Amanda Guillen

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief

Amanda Guillen is a senior multimedia journalism major with a minor in women's studies. She was born and raised in El Paso, Texas and graduated from El Paso High School in 2011.

She has been a part of The Prospector since summer 2013 and is currently Managing Editor.

She has always had a passion for journalism and plans to become a television news reporter upon graduating from UTEP. In addition to being a full-time student and reporter, she is a part of two honor societies on campus, Alpha Lambda Delta and the National Society of Leadership and Success where she participates in community service regularly. Amanda also interns for KVIA Channel 7 the El Paso affiliate of ABC.

Her love for the city of El Paso is something that led her to choose UTEP as her school of choice. She has enjoyed her past 3 years at the university and looks forward to an eventful school year.

All content by Amanda Guillen
Four years and a lifetime of memories made

Amanda Guillen, Contributor November 29, 2016

There are moments in our lives that can change the course of your life forever. The beauty of life is that you never know when these moments will occur. I can say without a doubt in my mind that when I decided to work at The Prospector, little did...

Continue Reading
Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders speaks at a rally on May 21 at Vado Elementary School in Vado, New Mexico.

Sanders visits Vado before New Mexico primary

Amanda Guillen, Editor-In-Chief May 21, 2016

As two protestors mocked and insulted the long line of Bernie Sanders supporters, Bertrand Perdomo urged the media and others to focus on the reason they were at Vado Elementary in Vado, NM. “Don’t feed the negativity,” Perdomo...

Continue Reading

Rainbow Miner Graduation Hosts 51 Graduates

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief May 14, 2016

This year's Rainbow Miner Graduation hosted 51 seniors for their annual event. This year it was held at the UTEP Alumni Lodge on May 13 from 6-8 p.m.

Continue Reading
Senior dance majors Julian Maldonado and Gabriella Moreno will be graduating together after spending most of their college careers together.

Couple finds love through mutual passion for dance

Amanda Guillen, Editor-In-Chief May 3, 2016

As they walk from class and toward Centennial Plaza, Gabriella Moreno and Julian Maldonado gracefully stroll through campus hand in hand, at times looking into each others’ eyes and smiling. Even if you didn’t know they were dancers, you would be...

Continue Reading
Newly elected Student Government Association president, sophomore operation chain supply management major Sergio Baltazar looks over the Centennial Plaza.

Getting to know the new SGA president

The Student Government Association will have a new president in June. Sophomore operations chain supply management major Sergio Baltazar was elected on April 22 and ran independently. Despite being discouraged to run as an independent, Baltazar felt...

Continue Reading
The Student Recovery Organization hosts Pay It Forward event tonight

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief April 26, 2016

Pay it forward and being the change are just some of the phrases that are the topics of tonight’s event hosted by the Student Recovery Organization at UTEP. From 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. at the Union Cinema, the SRO will host a reception, sponsored...

Continue Reading

[Video] Natalicio named among TIME Magazine’s 100 most influential

Jose Soto and Amanda Guillen April 21, 2016

TIME Magazine named UTEP President Diana Natalicio as one of their 2016 100 Most Influential People In The World on April 21 under the leaders category, among such notables as President Barack Obama, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President...

Continue Reading

The irony of printing a newspaper during Earth Week

Amanda Guillen, Editor-In-Chief April 19, 2016

Every year we celebrate Earth Day and this year it will be celebrated on April 22. The Prospector dedicates an issue to Earth Day and every year someone on staff asks about why we have an issue dedicated to this day if we print thousands of issues on...

Continue Reading
Peace Corps Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet addresses the crowd at the Tomas Rivera Conference Center on  April 13.

Peace Corps director visits UTEP to announce ranking

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief April 13, 2016

In 1961 Texas Western College (now UTEP) and Rutgers University were the first universities with students who volunteered for the Peace Corps. Now 55 years later, the director of the Peace Corps made her first visit to El Paso and addressed a full crowd...

Continue Reading
ASARCO Site Custodial Trustee Roberto Puga and UTEP President Diana Natalicio.

