Luis Barrio

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter

Luis Barrio is a staff reporter specializing in Sports. He is also the co-host of the Prospector News Weekly, a weekly broadcast that covers all of the top stories at UTEP. He is a Senior graduating in December 2014. Luis is a product of El Paso, TX. He enjoys being outdoors and being physically active. His family comes before anything else. He is a big sports enthusiast and a fan of good movies. Luis spent the summer of 2013 interning for ABC-7 KVIA. Upon graduation Luis aspires to work for CBS as a sports broadcaster.

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever a having felt sorry for itself.” D.H. Lawrence

All content by Luis Barrio
Students switch classes by the Undergraduate Learning Center.

To Stay or not to Stay?

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter December 2, 2014

According to Economic Modeling Specialists International, in 2013 about 57 percent of graduating students from UTEP stayed in El Paso at least one year after graduating. In a Graduating Student Survey in 2013-2014, conducted by the Center for Institutional...

Continue Reading

Horrible, like a boss

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter November 18, 2014

Experts say people quit people, not jobs. Our duties and obligations in life can be stressful and downright frustrating. The last thing we need is a difficult and unreasonable boss to make our lives that much more hectic. Our demeanor and attitude outside...

Continue Reading
Senior metallurgical engineering major Fabian Alvarez smokes a cigarette after leaving campus.

Liberal arts majors smoke the most, according to study

Every year, UTEP hosts the Great American Smokeout, an event that aims to spread awareness and encourage the community to quit smoking. This year, the Smokeout will take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Nov. 20 on the third floor of Union Building East....

Continue Reading
Participants of NaNoWriMo are attempting to write a 50,000-word novel in a month. The idea is to write about 1,500 words per day.

Writers attempt to complete a novel in one month

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter November 4, 2014

Today’s culture is infested with television and web searches. It seems today, the majority of writing comes by way of social media, where users express their feelings at that moment. Reading books is seemingly being replaced by reading tweets and online...

Continue Reading

Students opt out of Halloween festivities for religous reasons

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter October 28, 2014

For some, it’s a time to be scary. For others, it’s a time to be sexy. Most trick-or-treaters will go around door to door and collect candy to trade with friends–a Kit Kat for two Snickers, depending on your favorite Mathew Hernandez, junior kinesiology...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly: Sports October 27

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter October 27, 2014

Continue Reading
Some Starbucks employees make $9.25 per hour, which is still not enough for most students to get by.

Surviving on minimum wage not easy for El Pasoans

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter October 21, 2014

It’s a typical Sunday evening at Starbucks. The coffee is brewing, students are glued to their laptop screens and Frank Sinatra’s “The Summer Wind” wafts through as they’re studying. It’s also the time when Ryan Bustamante clocks out from...

Continue Reading
November ballot to include prop for highway funds

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter October 14, 2014

Construction, construction, construction—it seems it never ends on campus and throughout the city. A new proposition may mean El Paso may see a lot more construction in the years to come. Come Nov. 4, voters in the general election will have the option...

Continue Reading

Student participation increases for homecoming events

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter October 7, 2014

Richard Daniel, executive director of alumni relations, said he has noticed an increase in student participation every year for homecoming and student participation in campus events in general. “When I was here seven years ago, I didn’t see students...

Continue Reading
In spring of 2011, UTEP and Seokyeong University in South Korea began a partnership that allows students to earn a dual-degree in the metallurgical and materials engineering program.

Influx of Korean students study 3D printing

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter September 30, 2014

Walk into Burgess Hall, across from the bookstore, and take the elevator to the first floor. There, you will find Namsoo Kim and his research team hard at work trying to revolutionize the 3-D printing industry. In spring of 2011, UTEP and Seokyeong University...

Continue Reading
24th Minerpalooza biggest one yet

24th Minerpalooza biggest one yet

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter September 23, 2014

It is estimated that the participant turnout for this year’s centennial Minerpalooza was in the neighborhood of 30,000-35,000, according to Christian Corrales, employer and community relations manager for the office of the Vice President for Student...

