Lorain Watters

Lorain Watters, Editor-in-chief Editor

Lorain Watters is a senior psychology and multimedia journalism major. She is currently the managing editor at The Prospector, previously holding the position of entertainment editor.

Along with the newspaper and classes, Lorain is also a part of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars honors organization on campus.

In her spare time, she enjoys reading at coffeeshops, discovering new music and driving. Lorain strives to work for the New York Times or the Huffington Post in the future.

All content by Lorain Watters
David Hantman, of Airbnb, left, says that if the data show there is a problem, the government should have a role in regulating sharing platforms. Also on the panel were John Breyault, National Consumers League; Alex Howard, TechRepublic; and Adam Thierer, Mercatus Research Center at George Mason University.

Sharing services lack regulation, enough liability, critics say

Lorain Watters, Scripps Howard Foundation Wire Reporter December 12, 2014

WASHINGTON – “Sharing is caring,” a motto taught to school children, is now weaving its way through society, allowing consumers to share anything – from transportation to food – via their mobile devices. But when rape claims against Uber...

Continue Reading
CASA members gather Friday at Lafayette Park to show their thanks after President Barack Obama’s executive action announcement Thursday night. This action will help 5 million immigrants remain in the country.

Immigrants’ message to Obama: The people have his back

Lorain Watters, SHF Wire Reporter November 23, 2014

WASHINGTON – A crowd shouted “sí se puede, sí se pudo,” or "yes we can, yes we could," echoing into the empty Lafayette Park, as they held Mexican and American flags, dancing in the winter breeze. What may have seemed like a protest from afar...

Continue Reading

Living in harmony: Republicans, Democrats, independents working together

Lorain Watters, SHF Wire Reporter November 10, 2014

WASHINGTON – The government is divided, a Democrat leading a Republican-driven Congress, but they can still work together: That is the hope of No Labels. So far, the president and Congress agree on two things: rebuilding infrastructure to create...

Continue Reading
Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert A. McDonald says that the Veterans Choice Program will be a solution for better access to health care than the current system.

VA wants better job opportunities, health care for vets

WASHINGTON – Subpar health care and benefits for veterans has been a long-term problem, but with the restructuring of the Veterans Affairs department, that may change. Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert A. McDonald said Monday that the department...

Continue Reading
Election headaches?

Election headaches?

Lorain Watters, Scripps Howard Foundation Wire Reporter November 4, 2014

Voting isn't always a smooth process, and SHFWire is following hot spots across the country. WASHINGTON – Some polling locations got off to a shaky start during the midterm elections Tuesday. Before the lunch hour hit, several counties and cities...

Continue Reading
Kent Landfield, right, says that requirements for electronic voting need to be examined and that standards need to be developed. He and others, from the right, Joseph Hall, Jason Healey, Pamela Smith and Jordi Puiggali spoke at the Atlantic Council earlier this month.

Election apps are on the rise, but online voting is not

Lorain Watters, SHF Wire Reporter October 28, 2014

WASHINGTON—Elections are just around the corner, and yes, there is an app for that. But it won’t vote for you. In a buzzing and ringing world, technology has become an integral part of society, where almost anything can be done with the press of...

Continue Reading
Tom Lea’s mural “Stampede” was the subject of a conference in Washington after it was damaged. “Stampede,” mural, 1940. Oil on canvas, 5½ x 16 feet. U.S. Post Office, Odessa, Texas. Commissioned through the Section of Fine Arts, 1934-1943. Fine Arts Collection, U.S. General Services Administration

Tom Lea’s influence in the nation’s capital, my home away from home

Lorain Watters, SHFWire reporter October 1, 2014

Walls of brick and metal surround me, and the sunsets of D.C. feel foreign on my skin. If I close my eyes long enough, the steel structures of the city melt in to the sloping brown backs of my mountains, and I’m home again, if only for a second. It...

Continue Reading
Tom Lea’s mural “Stampede” was the subject of a conference in Washington after it was damaged. “Stampede,” mural, 1940. Oil on canvas, 5½ x 16 feet. U.S. Post Office, Odessa, Texas. Commissioned through the Section of Fine Arts, 1934-1943. Fine Arts Collection, U.S. General Services Administration.

