Sports Editor

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor

Edwin is a senior  multimedia journalism major who came  to The Prospector in May of 2012 as a correspondent. He became the sports editor starting the summer 2012 semester. Edwin is excited for the challenges that lie ahead as the paper transitions into a daily publication.

He fell in love with sports at a very young age, especially with soccer, and learned to embrace others as he grew up. The 2013-14 year will be a good opportunity for him to watch the new era of UTEP football and how a solid new basketball class performs first hand.

Edwin is trying to get as much as possible from the last stretch of his college life before getting into the real world when he graduates in May of 2014.

All content by Edwin Delgado
Charles Brown, courtesy of UTEP Athletics

Legendary Miner Charlie Brown passes away

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor May 12, 2014

Charles Brown, one of the greatest players in UTEP basketball history as well as the first black athlete in the history of the program, passed away on May 11 in Antioch, California, following a long illness.  He was 83 years old. Brown played at Texas...

Continue Reading
A water pipeline burst this afternoon, May 12, between Liberal Arts and the Administration Building.

[Photo] Water pipeline bursts, creates big fountain

Edwin Delgado and Aaron Montes May 12, 2014

Construction workers wait for water to be turned off.

Continue Reading
The end of a great chapter in my life

The end of a great chapter in my life

Edwin Delgado, Staff Reporter May 6, 2014

Three years ago in May 2011, I paid the price of not dedicating enough time to school. After a terrible first year at UTEP, I was suspended for a semester and had to spend the next eight months dedicated to work full-time at a fast food restaurant. It...

Continue Reading
Coach Keitha Adams talks about her successful coaching carer.

Keitha Adams ends impressive year with Hall of Fame induction

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor May 6, 2014

Without a doubt the 2013-14 season for the women’s basketball season was a memorable one. The Don Haskins Center and the fans got to witness records all year long. For head coach Keitha Adams it was a fun year, one of her best experiences and she...

Continue Reading
Local athletes boost UTEP athletic programs

The 2013-14 academic year was a great one for the local athletes to give a boost to all UTEP athletic programs. This season in particular was arguably one of the best when it comes to success from athletes from the borderland. The team that...

Continue Reading
Infielder Cody Decker runs toward home plate.

Chihuahuas roll past Rivercats to win first at home

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor May 2, 2014

After four straight loses at their brand new ball park the El Paso Chihuahuas obtained their first victory of the season at the Southwest University Park in front of a season-high crowd of 9,395 fans after rolling  past the Sacramento Rivercats 12-3. Third...

Continue Reading

Keitha Adams headlines El Paso Hall of Fame 2014 class

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor April 30, 2014

The El Paso Athletic Hall of Fame welcomed eight new members today, the new inductees were introduced at Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino in Sunland Park, New Mexico. UTEP women’s head coach Keitha Adams, Miner Fan Club president Larry Rodriguez...

Continue Reading
Thornton invited to Washington Mystics training camp

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor April 15, 2014

UTEP women’s basketball senior forward Kayla Thornton has been invited to the WNBA’s Washington Mystics training camp. Thornton will be looking to follow in the footsteps of former Miner and El Paso native Natasha Lacy, who has spent four season in...

Continue Reading
Sophomore forward Angela Cutaia eludes a New Mexico Highlands defender at University Field on April 13.

A strong finish to spring season

The UTEP soccer team concluded their spring season in a dominant fashion with four wins and a draw in five games. UTEP began with a 1-0 victory over Arizona State on March 29, and one week later they topped the Arizona Wildcats, 3-1, and had a draw...

Continue Reading
Sophomore hurdler/jumper Bria Love practices the 60-meter dash with hurdles at Kidd Field.

Track and field team ready for Texas Tech Open

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor April 3, 2014

The UTEP track and field will take 35 athletes to compete at the Texas Tech Open on Saturday in Lubbock, Texas. After a good showing in the Texas Relays last week, the top athletes from the team will get a break and will not travel to Lubbock. “The...

Continue Reading
Miners game sold out!

Miners game sold out!

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor April 2, 2014

As of 10:10 a.m., the UTEP women’s basketball team’s WNIT Final Four game against South Dakota State in the Don Haskins Center is sold out. It is the first sellout of a UTEP women's basketball game and the first sellout of a Miner basketball game...