Continue Reading
Ballet Floklorico Flor y Canto, Inc. performs at the union.

UTEP celebrates Hispanic heritage

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter September 16, 2014

UTEP is well into celebrating Hispanic heritage. The celebration began in late August and will continue into early November. Traditionally, Hispanic Heritage Month takes place between Sept. 15 and Oct. 15. The celebration encompasses presentations on...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly (Sports) Sept. 15, 2014

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter September 15, 2014

Continue Reading

The Bear and his road to glory

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter September 9, 2014

Donald Lee Haskins, nicknamed “The Bear,” was born during the Dust Bowl era in 1930 in Enid, Oklahoma.  Unlike the rest of the country, Haskins said he learned early not to be caught up in the prejudices of race. In the spring 2006 issue of NOVA...

Continue Reading
The current UTEP library under construction in 1980

Library evolves to provide resources to students

The UTEP Library currently holds more than one million books to go along with government documents, micro-films that help keep 100-year old newspapers intact, art collections, computer labs and meeting rooms at the students’ disposal. It is a little-known...

Continue Reading
Rory revives golf

Rory revives golf

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter August 11, 2014

There’s a new sheriff in town and his name is Rory McIlroy; and how about that golf swing. Most think a new era of golf is now underway. People are now officially labeling Rory McIlroy the “new Tiger.” Some media outlets are going so far as to say...

Continue Reading

Winners of 2014’s NBA free agency

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter July 22, 2014

The culture of today’s NBA is profoundly different than the NBA of 30 or even 20 years ago. Today, for the most part, players rarely stay in one place for an entire career. Granted, there are still winners to be named in this summer’s free agency...

Continue Reading
Senior Quaterback Jamiell Showers is expects the Miners to turn things around and make a splash in Conference USA

UTEP football ready for new start

The UTEP football team is on its way to Alpine for training camp and despite being picked to finish dead last in the conference by 13 coaches, optimism within the team remains high, especially on defense. “I love going away to camp and the chemistry...

Continue Reading
Chihuahuas win in walk-off fashion

Chihuahuas win in walk-off fashion

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter June 28, 2014

The El Paso Chihuahuas beat the Tacoma Rainiers on a hot summer midday by a score of 7-6. Jeff Francoeur hit a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth inning. Good player execution and managerial strategy helped win this game. This game was originally...

Continue Reading
Junior All-American Anthony Rotich is one of the most decorated Track and Field athletes in the program’s history after three years

The man, the myth, the legend—Anthony Rotich

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter June 24, 2014

Coming from humble beginnings in Nairobi, Kenya, junior distance runner Anthony Rotich has risen to stardom in his three years at UTEP, and his path to greatness started long before his arrival to El Paso. Growing up, in order to get to school, Rotich...

Continue Reading
Rotich is the third Miner in the program’s history to win consecutive titles in the 3,000-meter steeplechase

Rotich sees double at NCAA championships

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter June 17, 2014

He did exactly what was expected from him and his head coach—win. Anthony Rotich made NCAA and UTEP history, when the seven-time All-American became the first male athlete in Division I history to win both the indoor mile and 3,000-meter steeplechase...

Continue Reading
Miners advance to NCAA Championships

Miners advance to NCAA Championships

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter June 10, 2014

Eugene, Oregon will be the site of the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships from June 11-14. It will be the culmination of a season based on the discipline and hard work of every athlete in the country who performed well enough to qualify for a...

Continue Reading
Supreme court hears appeals by penalized SGA campaigners

Luis Barrio and Jose Soto May 8, 2014

Several hearings were held in front of the Student Government’s Supreme Court at the SGA’s offices on May 7 as the result of alleged improprieties on the part of candidates before and during the SGA elections, which were held April 30 – May 1. The...

Continue Reading
End of a long difficult road for Hohman, Leasau

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter May 6, 2014

Leaders come in all forms. For some people, it’s about being vocal and encouraging to teammates. For others, they might be a little more of the silent type, but make up for it by simply leading by example. For seniors Colleen Hohman and Alanna Leasau,...

Continue Reading
Junior oufielder Ashley Eldridge observes the ball pass on its way to the plate.

