Xitlali Herrera concludes her run as a Miner

File Photo
Xitlati Herrera was part of the UTEP team for three years. She has also played for the Mexican national team.

Senior middle blocker Xitlali Herrera has concluded her collegiate career in the U.S., after three years of playing for the Miners. While at UTEP, Herrera was a member of the Mexico’s national team and she also earned All-Conference USA in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Q: At what age did you start playing volleyball and how did you get started?

A: I started playing when I was 7 years old. I started because my mom, my older brother, my uncle and aunt played, so it’s like the family sport. I just started going to my brother’s practices and I used to play with my mom by the sideline. That’s all I do and I love it.

Q: What have you learned from volleyball that you can apply to your everyday life?

A: Teamwork–it’s one of the most important things I’ve learned from volleyball and also being disciplined.

Q: How did it feel to hear the cheers from fans, who not only came from El Paso but also those who crossed the border to see you play?

A: It was really nice and it felt great seeing all the people that came to watch me play and support me and the team.

Q: Who do you owe your success to, being both a student-athlete and a college graduate?

A: To my family, definitely–they’ve been there since day one and they’ve never stopped supporting me in every decision I’ve made.

Q: What are your overall thoughts on this season and what are you most thankful for?

A: We got a new coach (Holly Watts) and it was the first season for some of my teammates, so it was interesting playing with new people and being coached by a new coach. I’m very thankful for my teammates and the relationship I have with every single one of them.

Q: What was the reason that convinced you to come to UTEP?

A: Definitely the closeness to home. I wanted friends and family to come see me play.

Q: How much have you changed as a person after these three years as a Miner?

A: I think I’m a more mature person. I’m more responsible for the decisions I make.

Q: What is your single greatest memory as a student and as a player at UTEP?

A: As a student, I think being able to pass all of my classes while I was still learning a new language, and as a player, helping my team to grow and being named to the All-Conference team.

Q: How do you feel about graduating from college?

A: It’s great, I’m very proud of myself and I know my family is proud of me as well.

Q: What will you miss most about playing volleyball for UTEP? 

A: All the support that our fans show to us, and the way our team is always together for everything.

Q: What do you want to do with your degree once you graduate from UTEP?

A: My major is international business and I would like to work in a hotel or a tourist-related business.

Q: Who has been that one person who has guided you and stood by your side these past three years at UTEP and What is that person(s) significance to you?

A: My mom and my boyfriend–I love them both. They’ve been always there and they have helped me in so many different ways that I don’t know what I could do without them.

Q: What is it like to represent Mexico playing the sport you love?

A: It’s amazing because you are representing an entire country. It’s nice to change someone’s beliefs about your country by doing good things.

Q: What are your plans regarding volleyball after UTEP?

A: I’ll go back to Mexico to do my master’s and since I can still play over there while doing my master’s, I’ll just keep playing at another college. Also, I want to go back to play beach volleyball.

Luis Barrio may be reached at [email protected].