Miners defeat FIU, 2-1

Cristina Esquivel
UTEP goalkeeper Sarah Dilling attempting a save.

In the UTEP women’s soccer teams last home match of the season, the Miners came through with the win against Florida International 2-1, at University Field.

In the first half the Miners controlled possession and were on the attack for the majority of the half. UTEP had seven shots on goal and five corner kicks. In the 25th minute the Miners took the lead off an Aleah Davis goal.

The play started off a corner kick, after a missed attempt in the box, junior midfielder Lauren Katada got the deflection and passed the ball of to Davis for the goal, and the Miners first lead.

Shortly after Florida International came back with an attack. The Panthers nearly scored with the shot hitting top post before going out of bounds. Within a matter of seconds the Panthers stole possession, and equalized the match.

Junior midfielder Madlen Wienhardt put the shot into the top right corner, where Miner goalkeeper Sarah Dilling had no chance of saving.

In the second half it was much of the same, the Miners controlled possession throughout the first 30 minutes, while the Panthers tried to counter. In the 57th minute the Panthers conceded a penalty kick of a handball. Miner leading goal scorer Angela Cutaia took the penalty and put the Miners back in front.

Once the Miners secured the lead they went defensive. Head Coach Kevin Cross subbed out senior midfielder Mackenzie German, to add another defender on the back line. The switch nearly proved costly for the Miners.

Just in the last 10 minutes alone the Panthers out shot the Miners, and finished the game with more shots, and one less corner kick. FIU’s leading forward Ashleigh Shim pressured the Miner backline without hesitating for the last 10 minutes.

“She (Shim) was a very good forward,” said Taylor O’Hayre senior defender. “She came off the bench in the second half and she had that momentum. We we’re all a little worn out and she came in strong.”

After a nail biting last 10 minutes were FIU controlled possession and pressured the Miners with shot after shot, UTEP held on for the victory. The Miners are now 12-5-2 and 6-2-1 in conference play, the Miners last came more than three weeks ago against Conference USA leader North Texas in overtime.

The Miners will now go on the road for their last regular season match of the season against Old Dominion, before the C-USA tournament in November.

Javier Cortez may be reached at [email protected].