Unveiling of Centennial Plaza

After several missed deadlines, the Centennial Plaza was officially unveiled to the public on Sat. April, 18.

Dr. Diana Natalicio and the honorable Kunzang C. Namgyel, Bhutanese Ambassador to the United Nations spoke to hundreds of spectators about the plaza and the Lhakhang.

There were several representatives from the Kingdom of Bhutan along with Bhutanese UTEP students in attendance.

According to organizers UTEP is exclusive in the fact that it is the only place aside from the Kingdom of Bhutan to have a Lhakhang.

Some features include water fountains, fire pits, and a stadium-like outline which surround the grass area of the plaza.

View Comments (1)
Michaela Román, Editor-in-Chief
Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief
Amanda Guillen is a senior multimedia journalism major with a minor in women's studies. She was born and raised in El Paso, Texas and graduated from El Paso High School in 2011. She has been a part of The Prospector since summer 2013 and is currently Managing Editor. She has always had a passion for journalism and plans to become a television news reporter upon graduating from UTEP. In addition to being a full-time student and reporter, she is a part of two honor societies on campus, Alpha Lambda Delta and the National Society of Leadership and Success where she participates in community service regularly. Amanda also interns for KVIA Channel 7 the El Paso affiliate of ABC. Her love for the city of El Paso is something that led her to choose UTEP as her school of choice. She has enjoyed her past 3 years at the university and looks forward to an eventful school year.