Artist Tom Lea commemorated, American murals to be better preserved

WASHINGTON – Damage to one New Deal mural sparked a national conference Wednesday to address the importance of preserving art throughout the country. The glowing red eyes of a black Texas longhorn stand out from the chaotic scene of a raging herd...

Continue Reading

Continue Reading
Ben Miller, left, says students are more likely to pick a college that offers nationally recognized degrees and a high enrollment if those universities are accessible to them.

Rankings released for ‘America’s worst colleges’

Lorain Watters, SHFWire Reporter September 23, 2014

WASHINGTON – Deadlines for college applications are looming, and deciding where not to go just got easier. In its latest edition, The Washington Monthly, a bimonthly investigative magazine in Washington, released four lists of the worst 20 colleges...

Continue Reading

White House launches campaign to prevent campus sexual assaults

Lorain Watters, SHFWire reporter September 19, 2014

WASHINGTON – Sexual assaults have become too common at many college campuses, leaving students feeling unsafe and confused when sexual assault does happen. President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden hosted an event at the White House Friday...

Continue Reading
Piper Kerman signs copies of her book, “Orange Is the New Black” about the mistreatment of women in prisons after she was given an award Wednesday in Washington for her work on prison reform issues.

‘Orange is the New Black’ author receives award for work to reform prisons

Lorain Watters, Scripps Howard Foundation Wire Reporter September 18, 2014

WASHINGTON – Piper Kerman, author of “Orange Is the New Black,” received the Constitutional Commentary Award Sept. 17 in honor of Constitution Day for her work with nonprofits and philanthropies. Netflix adapted Kerman’s memoir of her time...

Continue Reading
Wells Bennett, left, Benjamin Wittes, John Villasenor – on the screen – and Gregory McNeal say how federal and state governments regulate drones and other civilian robotics will affect when consumers can begin to use them.

Civilian robotics emerge with legislative questions trailing behind

Lorain Watters, SHF Wire Reporter September 16, 2014

WASHINGTON –Civilian robotics are next on the list for innovation, but before everyone rushes to buy their own drone kits or driverless cars, federal and state officials need to settle laws and regulations. The Brookings Institution held a forum...

Continue Reading

Rubén Salazar, the voice of a generation

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor September 9, 2014

Rubén Salazar is hunched over his desk, the typewriter’s keys shaking as he taps away the words of his latest piece for his column, This Shot World. Despite the clock sounding at 5 p.m., Salazar remains planted in his chair, black letters staining...

Continue Reading

Local nonprofit aids undocumented with civil and human rights

Lorain Watters, Editor in Chief July 8, 2014

Undocumented and poor—a common combination in people along the southwest region of Texas where individuals travel to the U.S. for any work they can find to help keep their family afloat. However, easy work that may come their way is not always fair...

Continue Reading
Special to The Prospector

Tumblr goes to the White House

Lorain Watters, Editor-in-chief June 10, 2014

President Barack Obama was invited to participate in a Q&A with Tumblr, a microblogging platform and social networking website founded by David Karp in 2007, about higher education—a first for the president and Tumblr community. Students around...

Continue Reading
Female students progress through male-dominated STEM workforce

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor May 6, 2014

Women remain underrepresented in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, according to a 2013 study done by the National Science Foundation. Women make up 58.1 percent of the overall workforce in the nation, according to the...

Continue Reading
Senior psychology major Joseph Peterson spray paints a wall in Downtown El Paso.

Psychology major spray paints the city like a canvas

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor April 29, 2014

Two giraffes share their last kiss as they are set on fire, while a panda tied to a multi-colored balloon floats over pyramids. The sky is filled with pink planets, swirling with yellow and blue gases, as a peacock walks by and says, “Keep it real.” The...

Continue Reading
Student recycles at a multi-colored recycling bin, which will be placed all around campus by summer 2014.

Miner Recycling System initiated on campus

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor April 22, 2014

By the summer, students can expect to see multi-colored recycling bins all over campus. On May 8, the Miner Recycling System will present the data collected since Jan. 21 to President Diana Natalicio, Dr. Gary Edens, Vice President of Student Affiars...