UTEP and ASARCO Collaborate for Exhibit

Amanda Guillen, Editor-In-Chief April 12, 2016

The long-standing collaboration between ASARCO and UTEP didn’t end when the smokestacks were brought down on April 13, 2013. The partnership continues and one of the more visual ways is through the exhibit, “ASARCO in El Paso: A Visual History of...

Continue Reading
Students participate in Laughter Yoga, one of the workshops available at the Womens Conference on Wednesday and Thursday.

[Photo] Close to 500 attend 6th annual Women’s History Month Conference

Rene Delgadillo and Gloria Heredia April 8, 2016

Students participate in Laughter Yoga, one of the workshops available at the Women's Conference on Wednesday and Thursday.

Continue Reading
Respect us and mind your business

Respect us and mind your business

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief March 29, 2016

There are many reasons why people don’t go to the gym: a busy schedule, work, kids, laziness, but some reasons are uncontrollable, at least on one side. For a woman, often times, our insecurities come from others’ lack of intelligence and manners. A...

Continue Reading
Rocketbuster Handmade Custom Boots is located in a warehouse in the Union District of downtown El Paso, at 115 Anthony St.

Country western style a phase or lifestyle?

Amanda Guillen, Editor-In-Chief March 15, 2016

In the ‘80s you had the release of “Urban Cowboy,” a movie staring John Travolta that quickly revamped the country music and fashion scene in the United States. Around that time, you also had artists like George Strait, Garth Brooks and Reba McEntire,...

Continue Reading
Freshman philosophy major Jorge Martinez poses as a student struggling from tuition increase.

UTEP’s tuition increase proposal approved

Amanda Guillen, Editor-In-Chief March 1, 2016

Cost of tuition and fees will be increasing effective immediately and over the next two years. The University of Texas System Board of Regents approved the increase on Monday, all of the UT Systems academic institutions including UTEP will experience...

Continue Reading
Natalicio released from hospital

Natalicio released from hospital

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief February 26, 2016

Yesterday UTEP President Diana Natalicio returned home from The Hospitals of Providence Memorial Campus. Natalicio collapsed on Thursday, Feb. 18, at approximately 1:30 p.m., as she was on her way to vote at the student Union Building East. “I am...

Continue Reading
Natalicio in stable condition, officials say

Amanda Guillen February 23, 2016

As of Monday, UTEP officials have not released the details of UTEP President Diana Natalicio’s health, although they said she is in stable condition. UTEP Executive Vice President Richard Adauto released a statement Monday saying, “Dr. Natalicio...

Continue Reading
Tony Melendez is interviewed before his performance at the Sun Bowl during “Two Nations, One Faith.”

Q&A with musician Tony Melendez

Amanda Guillen, Editor-In-Chief February 23, 2016

Born with the gift of musical talent, guitarist, signer, composer and songwriter Tony Melendez has made an impact in the music world. Melendez is unlike most guitarists—he plays with his feet. He was born without arms and has made sure that his...

Continue Reading
Two women show emotion at The Sun Bowl Stadium to watch Pope Francis deliver mass in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

Sun Bowl joins Juarez in welcoming Pope Francis

Amanda Guillen, Editor in Chief February 17, 2016

More than 30,000 people gathered at the Sun Bowl Stadium at the University of Texas at El Paso on Wednesday afternoon, Feb. 17, to take part in the Two Nations One Faith papal visit to Ciudad Juarez celebration. The event began at noon with guests...

Continue Reading
Maceo Crenshaw Dailey, Jr. Ph.D., the late director of the African American Studies Program.

Black History Month events highlight Dailey’s contributions to UTEP

Amanda Guillen, Editor-In-Chief February 16, 2016

The university’s African American Studies Program has put together a multitude of events throughout Black History Month, with the last event being held on March 1. The program has put together the events without a familiar face, Maceo Crenshaw Dailey,...

Continue Reading
6.3 percent of all marriages in 2013 were interracial.

Interracial marriage not a big deal to millennials

Amanda Guillen, Editor-In-Chief February 9, 2016

Interests such as music, movies and hobbies, social traits and physical appearance are all factors to consider when finding a partner. But for some, these factors are small compared to the importance of race in a relationship. As time progresses, views...

