Miners in prime form for Border Shootout

Midfielder Angela Cutaia is having a breakout season for the Miners in her junior year, leading the team in goals and points.

Conference play is the priority and the focal point of most college programs.  That is definitely the case for the UTEP women’s soccer program, but that doesn’t mean its non-conference schedule is not important.

Already off to a great start with this 2014 season, head coach Kevin Cross’ team will host Northern Arizona University and the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, on Friday and Sunday, respectively, for the 15th-annual Border Shootout.

These two matches, will take place on the pitch of University Field, are the final two before UTEP begins its Conference USA schedule.

“We’re just taking it one game at a time. I’m thankful the team is playing well and scoring goals and playing good defense,” Cross said.  “We obviously have to keep playing better.”

The Miners, picked to finish fifth among the 14 teams in Conference USA, have gotten off to a great start with solid contributions across all of its lines.

Led by midfielder Angela Cutaia and forward Bri Barreiro, the Miner offense has scored a considerable amount of goals and have only allowed a few, thanks to a strong defense anchored by Hannah Asuchak and Preseason All C-USA selection Aleah Davis. The few times opponents have found a way past the Miner back four, senior goalkeeper Sarah Dilling has been close to unbeatable, recording four shutouts in six games.

The importance of these games is not lost on Cutaia, who is responsible for four Miner goals this season.

“Obviously, you want to go undefeated, for preseason that’s something we all talked about,” Cutaia said. “It’s our mindset—that we want to win all the time.”

In the Lumberjacks of Northern Arizona, the Miners will face last year’s second-best team from the Big Sky Conference.

Picked to finish third this season, NAU recorded 11 wins last season and has seven returning starters, including six All-Sky Conference selections.

Led by Coach Andre Luciano, in his 14th year, and midfielder Cierra Gamble, a 2013 All-Big Sky First Team selection and the conference’s golden boot winner, the Lumberjacks come to El Paso looking for their first-ever win against UTEP.

In four meetings, the Miners have come out on top every single time, outscoring NAU 15-6.  

These two teams met as recently as last year, when UTEP traveled to Flagstaff, and thanks to four second-half goals, they earned a 4-3 victory.  

Among the current Miner players who participated in that contest are Barreiro and Cutaia, each contributing a goal to the cause.

After the meeting with NAU, the Miners will take on another team with double-digit wins in 2013.  The UNLV Rebels come to town being tabbed to finish seventh in the Mountain West Conference, one spot lower than they did a year ago.

Coach Chris Shaw is in his first season heading the program and has 16 players returning from last season and seven starters.  Still, the Rebels must deal with a certain lack of experience, having just one senior on the roster, and the loss of its best player in 2013—Jenn Wolf.

Making up for the on-field production of two-time All-Conference forward, Wolfe will be no easy task for Shaw. Wolfe left big shoes to fill after leading the team in scoring for the past two years, tallying 19 goals, and 19 assists in 2013.

The Miners and the Rebels have only met once before in 2000, when UNLV hosted and prevailed over UTEP, shutting the Miners out 3-0.

Closing out the final stretch of non-conference games positively is important for coach Cross and the Miners.  Forward Barreiro understands the task of not only getting good results, but also improving in order to be ready for the most important part of the schedule.

“Every game, we need to get better and better, which is what we’re doing,” Barreiro said. “Once conference hits, those are going to be our hardest games of the year.”

Luis Gonzalez may be reached at [email protected]