Continue Reading
Tuition increases, my wallet ceases

Tuition increases, my wallet ceases

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor April 15, 2014

With the proposal being sent to the UT Board of Regents on the 23rd, all I can think about is “why did I decide to double major?” Like many students before, the appeal to loans was irresistible. Being given “free money” for school and necessities...

Continue Reading
Proposal for tuition involves 3 percent increase

A proposal will be presented to the University of Texas System Board of Regents on April 23 regarding an increase in tuition and fees by 3 percent. Administrators said the tuition increase is needed as a result of UTEP having to implement a reduction...

Continue Reading
Uzma Yaqoob speaks about religion in Islam.

A minority within the minority: Arab heritage intersects Hispanic culture

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor April 8, 2014

“Allahu Akbar” echoes off the stucco walls as a congregation of men bow before the imam reciting prayers to Allah. A separate room in the back of the mosque is used by a group of women dressed with multi-colored hijabs and chadors. As of 2010,...

Continue Reading

Deadline extended for affordable health insurance

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor April 1, 2014

A special enrollment period has been issued by the Obama administration, granting individuals an opportunity to submit an application for affordable health care after the assigned deadline on March 31. Based on an honor system, individuals can be granted...

Continue Reading
A sold out concert

A sold out concert

Lorain Watters, Editor March 4, 2014

Green, yellow and purple neon lights danced to synth beats, thumping and pulsating against brick walls and beer bottles with the electro rhythms. The air buzzed with Digitalism. The German electronic duo made up of Jence and Ismail Tuefekci, took the...

Continue Reading
Keith Pannell, chemistry professor, is the host of 100 @ 100 at KTEP.

Chemistry professor starts radio segment to showcase campus-wide research

Lorain Watters, Managing editor March 4, 2014

At 9 a.m. on a Tuesday morning, a piano trills through the stereo speakers. Sixteenth notes crescendo and fall, melting together with an English accent. Every Tuesday and Thursday, listeners of the local NPR station KTEP can hear a four-minute long...

Continue Reading
Digitalism is scheduled to perform at 7 p.m. on march 1 at the Lowbrow Palace.

The Sun City Digitalized by Duo

Lorain Watters February 18, 2014

The German electronic duo Digitalism will perform for the first time in El Paso on March 1 at 7 p.m., at the Lowbrow Palace. The group is known for their album “Idealism,” which was released in 2007, and for their hit songs “Pogo” and “2...

Continue Reading
The girl next door: student dancer shares her story

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor February 11, 2014

Editor’s note: The student interviewed in this story asked to be named by her dancing name, “Mary.” Red lights bounce off of velvet-covered walls, reflecting on mirrors and cascading down naked bodies, sweat and glitter mixing together. Upbeat...

Continue Reading
Google Wallet allows users to link their bank accounts to a prepaid debit card. The Google Wallet offers a 24/7 fraud-monitoring system and push notifications.

Good guy Google releases innovative app for your money

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor February 4, 2014

Google has introduced Google Wallet, an app for Android smartphones and iPhones that allows users to turn their phone into their wallet. Although some might be hesitant to handing over their credit card information to Google with the recent NSA scandal,...

Continue Reading
10 million set aside for centennial preparation

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor January 21, 2014

The clanking and hammering of drills resonates off stucco walls across campus, while orange and blue banners hang above concrete rubble. With construction seemingly overtaking campus, UTEP is preparing a new face for the 100th anniversary. On...

Continue Reading
A student uses the new recycling bins placed in Union Building East.

Former student begins recycling initiative at UTEP

Students will begin to see groups of multi-colored bins on campus starting Jan. 21 as part of the Miner Recycling System’s new initiative to help the university become mindful of waste. According to Pedro Diaz, a recent graduate of...

Continue Reading

Commencement ceremony to be streamed live on KFOX-TV

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor December 3, 2013

The live stream of commencement will continue for its third semester, allowing families and friends who are unable to attend to see their students walk across the stage to receive their diploma. University Communications and University Relations who...