Final home series ends on a bitter note

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter April 29, 2014

The UTEP softball team concluded their last home series April 27, as the Miners fell to the Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners in two of the three games played. With two setbacks against UTSA, postseason play is now out of reach for the Miners. They will...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly April 25, 2014

Amanda Guillen and Luis Barrio April 25, 2014

The Prospector News Weekly covers all the top stories that affect the students at The University of Texas at El Paso. This week in news, the Baja SAE will take place from the 24th to the 27th of April,Sexual Assault Awareness month leads to unity through...

Continue Reading
Engineers prepare for weekend Baja SAE competition

Luis Barrio, Staff reporter April 24, 2014

About 1,500 competitors from more than hundreds of universities from different corners of the globe will compete in the Baja Society of Automotive Engineers UTEP 2014 competition where collegiate students will put their designs to the test on the track. The...

Continue Reading
Sprinter A-Shawni Mitchell sprints at Kidd Field during the UTEP Invitational on April 12.

Track set to impress at Drake Relays

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter April 22, 2014

Being a little less than a month away from the Conference USA Outdoor Championships, the Miners are headed to Des Moines, Iowa, to compete at the 105th Drake Relays April 24-26. The competition is actually a weeklong event, but the Miners will not...

Continue Reading
Miner Fan Club President, Larry Rodriguez, will be inducted in the El Paso Hall of fame on April 30.

Fan club president to be inducted to EP’s Hall of Fame

Hall of famers can come in many forms, shapes and sizes. It isn’t just for the tall and athletic, or just for the coaches. Larry Rodriguez stands at 5 feet, 6 inches tall, but don’t let his size fool you. He became an Army officer after graduating...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly April 17, 2014

Amanda Guillen and Luis Barrio April 17, 2014

The Prospector News Weekly covers all the top stories that affect the students at The University of Texas at El Paso. This week in news, UTEP student Leo Aguirre will showcase his short film at The Cannes Film Festival,The High Noon Music Series allows...

Continue Reading
Sophomore running back Autrey Golden breaks a tackle from senior linebacker Anthony Puente during the Orange and Blue Game on April 11.

Defense shines in spring game

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter April 15, 2014

For some, the spring scrimmage is a teaser because it means football is back, For coaches, it’s an opportunity to evaluate players and go further into making their final roster moves. For players, it’s the joy of being able to put on the pads and...

Continue Reading
Junior infielder Ashley Eldridge attempts to hit the ball against Middle Tennessee.

Miners sweep Blue Raiders

On April 13, the UTEP softball team completed a series sweep over the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders with their bats and backs against the wall. Over the weekend, UTEP showed the power of its bats. They tallied 39 hits that produced 24 runs; six balls...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly: April 11, 2014

Amanda Guillen and Luis Barrio April 11, 2014

The Prospector News Weekly covers all the top stories that affect the students at The University of Texas at El Paso. This week in news, UTEP hosted a tuition forum, a screening of Ruben Salazar: Man in Middle was held at the Union, and a full week of...

Continue Reading
Sparkle Taylor (left), Cameasha Turner (middle) and Chrishauna Parker (right) celebrate 66-63 victory over South Dakota State on April 2.

Record-setting season comes to a close

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter April 8, 2014

The 2013-2014 women’s basketball team may go down as one the greatest women’s team in the 40-year program history. The achievements of this team go beyond all the records they have broken this season. This team attracted people in droves during its...

Continue Reading

Rutgers break UTEP hearts with 56-54 win in WNIT Final

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter April 5, 2014

The Rutgers Scarlet Knights claimed a 56-54 victory over UTEP in the WNIT championship game in front of a sold out crowd at the Don Haskins Center. UTEP tied the game at 54 with a loose-ball recovery by Chrishauna Parker with eight seconds remaining....

