel special and most importantly, loved.

Now as a college student, not much has changed. You still get that same feeling when your valentine makes you smile with that late night dinner and that heartfelt gift that they made just for you.

I do agree that this holiday shouldn’t be the only time of the year that people show their love for each other. I think it should be celebrated as a holiday and not as an excuse to show someone that they love each other this one day out of the year.

Just like Thanksgiving shouldn’t be the only day that you’re thankful for everything in life, Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be the only day that you celebrate love.

Now, I know people will read this and still be skeptical about the holiday. That is fine, but you have to also take into consideration that love is not only shared between people in a relationship, but also between friends, family and even pets.

So before you go bashing the holiday this year, think about the love you can celebrate. Maybe buy your mom a bouquet of roses or your dad a box of his favorite chocolates. Love is the basis of this holiday and who should determine who you celebrate it with?.As for me, I will be celebrating Valentine’s Day with my true love. Our plans consist of sitting on the couch with a bowl of popcorn, watching our favorite Disney movie, maybe singing a few rounds of karaoke, taking BuzzFeed quizzes and watching cute YouTube videos of kittens.

My baby sister is my faithful valentine. She is the one who I laugh with, the one who shares my love of Disney, glitter and popcorn  and is the person who I will be spending my holiday with. The Disney movie “Frozen” is our favorite movie for many reasons.For my sister it is the idea of comparing us to the princesses on the screen, but for me it is the lesson that true love doesn’t necessarily have to be between prince and princess. It can be the love between your sister or brother that can save you.

So before you diss this holiday, just remember what it is all about in the end: the celebration of love.

Amanda Guillen may be reached at [email protected].