Continue Reading
Barbie got back

Barbie got back

Amanda Guillen, Editor-In-Chief February 2, 2016

A closet full of Barbie dolls in their sealed boxes, hair intact, shoes still strapped on and all of her accessories still included—I never played with my dolls because of the fear of ruining their perfect image. I would go over to my cousins’ houses...

Continue Reading
Non-Catholic’s voice their opinion on Pope’s visit

The Pope’s upcoming visit to Ciudad Juárez, Mexico, has brought excitement and anticipation to El Paso. But some students reacted negatively. Members of the University Atheists and Secular Humanists organization, previously known as The Atheists,...

Continue Reading
The 1966 NCAA Championship Texas Western team poses with trophy March 19, 1966.

The pride and joy of a basketball city

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief January 26, 2016

El Paso has been called a basketball city time and time again. UTEP’s basketball programs are touted as the gems of the athletic programs at the university. It all began with the Texas Western men’s 1966 NCAA basketball championship 50 years ago....

Continue Reading
Blanca Enriquez is the Head Start director

From the barrio to the nation’s capital

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief January 19, 2016

WASHINGTON- Sitting at a desk at the national Head Start offices in Washington, D.C., Blanca Enriquez is 1,962 miles away from her home in El Paso, Texas. Away from her three children and seven grandchildren, her journey as the Office of Head Start director...

Continue Reading
State of the Union and free community college

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief January 13, 2016

Over the last seven years of President Barack Obama's presidency the State of the Union addresses have been nothing short of poetic. The 2012 presidential election was the first election that I was able to participate in and the Obama administration...

Continue Reading
President Obama signs the Every Student Succeeds bill into law Thursday. Sen Patty Murray, D-Wash., and Sofia Rios, a eight-grade student at Kenmore Middle School in Arlington, Va., watch.

Obama: End to No Child Left Behind education law a Christmas miracle

Amanda Guillen, SHFW Reporter December 14, 2015

WASHINGTON – An early Christmas miracle took place Thursday, according to President Barack Obama. The miracle, the signing of a bipartisan education bill, Every Student Succeeds, which rewrites the controversial No Child Left Behind law enacted in...

Continue Reading
Michelle Obama welcomes performing arts students to the White House State Dining Room on Monday as a part of “Broadway at the White House.

Broadway stars, star students take the White House stage

Amanda Guillen, Scripps Howard Foundation Wire Reporter November 18, 2015

[iframe id="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X6jDyazq7j4" align="left" mode="normal" autoplay="yes"] WASHINGTON – As his fingers tickled the white and black keys of the piano in the White House State Dining Room on Monday, Andrew Lloyd Webber entertained...

Continue Reading
Father Alexei Michalenko presides over a Dignity Washington Mass at an Episcopal church in Washington, despite the Catholic church’s disapproval of Catholic priest presiding over a Mass for Dignity. Former priest Joe Hennessy also says Mass for Dignity groups.

LGBT Catholics seek acceptance, worship outside church

Amanda Guillen, SHFWire Intern November 10, 2015

WASHINGTON – With his fingers interlocked and his polished black dress shoe tapping on the carpet, 65-year-old retired priest Joe Hennessy took a deep breath and began to talk about his life as a member of the Catholic Church. His experience is unlike...

Continue Reading

Texas group wants jobs for soldiers after military careers

Amanda Guillen, SHFWire October 27, 2015

WASHINGTON – Military families were on the minds of 12 El Pasoans last week as they attended the 2015 Association of the United States Army Annual Meeting and Exposition. Members of the Greater El Paso Chamber of Commerce arrived in Washington from...

Continue Reading
President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 on Oct. 3, 1965. This act abolished the national quota system and changed the demographic makeup of the United States.

The U.S. and immigration: Where are we now?

Amanda Guillen, SHFWire Intern October 20, 2015

WASHINGTON – The United States has long thought of itself as a melting pot, mixing cultures and customs from countries around the world. But it has often resisted adding more ingredients to the stew. The history of immigration laws dates to the first...

