Apple releases the new iPhone 13

Anabella Mireles

Apple has officially released its newest generation of iPhones with four different models claiming to have upgraded in design and features.   

Pre-order sales began Sep. 17 to help customers secure their orders early for delivery or pick up at the nearest Apple store. The new iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, and Pro Max release date was set worldwide for Sep. 24.  

The upgrades included in the iPhone 13 contain a brighter display, longer battery life, expansion of storage, and advancement in cameras.  

The new iPhone 13 Pro Max has a 6.7-inch screen compared to the iPhone 13 and Pro models, which have a 6.1-inch screen, and the iPhone 13 mini with a 5.4-inch screen.  

The iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max introduced a new Super Retina XDR display with ProMotion, supporting an adaptive refresh rate from 10Hz to 120Hz, for fast frame rates. Apple says the iPhone 13 Pro Max has a max brightness of 1,000 nits for specific content and 1,200 nits for HDR content.  

Also, all four iPhone 13 models are equipped with the A15 Bionic chip providing power efficiency. On iPhone 13 Pro Max, the battery life can get up to 2.5 more hours of durability, and the iPhone 13 Pro up to 1.5 more hours.    

With an increase of 128 GB storage for all base models, the price of the iPhone 13 mini starts at $699, while the iPhone 13 costs $799. The iPhone 13 mini and iPhone 13 models come in five new colors: pink, blue, black, white, and red. According to (PRODUCT) RED officials, customers who buy the red option contribute to the Global Fund to combat COVID-19.  

Meanwhile, the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max become available in four finishes, including graphite, gold, silver, and all-new sierra blue in 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB storage options. However, the option of 256 GB is the only version of the iPhone 13 that can support 4K videos. The Pro and Pro Max start at $999 and $1,099, respectively, but depending on storage, the price may increase to $1,599.  

Apple also presented the Cinematic Mode as a new feature in all iPhones 13 models. Cinematic mode is an advanced computational algorithm for video functions similar to Portrait Mode for photos. It also can record videos with a shallow depth of field and add automatic focus transitions for a cinema-grade look due to the new sensors and lenses.  

“The new camera system gets its biggest advancement ever with new Ultra-Wide and Telephoto cameras that capture stunning photos and video, powered by the unmatched performance of A15 Bionic, more powerful than the leading competition, “Apple said in a statement. 

Eduardo Flores
Eduardo Flores, Contributor/Writer
Eduardo A. Flores is a senior student at the University of Texas at El Paso, majoring in political science and double minoring in legal reasoning and communication studies. He graduated from the El Paso Community College in 2021 with an Associates Degree in Mathematics and Chemistry. He also served as a reporter and photographer at the EPCC Tejano Tribune and later became the president of the EPCC Student Government Association. After graduation, he plans to run for public office at the state and local levels.