Continue Reading
Recreation Center, best tool to keep in shape

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter April 1, 2014

By Luis Barrio The Prospector Some students have claimed it “a home away from home.” The Student Recreation Center offers a place for students to get away from the stress and pressures of exams, papers and midterms. The $32-million tri-level...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly March 28, 2014

Luis Barrio and Amanda Guillen March 28, 2014

The Prospector News Weekly covers all the top stories that affect the students at The University of Texas at El Paso. This week in news, The Indian Student Association will host the second annual Holi The Festival of Colors, Wendy Davis makes a stop in...

Continue Reading
Kelli Willingham attempts a layup up over Buffs defender Arielle Roberson.

UTEP takes down Colorado 68-60 to advance to WNIT quarterfinals

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter March 28, 2014

Led by the winningest class in program’s history, the UTEP Miners came out firing in all cylinders as they secured their spot in the WNIT quarterfinals. The magnitude of the spirit, intensity and home crowd all contributed UTEP’s 68-60 over the...

Continue Reading
UTEP swept by North Texas, fall to tenth place

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter March 25, 2014

UTEP was riding the momentum of a three-game sweep March 15 and 16 against Louisiana Tech, coming into the three-game home series against North Texas. This Mean Green team was at the top of the Conference USA standings. The Miners dropped all three...

Continue Reading
Miners defeat Gaels, advance to WNIT regional semis

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter March 24, 2014

The UTEP women’s basketball team once again in a close game came out on top and defeated the Saint Mary’s Gaels 76-64 in the second round of the WNIT. With the Miners have earned the right to host another WNIT game as they will take on the Colorado...

Continue Reading
UTEP takes down Arkansas State 74-64

UTEP takes down Arkansas State 74-64

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter March 21, 2014

The UTEP women’s basketball team made their debut in the NIT asthey hosted the Sun Belt regular season champions the Arkansas State Red Wolves and came out ahead in the end 74-64. Both teams were tied at the half but UTEP came out with a 15-4 run...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly:March 21

Amanda Guillen and Luis Barrio March 21, 2014

The Prospector News Weekly covers all the top stories that affect the students at The University of Texas at El Paso. This week in news, UTEP will host its annual TCM event, this is the longest running tradition here at the university, and a student organization...

Continue Reading

New plans for commencement ceremony announced

Luis Barrio, Staff reporter March 18, 2014

UTEP officials discussed plans for the 2014 spring commencement ceremony Tuesday morning at the Peter and Margaret De Wetter Center. This announcement also kick started the annual Grad Fair, where graduating students can purchase regalia, invitations...

Continue Reading
Senior Kayla Thornton becomes the all-time leading scorer in UTEP’s history during the Conference USA Tournament.

Record-setting team falls short, will play NIT

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter March 18, 2014

Although UTEP was ousted from the Conference USA tournament by Southern Mississippi in an 84-70 game on March 14, seniors Kayla Thornton, Kristine Vitola and Kelli Willingham will still get a shot at postseason play, most likely a high seed in the Women’s...

Continue Reading
Tulsa overpowers Louisiana Tech to earn NCAA bid

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter March 15, 2014

Led by sophomore guard James Woodard the Tulsa Golden Hurricane conquered the Conference USA Championship with a 69-60 victory over No. 1 seed Louisiana Tech in the Conference USA Championship and punched its automatic bid for the NCAA Tournament. They...

Continue Reading
Golden Eagles second half surge takes down UTEP

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter March 14, 2014

The Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles spoiled UTEP’s chances of making an NCAA appearance as they defeated the Miners 84-70 and will advance to the championship game to face the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders on Saturday in the championship game. Although...

Continue Reading
FIUMidTen

[Photo] Middle Tennessee handles Florida International 64-57

Continue Reading
MidTenvsUAB

[Photo] No. 22 Middle Tennessee survives UAB scare

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter March 13, 2014

Continue Reading
Louisiana Tech crushes Charlotte 86-65

Louisiana Tech crushes Charlotte 86-65

The winner of the last quarterfinal game tonight would have the difficult assessment of taking on the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles in the semifinals on Friday. That team would be the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs. Louisiana Tech came out victorious...

Continue Reading
Blue Raiders cruise past Monarchs

Blue Raiders cruise past Monarchs

In the second game of the quarterfinals in the Conference USA tournament, Middle Tennessee used some pesky defense with some good rim protection in the paint and good game management from their senior point guard Tweety Knight to beat the Old Dominion...