Continue Reading
Freshman midfielder/forward Nicole Lindsay is one of the players receiving more playing time after the departure of five seniors.

Spring season begins with victory over Arizona State

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor April 1, 2014

The UTEP women’s soccer team returned to action as they opened their spring season at University Field on March 29 and faced the Arizona State Sun Devils. This game was the first of six exhibition games the Miners will play this spring as they gear...

Continue Reading
Southern Miss eases past Old Dominion

Southern Miss eases past Old Dominion

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor March 13, 2014

Brittany Dinkins scored 19 points and led the Southern Miss women's basketball team to a 83-64 victory over the Old Dominion Monarchs to advance to the tournament semifinals. The Golden Eagles had four players in double digits, Dinkins, Freshman forward...

Continue Reading
Kayla Thornton returns to guide UTEP over Louisiana Tech

Senior forward Kayla Thornton returned from injury to lead the Miners to a 81-72 victory over Louisiana Tech at Memorial Gym. Thornton had a double-double as she scored 25 points and collected 12 rebounds, she is now only three points shy of the all-time...

Continue Reading
Golden Hurricane blow past Green Wave 70-49

Sophomore guard James Woodard accounted for 24 points as the Golden Hurricane defeated the Tulane Green Wave 70-49 in the quarterfinals of the Conference USA tournament. Tulsa dominated Tulane in almost every statistical comparison as they outrebounded...

Continue Reading
Louisiana Tech wins second straight, sets match-up against UTEP

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor March 12, 2014

Louisiana Tech women's basketball team dominated the second half to defeat the Charlotte 49ers 64-55 in the second round of the Conference USA Championships. The Lady Techsters will face UTEP in the quarterfinals Mar. 13 at Memorial Gym. Charlotte...

Continue Reading
North Texas comes back to defeat Rice in overtime

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor March 11, 2014

The North Texas Mean Green Eagles came back from a 13-point deficit to take down the Rice Owls 63-62 in the first round of the Conference USA Men's basketball championship. Trailing by nine at the half, North Texas came back and outscored Rice 20-9...

Continue Reading
2014 Conference USA Men’s Basketball Championship Schedule

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor March 7, 2014

2014 Conference USA Men’s Basketball Championship Round 1 — Tuesday, March 11 Game 1 - #10 North Texas vs. #15 Rice, 3:30 P.M. Game 2 - #11 Florida Atlantic vs. #14 Marshall, 6 P.M. Game 3 - #12 East Carolina vs. #13 Texas San Antonio, 8:30...

Continue Reading
2014 Conference USA Women’s Basketball Championship Schedule

2014 Conference USA Women’s Basketball Championship  Round 1 — Tuesday, March 11 (Seeds 10-15) <Memorial Gym> Game 1 - #16 Marshall vs. #9 Florida Atlantic, 11 A.M. Game 2 - #13 Florida International vs. #12 Rice, 1:30 P.M. Game 3...

Continue Reading
Miners began Spring practice on March 3.

[Photo] Miners begin spring season workout

Javier Cortez, Staff Reporter March 4, 2014

Continue Reading
Conference Champions!

Conference Champions!

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor March 4, 2014

The UTEP men’s track and field conquered the Conference USA indoor track and field championships on March 1 in Birmingham, Ala., led by distance runner junior Anthony Rotich and senior jumper/sprinter Mark Jackson, “It’s big, this is probably...

Continue Reading
Seeking top four finish in regular season

The UTEP men’s basketball team has  one game left in the regular season against the Texas San Antonio Roadrunners, whom they will face on March 6. As of now, the Miners (21-9, 11-4 Conference USA) stand in fifth place in the conference and are just...

Continue Reading
Home court advantage has UTEP aiming for NCAA tournament bid

After a season plagued by injuries in 2013, the UTEP women’s basketball team is hoping to close 2014 on a much better note. The regular season title is out of reach for the Miners, as Middle Tennessee State has secured the No. 1 spot in the conference...

Continue Reading
UTEP to rematch UTSA on senior night

UTEP to rematch UTSA on senior night

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor February 25, 2014

The UTEP women’s basketball team will have its final regular season home game on Feb. 26 when it faces the Texas San Antonio Roadrunners for the second time in the season. The game will be the last regular season home game that seniors Kayla Thornton,...

