From Mexico with love, sculpture to strengthen bond between Mexico and UTEP

Aaron Montes / The Prospector

On Nov. 21, UTEP president Diana Natalicio, Consul General of México in El Paso, Jacob Prado presented a gifted to UTEP with one of Sebastián’s latest pieces, to strengthen bonds and honor the relationship between México and UTEP.

The sculpture is one of the “quantum” series by Sebastian that have been exhibited in México, Paris, France and McAllen, Texas. Sculptor of the Monument to Mexicanity, the 60 meter “X” in Juarez, Sebastián explained that there is no greater honor than to exhibit one of his pieces on universities around the world. He said that this sculpture has a purpose to unify México and Texas.

“To have my pieces on any university is the best thing that could ever happen to me because these places are where the essence of knowledge is, where people are striving for knowledge,” Sebastián said. “On the surface of the sculpture, we find and intersection of lines forming two “X’s” which symbolizes fraternity and friendship between UTEP and México and the two “X’s” in México and Texas.”

“Esfera Cuantica Tlahtolli” is the name of the piece, and it is inspired by quantum mathematics and will be a dynamic, rotatable sculpture. According to Natalicio, it will be available sometime in the spring of 2014.

“The sculpture will be placed on the Fox Fine Arts Center esplanade for all students to see, take pictures with it and see its different faces,” Natalicio said. “We are very grateful to Sebastián for this gift; it is truly a great honor.”

The sculpture will be 13×13 feet and will weigh around 7.5 tons. Natalicio said that it would present a challenge since the esplanade will not be able to deal with the weight.

“The piece is extremely heavy so we are planning on putting a pillar under the sculpture, because otherwise the studios and classrooms would be affected,” Natalicio said. “But this won’t be affecting the students or classes at all, so it is nothing to worry about.”

SGA President Paulina Lopez, senior corporate and organizational communications major, feels more at home with a sculpture from México to UTEP.

“I come from Chihuahua, and when I go back there I see the other sculptures of Sebastián, and having one here it makes me feel at home,” Lopez said. “A great percent of our student population is composed of Mexicans and I feel that it breathes more life into UTEP with its orange color and how it moves. This will definitely make stronger bonds and better communication México and UTEP and maybe the U.S.”

Leonardo Montañez may be reached at [email protected].