Continue Reading

UTEP runs past Pirates 77-68, will face Golden Eagles in quarterfinals

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter March 12, 2014

The UTEP men came into the Conference USA tournament with a first-round bye and a No. 5 seed facing No. 12 East Carolina. UTEP never trailed in the game and led by as much as 23 early in the second half. They rolled past the Pirates 77-68. UTEP...

Continue Reading
Jonathan Stark leads Tulane in win over North Texas

The No. 7 seed Tulane Green Wave came off a one-game bye and defeated the No. 10 North Texas Mean Green Eagles 66-61. This is a game that the Green Wave never led until the 6:25 mark of the second half with a pair of free throws. North Texas led by...

Continue Reading
Marshall holds on to early lead to upset Florida Atlantic

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter March 11, 2014

In the second game of the men’s tournament, the Marshall Thundering Herd defeated the Florida Atlantic Owls 63-59. Marshall was led by sophomore guard Chris Thomas who scored 21 points and put the game out of reach for the Owls with two late free-throws....

Continue Reading
UNTvsRice

[Photo] North Texas comes back to defeat Rice in overtime

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor March 11, 2014

Continue Reading
Tulsa hands UTEP second straight loss

Tulsa hands UTEP second straight loss

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter February 28, 2014

It was a bitter ending tonight in the regular season home finale for the UTEP seniors, forward John Bohannon and Tyler Tafoya. The Miners tried but too many turnovers in the game resulted in a 60-65 game to the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes. It’s the...

Continue Reading
UTEP downs East Carolina 81-74

UTEP downs East Carolina 81-74

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter February 22, 2014

The UTEP women’s basketball team defeated the East Carolina Pirates 81-74 and climbed to second place in Conference USA only behind Middle Tennessee State. Sophomore guard Jenzel Nash called it the most physical game of the year. In their bout versus...

Continue Reading
Junior point guard C.J. Cooper has scored more than 10 points per game in eight of the last nine Miners games.

Crucial road trip for Miners

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter February 18, 2014

The Miners who are currently on a three-way tie in the lead in Conference USA, will have two crucial road games that could determine their fate   come selection sunday on March 16. Conference USA may have a chance to send two schools to the NCAA Tournament....

Continue Reading
Bortley late three-pointer holds off Miners late rally

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter February 13, 2014

The wavelength of emotions went from unmitigated jubilance when junior guard C.J. Cooper hit the go-ahead three-pointer with 12 seconds remaining to a shocked, collapsed feeling of heartbreak when Florida Atlantic’s freshman guard Marquan Botley hit...

Continue Reading
Patricia Flores known as Miss Pat has been attending UTEP games since the late 1980s.

The most loyal and dedicated Miners fan

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter February 11, 2014

Florida International’s women’s basketball team is being introduced in the starting lineups. As the PA announcer calls out each player’s name, everyone in the surrounding sections knows what follows. “Who?!” is what longtime UTEP fan Patricia...

Continue Reading
Miners end on 16-5 run to defeat Louisiana Tech

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter February 5, 2014

The Miners battled in a tough dogfight tonight and used crucial last minute stops to defeat the Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters by a score of 85-75 for a fifth straight win. Despite winning the turnover margin and outrebounding the Lady Techsters, the...

Continue Reading
Softball begins new era under Echo-Hawk

Softball begins new era under Echo-Hawk

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter February 4, 2014

Athletic Director Bob Stull announced in May 2013, that Kathleen and James Rodriguez would no longer be head coaches of the UTEP softball program. Now the program is under the direction of Tobin Echo-Hawk, who was introduced as head coach in June 2013. “It’s...

Continue Reading
Irene Gari scores 18 as Miners roll over Herd 77-50

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter January 29, 2014

Tonight the Miners handled the Marshall Thundering Herd by a score of 77-50 and are now riding a three game victory streak. It comes off the heels of the Miners dropping two games in a row. The Miners are back to their old ways of winning. The Miners...