Continue Reading
Freshman pitcher Taylor Grohmann strikes out a career high six batters against Incarnate Word on Feb. 23.

Challenging week ahead for Miners

The UTEP softball team will have a challenging week, as they will take on nationally ranked Arizona and Washington, in addition to Pacific, San Jose State and Cal State Bakersfield. After a rough 1-9 start to their season, UTEP claimed five-straight...

Continue Reading

UTEP rifle takes down No. 17 Nevada

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor February 21, 2014

The No. 20 UTEP rifle team defeated 17th-ranked Nevada, 4528-4526, to kick off its six-day stay for NCAA Qualifying in Fairbanks, Alaska on Feb. 20. Freshman Rachael Schoenrock led the way for the Miners with an aggregate of 1144 (567-577). That...

Continue Reading
Kino Sports Complex in Tucson will host the Chihuahuas’ first four home games.

Students react to baseball stadium opening delay

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor February 11, 2014

MountainStar Sports Group recently announced their decision to postpone the opening day of the new downtown ballpark from April 11 to April 28, a decision that was not very well received among El Pasoans and students at UTEP. “I was really excited...

Continue Reading
UTEP soccer announces 2014 recruiting class

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor February 5, 2014

UTEP head soccer coach Kevin Cross announced the signing of seven players to national letters of intent on Wednesday. “UTEP Soccer is very excited to add seven talented new players to our UTEP Soccer family,” head coach Kevin Cross said. “I would...

Continue Reading
Early Cleveland High School graduate Sterling Napier is already enrolled at UTEP and working with the team. Sterling was recruited as a tight end.

UTEP football signs 23 for 2014 season.

Today head football coach Sean Kugler announced the 2014 recruiting class at the Larry K. Durham Center. UTEP signed a total of 23 players for the 2014 season. The recruiting class consists of 20 high school players and three junior college transfers....

Continue Reading
Sports Editor

No love for women’s sports in El Paso

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor February 4, 2014

The UTEP women’s basketball team under Keitha Adams has formed a winning tradition over the years and this year has not been the exception. The Miners currently have a 17-4 record and a 68-18 record during the past three seasons, making them thus...

Continue Reading
UTEP  will host Texas Tech on Sep. 6 and take on Kansas State on the road on Sep. 27

Kansas State, Texas Tech highlight 2014 UTEP football schedule

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor February 3, 2014

UTEP’s 2014 football schedule was released today. The Miners’ home schedule is highlighted by non-conference matchups with Big 12 rival Texas Tech and I-10 rival New Mexico State as they celebrate their centennial season. The Miners will open...

Continue Reading
High hopes. Pun intended

High hopes. Pun intended

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor January 28, 2014

The Broncos and the Seahawks had the best record in their conference and are deservingly facing each other in the Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2. Both teams are very different from each other and that’s what makes this game so attractive. They both...

Continue Reading
Sophomore guard Jenzel Nash is the second leading scorer for the Miners averaging 12.1 points per game..

Miners aiming for third straight win

The UTEP women’s basketball team (15-4) will take on the Marshall Thundering Herd (7-11) on Jan. 29 as they try to make it three wins in a row. After a disappointing loss at home against Charlotte, the Miners seem to have found their footing once...

Continue Reading
Myriam Sopel appointed as new tennis head coach

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor January 15, 2014

Athletic Director Bob Stull named Myriam Sopel as UTEP’s women’s tennis head coach on Wednesday.  Sopel succeeds Mark Roberts, who held the position from June 2012 to December 2013. "We welcome Myriam (Sopel) to the UTEP family," Stull said.  "She...

Continue Reading
Running back Aaron Jones and his brother Alvin will be added to the basketball team.

Jones brothers added to basketball roster

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor January 8, 2014

After the dismissal of three players, the UTEP men’s basketball team has added twin brothers Aaron and Alvin Jones to the roster. Aaron a running back for the football team, is healthy after suffering a broken rib in the game against North Texas,...

Continue Reading
McKenzie Moore was the UTEP leading scorer this season and was kicked off the team following FBI Investigation.