Continue Reading
Holiday parade route changed due to construction

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor November 26, 2013

The Celebration of Lights—an annual event where the public is invited to a holiday parade, a fireworks display and the official lighting of the Christmas lights—has been moved to Cleveland Square Park, 510 Santa Fe St., due to the ongoing construction...

Continue Reading
The Prospector staff arrives to New Orleans.

[Photo] The Prospector staff travels to New Orleans for media awards

November 20, 2013

Continue Reading
Jaime Picks Up: Episode 8

[Video] Jaime Picks Up: Episode 8

Jaime Quesada, Contributor November 19, 2013

Jaime Quesada talks with students about the results of the Pick Awards and why they think chain businesses are favored over local businesses.                 [youtube id="pCEa3IZLdSs"...

Continue Reading
Why you should choose local over chain

Why you should choose local over chain

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor November 19, 2013

Golden arches, cuddly pandas and erotic mermaids are all etched into society and are a few of the things that come to mind when we want a quick fix for our hunger or thirst. The Prospector conducted a survey for the 2013 Pick Awards, where students...

Continue Reading
Drug policy symposium brings big names to campus

Lorain Watters, Assistant news editor November 11, 2013

UTEP hosted a symposium on Monday where a group of panelists spoke about the drug war and its effects on journalists and the public. The drug war and violence involving the cartels began in 2006, peaking in 2010 after 10,500 people were killed,...

Continue Reading
Freshman business major Luis Hernandez reveals the nine staples used to close the wound he sustained on his head after the fall.

Student survives fall, shares story

Lorain Watters and Kristopher Rivera October 22, 2013

On Oct. 14, Luis Hernandez, freshman business major and pledge for the Alpha Kappa Lambda fraternity, fell from the third-floor staircase ledge at Union East to the middle second-floor staircase. After being taken to Las Palmas Medical Center, Hernandez...

Continue Reading
aaron montes / The Prospector
Feral cats are unadoptable and when they are taken to animal shelters, 99 percent of them will be euthanized within three days..

Campus cats find support through community programs

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor October 22, 2013

As UTEP continues to transform, one thing has stayed constant in the untouched shadows—the feral cat population on campus. Since its inception in 2000, the Trap-Neuter-Return program on campus has operated on-and-off throughout the years. Since December...

Continue Reading
Monastere awaits trial for fondling three women on campus

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor October 15, 2013

David Monastere was arrested on April 8 when a student recognized him as the same person who had inappropriately touched her months before. UTEP Chief of Police Cliff Walsh said Monastere was charged with a Class C assault in two cases, which are pending...

Continue Reading
Construction causes trouble for students with disabilities

As construction continues on campus, students with disabilities face difficult situations. Prior to the beginning of campus transformation, the Center for Accommodation and Support Services has tried to help these students register for classes outside...

Continue Reading
Monday evening a student fell from the third floor ledge at Union Building East to the middle second floor staircase after losing his balance. Still conscious after the fall, he was transported to Las Palmas Medical Center.

Accident at Union raises safety concerns

Lorain Watters and Kristopher Rivera October 14, 2013

Monday evening, a student and pledge for the Alpha Kappa Lambda fraternity fell from the third floor balcony at Union Building East to the middle second floor staircase. The accident occurred approximately at 8 p.m. during the Greek life meetings. According...

Continue Reading
Construction plays no favorites

Construction plays no favorites

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor October 8, 2013

Editor’s note: Check theprospectordaily.com for the complete story. It seems like all anyone can talk—or complain—about is construction. “It takes me twice as long to get to class now” or “I have to go all the way around campus just...

Continue Reading
Kinleys Tea House opened its doors Sept. 20.

Coffee and tea go their separate ways

Lorain Watters, Assistant news editor September 24, 2013

Kinley’s Tea House joins the local flavor of El Paso, sitting alongside it’s sister-coffee house, Kinley’s House: Coffee & Tea. The tea house held it’s grand opening Sept. 20. It is conjoined with GECU, a combination that I initially thought...

Continue Reading
The Affordable Care Act wants you (and your money)

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor September 24, 2013

With the Affordable Care Act rolling around the corner, I am a bit skeptical as to how far some of these benefits go. Don’t get me wrong. Having this pass will provide insurance to millions, whether they want it or not, and, ideally, help curb the...