Continue Reading
On Feb. 7, renowned philosopher, scholar and activist Cornel West will be delivering a presentation at the Magoffin Auditorium to celebrate Black History Month.

Cornel West, philosopher and activist, to visit campus for Black History Month

Luis Barrio, Staff reporter January 28, 2014

Renowned philosopher, scholar and activist Cornel West will be delivering a presentation Feb. 7 at the Magoffin Auditorium to celebrate Black History Month. West is a Class of 1943 University Professor in the Center for African American Studies at...

Continue Reading
Men’s 4x4 relay members Abiola Onakoya (left) and Carnell Horn (right) warmup at the Kidd Field.

Strong start for track and field

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter January 28, 2014

The UTEP track and field team has started their indoor season on a bright  note. Their individual accomplishments have also earned them many gold medals. At the beginning of the season, the men’s squad were ranked 22nd nationally. The men’s...

Continue Reading
Miners handle Roadrunners 81-62

Miners handle Roadrunners 81-62

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter January 25, 2014

The UTEP men’s basketball team won their fourth in a row as they defeated the UTSA Roadrunners 81-62. Head coach Tim Floyd his 400th victory as a college basketball coach. The Miners had four players in double figures junior forward Julian Washburn...

Continue Reading

UTEP centennial exhibit unveiled at airport

Luis Barrio, Reporter January 24, 2014

Visitors to the El Paso International Airport can now see UTEP’s historical significance and Bhutanese architecture while waiting for a flight or grabbing a cup of joe. An exhibit commemorating UTEP’s 100 years was unveiled Friday at the airport,...

Continue Reading
UTEP storms back to defeat Golden Eagles in overtime

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter January 22, 2014

The UTEP women’s basketball team used a big second half rally to complete their biggest comeback win in school history against the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles. The Miners scored 58 points in the second half to tie the game at 76 and force...

Continue Reading
UTEP, along with Southern Mississippi and UTSA, are three of the seven schools with a 2-2 record in Conference USA.

Seeking to bounce back

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter January 21, 2014

After a 13-2 start this season, the UTEP women’s basketball team lost two straight contests. First, at the hands of Middle Tennessee State on the road on Jan. 15 and to Charlotte on Jan. 18 at the Don Haskins. On Jan. 15, the Miners took on preseason...

Continue Reading
Juniors Martin Simonsen and Jacob Loya will likely make the five man squad for the Arizona Intercollegiate, which takes .place Jan. 27-28.

Arizona Intercollegiate opens spring season

With the second half of the season approaching, the UTEP men’s golf team is preparing for the Arizona Intercollegiate tournament to be held Jan. 27 and 28 in Tucson, Ariz. This is the first year the tournament will be held at the Sewailo Golf Club....

Continue Reading
UTEP upends Golden Hurricane 97-66

UTEP upends Golden Hurricane 97-66

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter January 11, 2014

Four different Miners had double digits as the UTEP women’s basketball team cruised past the Tulsa Golden Hurricane 97-66 at the Don Haskins Center. The big story was not the romping UTEP put on Tulsa, but the 22 points and record tying 20 rebounds...

Continue Reading
UTEP womens basketball finish year with victory over Tigers

UTEP women’s basketball finish year with victory over Tigers

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter December 29, 2013

For a while it wasn’t the way they drew it up, but in the end the Miners and their full-court trap proved to be too much to handle for the Texas Southern Tigers. The Miners now 11-1 surged in the second half to defeat the Tigers 81-54. “We were...

Continue Reading
Washburn leads UTEP past Montana State 70-55

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter December 23, 2013

The Miners won their third straight game Monday night by defeating the Montana State Wildcats 70-55. Once again, the Miners did it with defense and holding their opponent to a low shooting percentage, 34.5 percent. Junior guard/forward Julian...

Continue Reading
New Orleans stuns UTEP with its first road win in two years

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter December 17, 2013

The UTEP Miners, who came in tonight with a 5-4 record, were stunned by the New Orleans Privateers at the Don Haskins Center, 71-69. Junior forward Cedric Lang missed a put-back layup to send the game into overtime, after Jalen Ragland missed a...

