Exhibit to open at Union Gallery in honor of 9/11 anniversary

File photo
The 9/11 exhibit will feature the front pages of The Prospector from Sept. 12 and Sept. 19, 2001.

The Union Gallery in the Union Building East will launch an exhibit in memoriam of the 12th anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001.

Event Services Coordinator Alexandra Garcia said that the Union Gallery is glad to have an event like this at the university.

“This is our way to have something simple, meaningful and appropriate to what the events were 12 years ago,” Garcia said. “I guess that it is up to that point 12 years later that we should keep this on the radar.”

There will be a reception open to faculty, staff and students at noon Wednesday. Beverages and snacks will be provided.

Garcia said that the gallery will have pictures and small pieces that were put together from the Union Services department as well as university faculty, staff and students.

“We try to be a venue for students, faculty, staff and even local artists to come and showcase their artwork in our gallery. However, when we find a theme that is specifically meaningful we will contribute to this,” Garcia said.

Alexis Maldonado, junior kinesiology major, said that this will help students understand the importance of the date.

“I hope to see inspirational art, of people helping one another, just something that shows the importance of September 11,” Maldonado said.

Garcia said it is important for younger students to inform themselves on the events that took place.

“It has been 12 years, many of our freshman students were very little. It is just a way to remember what happened and how it happened, just to make sure that we not only think about the bad and the tragedy, but how we were united as a nation,” Garcia said. “We want this to be a space for visitors to walk in and to reflect. We put our heart into this to make sure that it is meaningful.”

The event will run until Sept. 27. The gallery is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, and noon to 5 p.m on Sundays.

For more information, visit utep.edu/union or call Union Services at 747-5711.

Amanda Guillen may be reached at [email protected].