Three dismissed from basketball team following FBI investigation

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor January 7, 2014

McKenzie Moore, Jalen Ragland and Justin Crosgile have been dismissed from the UTEP men's basketball program and are no longer enrolled at the university, following an FBI investigation that found evidence of all three players taking part in gambling...

Continue Reading
#2 Sophomore distance runner Anthony Rotich led the Miners to a conference championship and on June 8, Rotich earned the 3,000-meter steeplechase national title.

The most important moments of 2013

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor December 3, 2013

#11 Football – UTEP against New Mexico and New Mexico State Sept. 7 marked the first game of the Miners under new head coach Sean Kugler. The game turned into an exciting shootout to the delight of the 45,000-plus crowd at the Sun Bowl, but the...

Continue Reading
Kristene Vitola suffered an ACL injury last year and came back to play one more season.

Vitola coming back for more

Senior center Kristine Vitola decided to return for another season with UTEP after suffering a season-ending ACL injury last season against Arizona State. Vitola graduated in May with a business management degree and could have simply just moved on...

Continue Reading
Keitha Adams signs two more for 2014-15 season

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor November 26, 2013

A high school senior (Marta Miscenko) and a junior-college member (Rudiane Eduardo) have signed national letters of intent to attend school and compete with the UTEP women’s basketball team for the 2014-15 season, head coach Keitha Adams revealed Monday....

Continue Reading
Junior point guard Stacie Telles is the second leading scorer for UTEP. She started her first game for UTEP against Northern Arizona on Nov. 22.

Women’s basketball find new local talent in Telles

The women’s basketball team has found in junior point guard Stacie Telles a new local gem to help them carry the load on offense. Telles, who is a Burges High School graduate, transferred to UTEP from New Mexico Junior College for this...

Continue Reading
Junior running back Nathan Jeffery bursts a 54-yard touchdown run on Nov. 16 to lead the Miners to a 33-10 victory against FIU at the Sun Bowl.

UTEP seeking third win against the Green Wave

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor November 19, 2013

The UTEP Miners are focused on keeping the momentum alive against their next opponent, the Tulane Green Wave. After claiming a win in their final home game of the 2013 season, the Miners will face the Green Wave on Nov. 23 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome...

Continue Reading
Washburn refuses to get back on the floor during the second half

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor November 17, 2013

The UTEP men’s basketball victory over West Alabama on Sunday afternoon was overshadowed by junior forward/guard Julian Washburn’s unwillingness to go back into the game during the second half. Mid-way through the second half after taking Washburn...

Continue Reading
Second half rally lifts New Mexico State to cruise past UTEP

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor November 15, 2013

Junior guard Daniel Mullings led New Mexico State with 26 points as the Aggies stormed past UTEP in the second half to defeat their rivals, 86-73, Friday at the Pan American Center in Las Cruces N.M. “To have as good as a game as we had tonight...

Continue Reading
UTEP womens basketball signs two to national letters of intent

UTEP women’s basketball signs two to national letters of intent

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor November 14, 2013

Two high school seniors have signed national letters of intent to attend school and compete with the UTEP women’s basketball team for the 2014-15 season, head coach Keitha Adams revealed Thursday. A brief profile, along with a quote from Adams and...

Continue Reading
UTEP finished third in C-USA  and will face East Carolina in quarterfinals. They could have a rematch against Colorado College in semifinals.

Aiming for a conference title

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor November 5, 2013

After falling 2-1 to North Texas on the road, the UTEP women’s soccer team looks to turn the page as they prepare for the 2013 Conference USA Women’s Soccer Championship on Nov. 4-10 in Houston, Texas. The Miners will make their first appearance...

Continue Reading
#6 With a goal from Angela Cutaia, UTEP upsets Colorado College 2-1 on Oct. 27

Soccer secures a spot in C-USA tournament

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor October 29, 2013

The UTEP soccer team ended their home schedule with style and earned a spot in the Conference USA Tournament by defeating the Texas San Antonio Roadrunners on Oct. 25 and the Colorado College Tigers (ranked 27th in the polls) on Oct. 27 respectively. “These...