Continue Reading
Aiming for 7-0 start against Aggies

Aiming for 7-0 start against Aggies

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter December 3, 2013

After a 6-0 start, the women’s basketball team will now travel to Las Cruces, N.M. on Dec. 3 for the rematch against their rivals, the New Mexico State Aggies. In the first outing between the Miners and the Aggies, the Miners had four players score...

Continue Reading
Xitlati Herrera was part of the UTEP team for three years. She has also played for the Mexican national team.

Xitlali Herrera concludes her run as a Miner

Senior middle blocker Xitlali Herrera has concluded her collegiate career in the U.S., after three years of playing for the Miners. While at UTEP, Herrera was a member of the Mexico’s national team and she also earned All-Conference USA in 2011, 2012...

Continue Reading
UTEP finished its first season under new head coach Holly Watts 14-14, 7-7 in Conference USA.

A learning experience in the first year under Watts

The first season of volleyball under new head coach Holly Watts ended with a 14-14 record for the Miners. The new era of UTEP volleyball finished in the first round of the Conference USA Championships after a ninth-place finish in conference. Watts...

Continue Reading
The Miners have began their 2013-14 season with six straight victories and have won those games with a 29-point margin average

UTEP beats Texas State for third-best start in school history

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter November 30, 2013

Senior forward Kayla Thornton led the UTEP women's basketball team with 17 points and nine rebounds to take down the Texas State Bobcats 73-60. UTEP led by 18 at the half, but the Bobcats who came into the game riding a four-game losing streak,...

Continue Reading
Miners use big second half to top Bears

Miners use big second half to top Bears

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter November 27, 2013

Despite trailing Northern Colorado 24-21 and being outrebounded by the Bears 31-10 at the half, the Miners used a big second half to defeat the Bears 63-40. The last time the Miners trailed at halftime was March 14 last season in the Conference...

Continue Reading
Womens basketball take down Lumberjacks for biggest win in school history

Women’s basketball take down Lumberjacks for biggest win in school history

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter November 22, 2013

The UTEP women’s basketball team made history tonight as they defeated the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 92-43, the 49-point win is the largest margin of victory in school history against another Division I team, surpassing a 46-point win over Texas...

Continue Reading
UTEP defeated East Carolina in three straight sets on Nov. 17, Xitlali Herrera is one of the seniors on the team.

UTEP to take on Southern Miss in C-USA Tournament

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter November 19, 2013

It was a whirl of emotions in Memorial Gym when the UTEP Volleyball team swept the East Carolina Pirates 3-0 (30-28, 25-20, 25-23) in their season finale along with celebrating its five seniors in their final regular season as Miners. The team is now...

Continue Reading
Miners top the West Alabama Tigers 67-46

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter November 17, 2013

After a less than encouraging effort against rival New Mexico State Aggies, the UTEP men's basketball team came out in their Battle 4 Atlantis home game and defeated Division II opponent West Alabama 67-46. The Miners had four players in double figures....

Continue Reading
Miners crush rivals New Mexico State 94-69

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter November 12, 2013

After a disappointing defensive effort by the UTEP women’s basketball team, the Miners stormed to a 24-8 run in the second half and easily defeated the New Mexico State Aggies 94-69. The Miners were led in scoring by El Pasoans senior...

Continue Reading
Senior Kayla Thornton with a layup against the Texas Permain Basin Falcons. She contributed with nine points in the season opener.

Miners face Aggies for first real test of season

Luis Barrio, Contributor November 12, 2013

The next chapter in the Battle of I-10 for UTEP’s women’s basketball takes place on Nov. 12 at the Don Haskins Center. The Miners will collide with the New Mexico State Aggies, which will give fans a good understanding of where both teams stand...

Continue Reading
Sophomore Anthony Rotich conquered his second consecutive conference title on Nov. 5.

Rotich leads Miners to regional qualifiers

The UTEP cross-country team is preparing for the NCAA Mountain Region Finals on Nov. 15 in Ogden, Utah. The Miners were edged by Rice by one point and landed in fourth place at the Conference USA Championships on Nov. 5. Tulsa finished on the top spot...

