Border Conference Commences

Beto+Congress
Beto Congress

The fourth installment of the Border Conference on US-Mexico Competitiveness opened Aug. 7 at the UTEP Undergraduate Learning Center.

American and Mexican speakers representing leadership from the public, private and non-profit sectors are speaking about bi-national issues affecting the borderland.

“UTEP has been a national model for colleges and universities,” said Diana Natalicio, UTEP President in her opening remarks.  “FromUTEP’s perspective, the ties between El Paso and Juarez are strong.”

The conference is expected to draw national attention to the concerns of individuals living along the American-Mexican borders.

Natalicio welcomed community members and visiting dignitaries, including Congressman Beto O’Rourke and El Paso County judge Veronica Escobar.

O’Rourke said that we, in the El Paso-Juarez community, understand the specific challenges that are unique to our area.

“We need that message to get out to the rest of the world,” O’Rourke said.

The conference continued with dialogs from US Ambassador, E. Anthony Wayne, to Mexico Ambassador, Eduardo Medina Mora.

Though the conference is ongoing, a majority of the conversation has been focused on the themes of education, economic development and creating partnerships between the public and private sectors.

John Steen, Texas Secretary of State, stressed the need to ensure the smooth operations of border communities.

The conferences proceeding will continue until 3 p.m. today.