Continue Reading
Miners play last two home games of the season

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor October 24, 2013

The UTEP women’s soccer team will play their last two home games of the season this weekend at University Field as they host in-state rivals the Texas San Antonio Roadrunners Oct. 25 and Conference USA leaders, the Colorado College Tigers, Oct. 27 UTEP...

Continue Reading
Triple-A team name and logo announced

Triple-A team name and logo announced

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor October 22, 2013

MountainStar Sports Group unveiled today at the Plaza Theater the name for the Triple-A baseball team in El Paso, which will be called the El Paso Chihuahuas. Chihuahuas beat out other finalists such as the Aardvarks, Buckaroos, Desert Gators and Sun...

Continue Reading
#7 Jameill Showers committed to UTEP on Feb. 26.

Miners go on the road to face Rice

After having a week off, the Miners are now focused on their next rival the Rice Owls, who are leading the west division of the conference alongside Tulane. Rice will host UTEP Oct. 26 in Houston. “It was a very productive week for us. We got a lot...

Continue Reading
Cross country gears up for biggest test

Cross country gears up for biggest test

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor October 15, 2013

The UTEP cross country team is preparing for their toughest challenge of the current season, when they go into action Oct. 19 at the 2013 NCAA pre-nationals in Terre Haute, Ind. The Miners competed in the Notre Dame Invitational on Oct. 4, where...

Continue Reading
Sarah Dilling late saves help Miners hold a 2-2 draw against Charlotte

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor October 12, 2013

With two back-to-back goals from defender Dakota Olson, the Charlotte 49ers rallied back from a two-goal deficit to tie 2-2 with the Miners. Sarah Dilling, UTEP’s junior goalkeeper, had two crucial saves in overtime which saved the Miners from defeat. “UTEP...

Continue Reading
UTEP soccer splits first two conference games

Edwin Delgado, Sports editor October 1, 2013

The UTEP soccer team split its first two games of conference play after falling 2-1 to Rice and defeating Southern Miss 1-0 in overtime. “I was really proud of our team being able to bounce back and get a win,” said head coach Kevin Cross. The...

Continue Reading
UTEP Soccer falls 2-1 to Rice in Conference-USA opener

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor September 28, 2013

With two goals in a space of one minute, the Rice Owls mounted a comeback to defeat the Miners. “It was a good win, UTEP is one of the toughest teams to play on the road. I’m very proud of my team, they put up a good fight,” said Rice head coach...

Continue Reading
Senior midfielder Tori Martyn dribbles and attempt to elude two Utah State defenders on Aug. 30 at University Field

[Video] UTEP soccer opens conference slate at home

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor September 27, 2013

The UTEP soccer team which is currently on a four-game winning streak will try to add to their streak in conference play. The Miners are set to start their 2013 campaign when they host the Rice Owls tonight at University Field . For the first time...

Continue Reading

UTEP rolls past New Mexico State 42-21

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor September 15, 2013

The UTEP offense produced 546 yards of offense to run past rivals, New Mexico State, 42-21 and give head coach Sean Kugler his first victory of his career. “I'm really pleased with the defense, they held onto New Mexico State really well,...

Continue Reading
New Mexico State will try to break UTEP four-win strak when they host them at Aggie Memorial Stadium in Las Cruces, Sep. 14.

Miners seek fifth-straight win over Aggies

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor September 10, 2013

The UTEP Miners and the New Mexico State Aggies are set for the 91st edition of the Battle of I-10. UTEP currently holds a four-game winning streak over the Aggies. The last time both sides met in Las Cruces was in a close 16-10 win for the Miners...

Continue Reading
Forward Jade Babcock beats the Highlanders goalie to secure the win for the Miners

Jade Badcock’s brace guides UTEP to 2-0 over UC Riverside

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor September 6, 2013

With a pair of goals from senior Jade Babcock, the UTEP women’s soccer team defeated the UC Riverside Highlanders 2-0 on Friday night. “UTEP is a good team they figured us out after the first 15 minutes,” said Highlanders head coach Nat Gonzalez....

Continue Reading

UTEP women’s basketball 2013-14 schedule announced

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor September 5, 2013

The UTEP women’s basketball team will play host to Big-12 power Kansas State, square off against ACC member Georgia Tech as part of the Puerto Rico Classic, face SEC standout Texas A&M on the road and navigate through a revamped Conference USA,...