Continue Reading
Miners cruise past Texas Permian Basin

Miners cruise past Texas Permian Basin

Luis Barrio, Staff Reporter November 8, 2013

UTEP women’s basketball came out a little rusty at the beginning with some unforced turnovers, but cleaned it up defensively and never looked back and crushed the Texas-Permian Basin Falcons 75-58. Led by junior guard Chrishauna Parker who came off...

Continue Reading
The Don Haskins Center got a make over and a new floor and design that will be used for the 2013-14 season and the 2014 Conference USA Basketball Championships in March.

Don Haskins gets new floor and design

Luis Barrio, Contributor November 5, 2013

After 25 years, the Don Haskins Center has a new floor for the 2013-14 basketball season as well as for the 2014 Conference USA Basketball Tournament. UTEP joins the list of schools that have changed the layout of their basketball floor such as Nebraska,...

Continue Reading
Junior guard Cameasha Turner drives the ball to the rim on the Women’s basketball exhibition game on Nov. 2 against St. Mary’s(TX).

Back in the hunt for title

After a 22-10 season last year, the UTEP women’s basketball team is looking to come back and fight once again for the title in Conference USA. The Miners return four of their starters from last season, including two key players that are back from...

Continue Reading
Simonsen leads Miners to fifth place finish at UTEP Invitational

Luis Barrio, Contributor October 29, 2013

It was a bit of a bittersweet ending for the team as they finished fifth out of 15 teams. The New Mexico State Aggies were crowned as champions of the tournament ahead of Colorado, San Jose State, Kansas State and UTEP. “I think we did make some...

Continue Reading
Senior midfielder Tori Martyn dribbles and attempt to elude two Utah State defenders on Aug. 30 at University Field

Finding success on the field and in the classroom

Luis Barrio, Contributor October 8, 2013

A native of St. Albert, Alberta, Canada, senior midfielder Tori Martyn is in the final season of her soccer career at UTEP. Martyn’s perspective is simple–this season for her is about playing well and soaking it all in. “Trying to hold onto...

Continue Reading
Senior midlfielder Gina Soto dribbles her way to the UC Riverside penalty box on Sept. 6 at University Field.

Mental strength the key for success for Gina Soto

Luis Barrio, Contributor September 24, 2013

Gina Soto, senior midfielder, said that she takes after her father when it comes to spontaneity. But when it comes to soccer and her ambition to improve, she sticks to the same concepts, patience and attention to detail like her mother. Acknowledging...

Continue Reading
The Sun Bowl opened its doors on Sept. 21, 1963.

Sun Bowl celebrates 50th birthday

Luis Barrio, Contributor September 20, 2013

UTEP will host the Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners on the 50th birthday of the Sun Bowl stadium. The stadium hosts one the nation’s longest running bowl games in college football. It’s a place that screams home-field advantage being situated in a...

Continue Reading
Miners open UTEP Invitational with win over Southern and loss to Oral Roberts

Luis Barrio, Contributor September 6, 2013

Coming off a tough season opening schedule versus the reigning National Champions, Texas Longhorns, and powerhouse programs San Diego and Hawaii, the Miners began their season home debut against Southern and won in straight sets (25-17, 25-22, 25-16). “It...

Continue Reading
Five different students participated in the teams’ tryouts on Aug. 30 at Kidd Field.

UTEP cross country preparing for a new season

Luis Barrio, Contributor September 3, 2013

The UTEP cross country team is about to open their season, and the coaching staff held tryouts for the team on Aug. 30 seeking to build a more competitive team. Led by head coach Paul Ereng, gold medalist at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, the cross...

Continue Reading
UTEP Volleyball Set for New Challenge

UTEP Volleyball Set for New Challenge

Luis Barrio, Contributor August 27, 2013

UTEP volleyball is set to open their 2013 campaign facing three of the best teams in the nation at the 2013 Chevron Rainbow Wahine Invitational from Aug. 30 to Sept. 1 in Honolulu, Hawaii. The team is led by two first team All-Conference USA selections...

Continue Reading

Luis Barrio