Continue Reading
amanda guillen/ SHFWIRE
Crystal Zapata, 19, takes a selfie Tuesday with her mother, Lourdes Zapata, 39, in front of the White House

El Pasoans travel to see Pope Francis in support of families

Amanda Guillen, SHFWire Intern October 6, 2015

WASHINGTON – As they stood in front of the White House snapping pictures, about 50 members of the Neocatechumenal Way in El Paso, Texas, were still reeling from their experiences following Pope Francis’ tour of the United States. For these El Pasoans,...

Continue Reading
Advocates sing, “Don’t worry about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be all right,” from Bob Marley’s song “Three Little Birds.” They marched to the Capitol on Tuesday to advocate for better benefits for low-wage workers. Photo courtesy of SHFWire.

Low-wage workers ‘strike’ as Pope heads to D.C.

Amanda Guillen, SHFWire Reporter September 23, 2015

WASHINGTON – Advocates welcomed Pope Francis to what they call the land of inequality as part of a march to the east front steps of the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday morning. The pope will speak there on Thursday. The advocacy group Good Jobs Nation focuses...

Continue Reading
Sister Donna Markham, president of Catholic Charities USA, says Pope Francis’ trip to the United States highlight the issue of poverty in the U.S.

Pope’s visit to nonprofit to shine light on poverty in U.S.

Amanda Guillen, SHFWire Intern September 22, 2015

WASHINGTON – Poverty in the United States has remained at a consistent high in the past five years. As Pope Francis visits here this week, he will meet some of the city’s poorest residents. Census data released this month estimates the poverty rate...

Continue Reading
Trumping the competition through media exposure

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief August 1, 2015

It is no surprise that controversy brings inflated attention and with it a string of opinion. People in agreement or in opposition of the topic lend to the mounting tension that the controversy brings. With the 2016 presidential election coming...

Continue Reading
The Prospector’s Centennial year

The Prospector’s Centennial year

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief July 21, 2015

A century of news filled with information, drama, controversy and triumph–The Prospector has been the assayer of student opinion for The University of Texas at El Paso and is still a university staple 100 years after it began. Since its first issue...

Continue Reading
Ask me how old I am

Ask me how old I am

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief July 7, 2015

As you go through life, you often times look toward the future and ponder on what could be. You reflect on the past and look at your life now in present day and see if you have grown from your successes and learned from your mistakes. I sit here writing...

Continue Reading

[Video] First Same-Sex Couples to Marry in El Paso

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief June 27, 2015

At approximately 12:20 p.m. on June 26, Yairo Herrera and Luke Oleander became the first same-sex couple to be married in El Paso at the County Courthouse. Less than 20 minutes later, a few floors up, the second couple, Aixa Adame and Lacey Darcy,...

Continue Reading

[Video] Love wins in El Paso

Amanda Guillen, Editor-in-Chief June 26, 2015

For richer or for poorer, until death do they part, under the United States Constitution same-sex couples were married in El Paso, Texas.   At approximately 12:20 p.m. on June 26, Yairo Herrera and Luke Oleander became the first...

Continue Reading
388th District Court Judge Laura Strathmann prepares to marry a  second same-sex couple in El Paso, Texas

[Photo] Supreme Courts rules in favor of same-sex marriage

Jose Soto, Entertainment Editor June 26, 2015

388th District Court Judge Laura Strathmann prepares to marry a second same-sex couple in El Paso, Texas

Continue Reading
In Texas guns prevail

In Texas guns prevail

Amanda Guillen, Editor in Chief June 9, 2015

Face mask on, backpack strapped tight, clothes midnight black. As I sat inside the Prospector office working on my story for the day, I noticed a man frantically pacing up and down the first floor of the Union Building. As I looked at the man outside...

Continue Reading
New report ranks best and worst jobs of the year

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor May 5, 2015

For some students, deciding on which career path do go down can be a rough decision. Careercast.com has been ranking the best and worst jobs of the year for 27 years. The report ranks 200 jobs from best to worst based on three percentage components,...

Continue Reading
About four-in-10 U.S. household owners who are younger than 40 years old currently have some student debt, according to a Pew Research Center Report conducted in 2014.

