Another heart breaker

Texas Tech vs. UTEP 2014
UTEPvsTech_MR_03
The Miners offense celebrates after taking the lead late in the fourth quarter.

The UTEP Miners football team and the 35,422 fans in attendance all felt something too familiar at the end of tonight’s game—heartbreak. For the third straight year the Miners lose their home opener, this time in heart breaking fashion against the Texas Tech Red Raiders, 30-26.

There was never a point in the game where it seemed like the Miners were in control, it always seemed like it was just a matter of time before Texas Tech would execute and score. Luckily for the Miners it came in long and drawn out spurts.

In the first quarter the Red Raiders could not get out of their own way. Just when it seemed like they were poised to score, they shot themselves in the foot with penalties or blown plays. The Miners took advantage of the Red Raiders mishaps, but only to a certain point. The Miners got down to the red zone twice in the first quarter but failed to cross the goal line.

After a quarter of futility, the Red Raiders took no time to score in the second quarter. Running back Justin Stockton scampered for 75 yards to erase the Miners well-earned lead in a matter of 12 seconds.

The second quarter was the best quarter Texas Tech had offensively the whole game, scoring 16 points on 204 yards of total offense. UTEP’s response all night to the Red Raider attack was sophomore running back Aaron Jones.

After a career night against New Mexico in the season opener, Jones would follow with another spectacular game, rushing for 151 yards and scoring twice. Despite the loss Jones’ believes this game proves the Miners can play with anyone in the country.

Running back Aaron Jones carries the ball on his way to a 151 total rushing yards.

“I just wanted to go out and show that our team can play with any team in the country,” Jones said. “We feel like we proved that, but we just came up a little short.”

The Miners run game carried the offense once again, accounting 282 of the Miners 393 yards of total offense. Backup running back Jeremiah Laufasa complemented Jones well all night, rushing for 47 yards on six carries.

The Miners pass offense was another story— starting quarterback Jameill Showers was out of rhythm all night, having one of his worst game in a Miner uniform. The senior only completed nine of his 25 attempted passes.

“Just inaccurate, it was on me,” Showers said. “I didn’t settle down enough early in the game, it something that you have to go to practice and go to work for.”

After going down by 10 points midway through the third quarter it seemed like the Miners fate was all but sealed. The Miners proved that they are not the team everyone saw last year, scoring 13 unanswered to take the lead late in the fourth quarter.

The Red Raiders came back and scored with ease to take the lead. It was the Red Raiders fast paced offense that undid the Miners, as they scored in two minutes, 33 seconds on seven plays.

The Miners tried to put a drive together after a spectacular kick return by Autrey Golden, but an incomplete pass on fourth down ended the Miners hopes of winning the game as Texas Tech ran the clock out for the win.

The Miners now fall to 1-1 on the season, with rival New Mexico State coming to town next week. Head coach Sean Kugler knows that the Miners need to focus and get back to work.

“Were not going to console ourselves,” Kugler said. “Were gonna come back to work on Tuesday and we got a 2-0 New Mexico State team coming in here, and there gonna come after us, so we got to get ready.”