StreetFest Returning to Downtown El Paso

Michaela Román
Audience members enjoy the show at StreetFest 2015.

The annual StreetFest will be back in downtown El Paso on June 17 and 18. On this 15th year of the festival the lineup features the bands Neon Trees, Seether, Collective Soul and The Goo Goo Dolls among others.

Veronica Hernandez, live events manager for Townsquare Media, said that on average, 20,000 people attend the festival.

“It is one of the longest, if not longest-running festivals in the downtown area,” Hernandez said, “We expect anywhere between 18,000 to 22,000 people to attend the two-day festival.”

The event will take place at the Convention Center Plaza, the Abraham Chavez Theatre, Arts Festival Plaza, Santa Fe Street, Main Street and San Francisco Street just like in previous years.

“The event is certainly worth attending,” Hernandez said.” It is important to the community, so that the people of El Paso have a means in which to experience live music and live art.” .

Six stages will be placed downtown, where various bands will play genres such as country, alternative, decades, Latin and indie rock. The main stage, hosted by Budweiser, will be the stage to welcome the national headlining bands.

Admission is open for all ages. General admission tickets cost $35 for a single day and $67 for both days. VIP tickets are also available, with an age restriction of 21 and older.

Freshman anthropology major, David Tanner, attended the festival last year and did not have a pleasant time due to the wide range of ages in the audience.

“The crowd was an older demographic, so no one was dancing,” Tanner said. “Everybody was just standing there with a drink in their hands.”

However, Lilian Acosta, senior media advertising major, said she’s interested in going to StreetFest because of the bands attending.

“They usually have good bands come, and for example, I didn’t really like the lineup for Neon Desert this year, but I saw the lineup for StreetFest and I really liked it,” Acosta said.

In addition to the musical festival and dozens of food trucks, local artists will be painting live for the public to watch. A car show will also be featured for all the guests and will be free of charge.

“We’ll be hosting the largest car show in El Paso again at StreetFest this year,” Hernandez said. “Admission is included with your ticket –you can see hundreds of cars on display inside of the Convention Center.”

Tickets may be purchased at the official StreetFest website at http://elpasodowntownstreetfestival.com.

Gloria Heredia may be reached at the [email protected]