Continue Reading

[Video] UTEP soccer to host 14th-annual Border Shootout this weekend

After a week of setbacks, the UTEP soccer team is ready to turn things around this weekend as they host the 14th-annual Border Shootout. They’ll face UC Riverside on Friday and Stephen F. Austin on Sunday. The Miners are coming from a 1-0 loss to...

Continue Reading
Sports Editor

Kugler will improve team, but not immediately

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor September 3, 2013

Throughout the offseason I heard many UTEP fans saying that with the new coaching staff, UTEP will become a strong contender in Conference USA. Although it is a possibility, I think most fans are getting ahead of themselves. The team is coming off...

Continue Reading
Miners kickoff 2013 season as Kugler takes charge

The Miners are set to start their 2013 campaign on Sept. 7 against old rivals, the New Mexico Lobos, at the Sun Bowl. It will also be the kickoff for the beginning of the Sean Kugler era as head coach. “I’m looking forward to the game,” Kugler...

Continue Reading

Wildcats hold Miners to a 1-1 draw

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor September 1, 2013

With goals early in each half, the UTEP Miners and the Abilene Christian Wildcats tied at 1-1 on Sunday at University Field. “I think we rose to the occasion today, there are some things that we need to improve on,” said Casey Wilson, Abilene Christian...

Continue Reading

UTEP soccer falls to Utah State

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor August 30, 2013

With an early goal from Kylie Dibbs in the 47th minute, the Utah State Aggies held onto a 1-0 victory over UTEP who suffered its first setback of the season. “Anytime you are on the road you are going to be in uncomfortable situations,” said Utah...

Continue Reading

UTEP Softball Inks Four

UTEP softball head coach Tobin Echo-Hawk announced the addition of four freshmen for the 2014 season. The new Miners who will don the Orange and Blue are Kaitlin Fifield, Erika Harrawood, Summer Palipti and Brianna Tourtillott. “We have a great...

Continue Reading

UTEP Soccer Continues Homestand This Weekend

UTEP soccer team seeks to build on their start to the season with another  pair of home matches this weekend. The Miners (2-0-0) will challenge back-to-back NCAA Tournament participant Utah State (2-0-0) at 7 p.m. Friday before locking up with new...

Continue Reading
#8 Head coach Tim Floyd was linked to the USC job on March 5.

Men’s Basketball Schedule Unveiled

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor August 28, 2013

The UTEP men’s basketball 2013-14 schedule was released today. The Miners non-conference schedule is highlighted by games against Colorado State, Washington State and the 2013 Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, which will be held at Paradise Island in the...

Continue Reading

[Video] An Offseason Full of Changes for the Miners

Javier Cortez, Staff Reporter August 27, 2013

Changes and adjustments have been the theme of the UTEP football team throughout the offseason. After coming off a 3-9 season, the Miners hope to put the past behind and usher in a new beginning. Head coach Sean Kugler might not have won a game yet,...

Continue Reading

[Video] Athletics, Residence Life Host 4th-Annual Welcome Back BBQ

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor August 26, 2013

On the day before the fall semester began, Residence Life and UTEP Athletics hosted the fourth-annual Welcome Back BBQ. The purpose of the event was to bring all student-athletes together to interact with one another. “It’s great to get...

Continue Reading
UTEP Soccer Begins Season with Pair of Victories

The Miners opened their 2013 campaign with a two-game home stand, on Aug. 23 against the Great West champions, Utah Valley. The Miners left it late on their first game as substitute, sophomore forward Angela Cutaia was able to give UTEP the lead...

Continue Reading
Key Positions in Depth Chart being Determined

Some position battles have began to be settled, as the real preparation begins with just over a week before the Miners kick-off their 2013 campaign. On Aug. 21, head coach Sean Kugler stated that Jameill Showers was going to be the starting quarterback...

Continue Reading

Miners offense shines in first scrimmage of Kugler era

Edwin Delgado, Sports Editor August 21, 2013

Led by junior quarterback Jameill Showers, the Miners had a strong showing in their pre-season scrimmage in Alpine, Texas,as they managed to score on their very first drive. “It was nice to see that the team was able to execute the...

Continue Reading

Edwin Delgado