Continue Reading
Top national jobs not common in El Paso, students consider leaving

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor September 17, 2013

As the unemployment rates in El Paso remain high, recent college graduates are often faced with making the decision to move out of the city in order to find a job that pertains to their career. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the top jobs...

Continue Reading
J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series made a deal with Warner Bros. Thursday.

J.K. Rowling partners with Warner Bros. for new series

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor September 12, 2013

With the final installment of the Harry Potter series in 2011, things have been pretty quiet—unless you re-watch and re-read the series repeatedly like myself. For the most part, the Harry Potter world seems to be fading, unless you are one of the...

Continue Reading

Students voice concerns on security

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor September 10, 2013

Robert Morales, junior criminal justice major, was on campus March 26, 2013, when an alert of a bomb threat was sent out. When he found out it was not real, he was astounded at how someone could have made a joke like that. “The guy was a dumbass...

Continue Reading

UTEP to host state of the border presentation

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor September 5, 2013

UTEP and the Borderplex Alliance will host a presentation of the State of the Border Report and discussion Friday, Sept. 6 at 3 p.m. in the UGLC room 128. The event is free and open to the public. Erik Lee, associate director of the North American...

Continue Reading

Associated Collegiate Press announces The Prospector as a finalist

On Sept. 5, the Associated Collegiate Press announced several finalists from across the nation for best multimedia news, feature and other categories. The Prospector was chosen as a finalist for best multimedia news story for their coverage on the...

Continue Reading

White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics to hold town hall meeting at UTEP

The White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics (WHIEEH) and UTEP will host a town hall meeting Sept. 6 at 4 p.m. in the Tomás Rivera Conference Center, UTEP Union Building East, third floor regarding Hispanics and STEM education....

Continue Reading

Parking lot closures begin today for Minerpalooza

Sept. 5 – Sept. 7, parking lots will begin to close in preparation for Minerpalooza. They include: Perimeter Parking Lot P-9: Thursday, Sept. 5 – the lot will be closed at 5:00 p.m. Permit holders may park in all Remote, Perimeter and Silver...

Continue Reading
Rep. Beto ORourke (D-Texas) reads a resolution offered by the Obama Administration about scenarios of U.S. action in Syria.

[Video] O’Rourke to vote ‘no’ on military action in Syria

Lorain Watters, Assistant news editor September 3, 2013

Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) said he will vote against a military strike in Syria when the House returns next week. The congressman announced his decision at a town hall meeting Tuesday at the Community Foundation Room in downtown. About 50 people...

Continue Reading

Congressman Beto O’Rourke to hold town hall meeting tonight

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor September 3, 2013

U.S. Congressman Beto O'Rourke will host a town hall meeting today from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the El Paso Community Foundation room, first floor of the Mills Building at 333 N. Oregon. He will discuss Syria-related issues and ask for public opinion...

Continue Reading

Targeted Blackboard Phishing Scam

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor August 29, 2013

Another phishing e-mail message is currently being circulated around The University of Texas at El Paso. This message pretends to be from Blackboard and states that “An important course form has been posted…”. It then asks that you sign in to...

Continue Reading

ADP Increases Support of Future Math and Science Teachers to $2 Million

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor August 28, 2013

Automatic Data Processing (ADP), Inc., a Fortune 500 company with offices in El Paso, has pledged an additional $600,000 over the next three years to The University of Texas at El Paso’s Math and Science Teachers (MaST) Academy. ADP has been supporting...

Continue Reading

Inner Campus Water Line Failure

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor August 27, 2013

There is a water line outage in the center of campus. Water service to the following buildings will be shut off while repairs are made: Undergraduate Learning Center Centennial Museum Burges Hall Cotton Memorial Hudspeth Hall Miners Hall Worrel...

Continue Reading

San Japan convention passes 11,000

Lorain Watters, Assistant News Editor August 21, 2013

Shaggy blonde hair, fake samurai swords and shouts of “konnichiwa” echoed across the halls at the San Japan: Sinister 6 anime convention in San Antonio. The sixth annual convention welcomed 11,077 fans between Aug. 16 and 18 of all genres of...

Continue Reading

Lorain Watters