Paying off loans troublesome for many, national student loan debt reaches $1.1 trillion

According to a Pew Research Center Report conducted in 2014, about four-in-10 U.S. household owners who are younger than 40 currently have some student debt. This is the highest share on record, some UTEP alums say that loan de bt is something that can...

Continue Reading

[Video] The Prospector News Weekly May 1

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor May 1, 2015

This week in news Student Government elections take place and UTEP's annual Midnight Breakfast embraces change.

Continue Reading
UTEP Dinner Theatre entertains audiences for 32 years

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor April 28, 2015

As the curtain rises, the UTEP Dinner Theatre prepares to finish up their production of “Mary Poppins” in their 32nd year. “Mary Poppins” is among the many acclaimed musicals the UDT has produced. As the only year-round full-time dinner theater...

Continue Reading
“Wicked” will take the Plaza stage for two weeks from May 20 through May 31.

Broadway brings the big apple to the Sun City

With this year’s lineup recently announced and one of Broadway’s biggest musical blockbusters on its way to the Sun City, Broadway in El Paso brings a bit of “42nd Street” to 125 Pioneer Plaza. Since 2003, Broadway in El Paso has been providing...

Continue Reading

[Video] The Prospector News Weekly April 24

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor April 24, 2015

Continue Reading
Bugging the Litter Bugs

Bugging the Litter Bugs

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor April 21, 2015

Growing up I was always known to be the uptight, prissy and spotless little girl. Now at 21-years-old, and not much has changed. This all seems to be irrelevant when talking about the Earth, but it actually has led to what I think has changed the course...

Continue Reading

Unveiling of Centennial Plaza

Michaela Roman and Amanda Guillen April 18, 2015

After several missed deadlines, the Centennial Plaza was officially unveiled to the public on Sat. April, 18. Dr. Diana Natalicio and the honorable Kunzang C. Namgyel, Bhutanese Ambassador to the United Nations spoke to hundreds of spectators about...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly April 17

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor April 17, 2015

This week in news construction is done and Centennial Plaza is ready to be unveiled, and Denim Day sparks up awareness of sexual assault on campus.

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly April 10

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor April 10, 2015

This week in news, UTEP Picks Talent will take place and give students the chance to win $1000. UTEP basketball players in the news, Vince Hunter to declare for the NBA Draft, and Cedrick Lang to join the UTEP football team as a defensive end.

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly (Special Edition) : Iron Focus

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor April 8, 2015

With their minds on training and gaining valuable skills before they go to the National Training Center in California, thousands of Ft.Bliss soldiers took part in Iron Focus, one of Ft.Bliss’s largest training exercises of the year. Among these soldiers...

Continue Reading
No dream for DREAMers

No dream for DREAMers

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor April 1, 2015

Flashing back four years ago when I began searching for a university to attend, one of my main concerns was the cost of tuition of the university. This is one of the main reasons why I decided to solely apply to Texas universities. In-state tuition is...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly March 20, 2015

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor March 20, 2015

This week in news, parents and relatives of the 43 missing Ayotzinapa college students from Iguala Mexico spoke to UTEP students, Associate Athletic Director causes controversy over tweets, and TCM celebrations take place on campus.

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly March 6, 2015

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor March 6, 2015

This week in news, a pedestrian was involved in a hit and run accident on campus, the He For She campaign will have a live stream Facebook event with Emma Watson, and the university hosts Alcohol Awareness week just in time for Spring Break.

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly February 27, 2015

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor February 27, 2015

Continue Reading
Texas styles— Fashions for different passions

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor February 24, 2015

In a state as big as Texas it is no surprise that when it comes to fashion, the influence and differences are endless. This is true when it comes to college fashion. With about 170 colleges in the Lone Star state­—  Texas serves as an oversized canvas...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly February 20, 2015

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor February 20, 2015

Continue Reading
Gabriel Iglesias brought his Unity through laughter tour to the Don Haskins Center Friday, February 13.

