UTEP Softball Inks Four

UTEP softball head coach Tobin Echo-Hawk announced the addition of four freshmen for the 2014 season.

The new Miners who will don the Orange and Blue are Kaitlin Fifield, Erika Harrawood, Summer Palipti and Brianna Tourtillott.

“We have a great group coming in, they’re very talented and have a lot of accolades coming from the high school level,” head coach Echo-Hawk said. “Hopefully they’re able to transition and elevate their play more and help us right off the bat as far as being impact players.”

Tourtillott played catcher and shortstop at Oregon High School in Illinois. The native of Dixon, Ill. finished her senior season with a .554 batting average. She was also named to the Unanimous All-Conference for the Big Northern West.

“Brianna (Tourtillott) behind the plate, we are looking for her to compete for the starting position,” Echo-Hawk said. “And she can also play the infield.”

Palipti pitched, played catcher and centerfield at James Campbell High School in Hawaii. The native of Ewa Beach, Hawaii tossed a no-hitter against Kapolei to win the OIA Red Championship in April.

“Summer (Palipti) is a feisty kid,” Echo-Hawk said. “She refuses to fail and do everything she can to win.”

Harrawood pitched and played the outfield at Franklin High School. The native of El Paso, Texas notched a 2.12 ERA, 15 victories and 122 Ks in 112 innings her senior season. Her efforts helped the Cougars capture the 2013 District 1-5A Championship.

“Erika (Harrawood) was the El Paso player of the year, which is a great honor,” Echo-Hawk said. “Adding her to our roster bolsters our pitching staff.”

Fifield pitched and played first base at Chapin High School. The native of El Paso, Texas finished the season with a 1.38 ERA, 15 wins and 114 Ks in over 101 innings. She established a career-high by striking out 15 against Jefferson High School.

“Kaitlin (Fifield) is a big, strong kid and is versatile,” Echo-Hawk said. “She can pitch for us and play first base and we can add her bat to our lineup.”

Information provided by UTEP Athletics.