O’Rourke to vote ‘no’ on military action in Syria

Lorain Watters
Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) reads a resolution offered by the Obama Administration about scenarios of U.S. action in Syria.

Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) said he will vote against a military strike in Syria when the House returns next week.

The congressman announced his decision at a town hall meeting Tuesday at the Community Foundation Room in downtown. About 50 people attended.

The decision comes after President Barack Obama announced Saturday that he will ask Congress to vote on the matter.

O’Rourke immediately said that his decision had been made but wanted to hear constituent opinions.

“I am not here today to persuade, to compel or get you to change your opinion. I am certainly not advocating to go to war with Syria,” O’Rourke said.

Many shared O’Rourke’s opinions, but a few voiced opposing views saying it is America’s responsibility to protect the weak, even if it meant going to war.

Congress will reconvene Sept. 9 and will schedule a vote shortly after.

Maria Espinosa, a combat veteran for the Army who served for seven years, said she supported O’Rourke’s decision.

“I believe that before going to war with another country we need to fix the problem within our own military,” she said. “We need to abolish toxic leadership.”

On Aug. 21 a chemical attack left more than 1,400 Syrians dead, including more than 400 children. U.S. officials believe the Syrian government was behind the attack.

The United Nations said more than 100,000 people have been killed since the 2011 uprising that lead to a civil war.

Lorain Watters may be reached at [email protected].