A single order of encores with a large dose of laughter

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor February 13, 2015

With the clock ticking, counting the minutes Gabriel Iglesias has been on the stage  at the Don Haskins Center for his Unity through Laughter World Tour. Iglesias looks down picks up the clock and tells the audience that he was supposed to...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly February 13, 2015

This week in news, UTEP celebrates Black History Month and Project Move begins sign-up processes.

Continue Reading
Bitter-sweet and proud

Bitter-sweet and proud

Amanda Guillen, Assistant Editor February 10, 2015

It seems every year after all the Christmas candy has cleared the shelves, stores start making room for Valentine’s Day merchandise. For many this is just a small reminder that time is ticking to find that special person who you’ll share Feb. 14th...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly February 6, 2015

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor February 6, 2015

This week in news TxDot schedules more closures for the surrounding UTEP areas, El Paso goes down in ranking, and the Rubin Center offers free membership to students.

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly January 30, 2015

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor January 30, 2015

This week in news, UTEP names a new interim provost, UTEP students react to Juarez ranking 27th most violent city in the world, and Carrie the Musical takes over the UTEP Dinner Theater.

Continue Reading

Daudistel returns as interim provost

Amanda Guillen, Assistant Editor January 20, 2015

Junius Gonzales, former provost and vice president for academic affairs, announced in November his new job as senior vice president for academic affairs of all 17 campuses for the University of North Carolina, which will become effective Jan. 28. Currently,...

Continue Reading
Organization aims to unite border region

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor/Multimedia Editor December 2, 2014

The Borderplex Alliance is making it its mission to change the way El Paso, Chihuahua and portions of southern New Mexico work together in order to create a healthy local economy by recruiting business and industry to the region. The 2-year-old private,...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly, November 21st

Kimberly Valle and Amanda Guillen November 21, 2014

This week in news Provost Junius Gonzales moves to UNC, protestors gather to raise awareness for 43 college students in Ayotzinapa, Mexico, Britches to Riches run will brgin at Leech Grove, UTEP health sciences held a conference in effort to improve homeless...

Continue Reading
Protestors gather in order to bring awareness to the unjust kidnapping and the possible murder of 43 college students in Ayotzinapa, Mexico.

El Pasoans unite for missing Ayotzinapa students

Forty-three empty metallic chairs glisten in the sun. Sitting in each chair is a fluttering black and white picture, one for each of the 43 missing students from Ayotzinapa, Guerrero. “Forty-three chairs, 43 people and 43 biographies. So...

Continue Reading
Provost to leave UTEP

Provost to leave UTEP

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor/Multimedia Editor November 19, 2014

Provost and vice president for academic affairs for the University of Texas at El Paso, Junius J. Gonzales, will have a new job title effective January 28, 2015. Gonzales has been appointed as the senior vice president for academic affairs of all 17...

Continue Reading
Britches to Riches

Britches to Riches

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor/Multimedia Editor November 18, 2014

Striping down to their unmentionables for a good cause is what students in Dr. Martina Myers’ communication 3354 class are preparing to do on Friday, Nov. 21. UTEP’s first annual Britches to Riches The Undie Run is an idea brought to UTEP by junior...

Continue Reading
Millennials delaying marriage, couples waiting for financial stability

Amanda Guillen, Multimedia Editor/ Managing Editor November 11, 2014

According to a 2010 report done by the Pew Research Center, 26 percent of young people in their 20s are married. This is compared to 68 percent of 20-somethings in 1960. The report calls the decrease in marriages the “marriage gap,” which is aligned...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly October 31

Amanda Guillen and Kimberly Valle October 31, 2014

This weeks in news includes, shuttle to Juarez for tourist, 6th annual Smithsonian celebrates Dia de Los Muertos at UTEP, speech language pathologist program is rewarded a 1.2 million dollar grant, El Paso prepares for Dia de Los Muertos, UTEP mens basketball...

Continue Reading
Are sexy Halloween costumes demeaning or freeing? Freeing

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor October 28, 2014

When you try on your new outfit after countless attempts to get it just right, you feel confident, secure and beautiful. Clothing is a figure of expression and it should enhance the way you feel on the inside. Not everyone favors the laid-back t-shirt...

