Babcock wants to leave a lasting impression

Aaron Montes
Senior forward Jade Babcock has scored 12 goals in her UTEP career, including three in the first six games of the 2013 season.

As a freshman for UTEP in 2010, senior forward Jade Babcock was rated third on the UTEP soccer team in goals, fourth in points and fifth in assists.

Now in her senior year, Babcock remembers transitioning from divisional play in Midland, Texas, to leading on the UTEP soccer field, not only in scoring but with values.

In her last season at UTEP, Babcock discusses her growth as a player since her freshman year.

Originally from Midland, Texas, Babcock was a three-year starter for Midland High School; earning varsity letters in track and field. She was also named Athlete of the Year by the school. In 2007, she earned playing time with the Nike Friendlies, a national event that hosts soccer players from around the world.

While at Midland, she led her soccer team in (31) goals and (18) assists, and won several Division l regional and national championships in 2008.

In her last season at UTEP, Babcock is seen as a major contributor and leader.

Only in their third week of play, Babcock leads the soccer team in goals with three so far this season, one in the season opener against Utah Valley and a brace against UC Riverside on Sept. 6 in the 14th Annual Border Shootout.

She brings a boost to the team and helps to motivate everyone around her, said coach Kevin Cross.

“We love Jade Babcock, she’s one of the players that has grown tremendously since her freshman year. Her mindset is really good. When you see her in action, she has a mind of a champion,” Cross said. “She has really matured, and it’s been really good watching her develop physically. She will be one of the most intimidating in our conference this season. She is focused and at the top of her game right now, playing the best soccer I have seen her play, while helping to motivate everyone around her. She has really dedicated herself too, and we are really thankful for her efforts.”

Acting not only as a leader on the team, senior mid-fielder Azia Nicholson said Babcock helps to push everyone on the team to be better.

“She’s a very explosive player, really intense. She really lights a fire under you and gets you excited during the games,” Nicholson said. “She has really improved so much since freshman year. She is the most improved by far mentally and physically on the field tactfully. It’s been really cool to watch her grow as a person and as a soccer player. It really translates on the field, and we are all really proud of her for the work she has put in. Both of us were here all summer working hard, so it’s really good to see all her hard work is paying off.”

Staying with the sport, Babcock admits the journey from small town to college has not always been easy, but she credits her accomplishments to her work ethic and her desire to remain focused.

“Going from high school to college is completely different. Midland is a pretty small town; knowing everyone in the town, playing with the same group of girls and knowing all the coaches. Then you come to college, you have to adjust to a whole new team, new coaches, the competition is elevated, “ Babcock said. “It’s a different level of focus, so I try to bring intensity. I want to win and I’ll do anything to win. It’s never a question of if I am working hard or not because I try to always give 100 percent every single time.”

Babcock is optimistic about what the Miners will be able to accomplish this season, but she also has goals for her future after UTEP. She is currently planning on graduating in May 2014 with a health promotions degree, then she is planning to continue her education.

“I really want to be a nutritionist. It’s something I have wanted to do for a long time,” Babcock said. “After graduation, I plan on attending grad school at one of the big Texas schools and completing my master’s degree in nutrition.”

Ellisia Shafer may be reached at [email protected].