UTEP Soccer Continues Homestand This Weekend

UTEP soccer team seeks to build on their start to the season with another  pair of home matches this weekend. The Miners (2-0-0) will challenge back-to-back NCAA Tournament participant Utah State (2-0-0) at 7 p.m. Friday before locking up with new Division I member Abilene Christian (1-0-0) at 1 p.m. Sunday at University Field.

“We are very thankful for El Paso’s support this past weekend,” Cross said. ”The city welcomed our team and gave us a huge boost to gain two big wins.

Four different Miners netted goals, with sophomore Angela Cutaia leading the way by providing the match winner in each contest. The tallies were the first of her career. Seniors Jade Babcock and Azia Nicholson also found the back of the net, as did junior defender Taylor O’Hayre with her initial career goal. Babock, Taylor Kidd and Mackenzie German each added assists.

UTEP has a 2-0-0 start for the second time in the past three years and the sixth occasion overall in the Cross era, but the road gets tougher as the Miners will face WAC Champions Utah State and rising program in Abilene Christian.

“We have a big test on Friday night with former WAC powerhouse and current member of the Mountain West, Utah State,” Cross said. “Utah State always has an awesome soccer program, winning the WAC last year and playing in the NCAA Tournament. We are going to need a strong effort from our team, and hope our fans come out to give us a big boost. Abilene Christian is a new Division I team with some quality players. They are a very up and coming program, and we will have to play very well if we expect to win.”

Utah State, which won four of the past five WAC championships, is now in its first year of the Mountain West Conference. The Aggies are unbeaten on the year (2-0-0), with home wins against Creighton (3-0, Aug. 23) and Utah Valley University (1-0, Aug. 26). Four different players have scored for the Aggies.

The Miners lead the series, 3-2, but they did fall on the road to USU, 2-1, on Aug. 19, 2012, in the most-recent match-up.

Information provided by UTEP Athletics.