Continue Reading
Woman walks around Concordia Cemetery last year on Día De Los Muertos.

El Paso prepares for Día de los Muertos

In some cultures, death is not where life ends, it is where it begins. Starting on Oct. 31 and ending on Nov. 3, the celebrations of the Day of the Dead, or typically called Día de los Muertos, begin. In El Paso, this traditional Mexican holiday is...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly October 24

Amanda Guillen and Kimberly Valle October 24, 2014

This week in news, a demonstration on campus raises awareness for missing Mexican college students, International Food Fair to take place in the Union Plaza, UTEP haunted tours to frighten guests, dance major to help young children with down syndrome...

Continue Reading
Early voting begins, more than 3K students registered

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor October 21, 2014

The University Democrats surpassed their goal of 3,000 and registered a total of 3,170 students to vote this year, according to Jose Villalobos, associate professor of political science and advisor for the organization. “They’ve made me very proud...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly October 17

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor/Multimedia Editor October 17, 2014

This week in news, the UTEP Dinner Theater will kick of its production of Footloose: The Musical, immigration reform is under the microscope after midterms elections, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Continue Reading
President Barack Obama will delay immigration reform until after elections.

Students voice opinion on delayed immigration action

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor/Multimedia Editor October 14, 2014

Voters affected by immigration issues may be torn at the polls with the upcoming midterm elections just around the corner and a delay of immigration action at the forefront. Students on both sides of the political spectrum have come together to voice...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly October 10

Amanda Guillen and Kimberly Valle October 10, 2014

This week in news,the U.S. Postal Service releases a special UTEP Centennial stamp, art exhibit brings color to the Union Gallery, Walk a Mile in her Shoes event to take over downtown El Paso, Chalk the Block to attract more than 30,000 El Pasoans,HIV/AIDS...

Continue Reading
UTEP alumni celebrate the centennial festivities.

No new gold nuggets

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor/Multimedia Editor October 7, 2014

UTEP has been recognizing a select group of alumni as the cream of the crop for 64 years, but this year the usual process is not going to suffice. Instead, to honor UTEP’s centennial year, there will be a celebration of all of the previous recipients. The...

Continue Reading
Greek Life secrecy unethical

Greek Life secrecy unethical

Due to some questioning about the current status of a fraternity here on campus, it has come to my attention that there are alleged accusations of hazing in the UTEP chapter of Phi Delta Theta. As a reporter at a university newspaper, it is my duty to...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly Oct. 3, 2014

Amanda Guillen and Kimberly Valle October 3, 2014

This week in news,UTEP Homecoming events will take place from Oct. 6- 11, 3-D printer to revolutionize the industry, and the UTEP library celebrates its 30th birthday.

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly Sept. 26, 2014

Amanda Guillen and Kimberly Valle September 26, 2014

This week in news, tuition will not increase for students, UTEP Celebrates takes over local area schools, Congressman helps students get ready to vote, UTEP Women's Volleyball will face off against North Texas, and UTEP Football takes on the Kansas State...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly Sept. 19, 2014

Amanda Guillen and Kimberly Valle September 19, 2014

This week in news, a doll takes over the Union Cinema, the university celebrates International Peace Day, One Direction to perform at the Sun Bowl, Hispanic Heritage ceremonies take place at UTEP, and 25,000 set to take part in the first annual Glory...

Continue Reading
Comfort over compromise

Comfort over compromise

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor/Multimedia Editor September 17, 2014

My entire life I always knew I wanted to be in front of an audience. Whether it be performing, playing sports or speaking, I wanted to communicate something important to others. Throughout my high school career, I joined as many clubs and organizations...

Continue Reading

The Prospector News Weekly September 12

Amanda Guillen and Kimberly Valle September 12, 2014

This week in news, a blood drive brings together two rivals,suicide prevention week spreads awareness around campus, UTEP is once again ranked nationally, Mexican artist sculpts gift for UTEP, Technology Support Center will host it's first annual graphic...

Continue Reading

A day of remembrance- UTEP reflects on September 11

Amanda Guillen, Managing Editor/Multimedia Editor September 11, 2014

Continue Reading

Amanda Guillen