Halloween: The complete collection slashes its way to the store shelves

Andres Martinez
Halloween: The Complete collection includes all ten of the “Halloween” movies.

In the horror/terror movie genre, there exists a myriad of films devoted to scare the life out of viewers.  Through the course of time, hundreds of films have been made to appeal to the gore and macabre loving fanatics that have kept the genre relevant in cinema.  However, not all horror-film franchises have enjoyed success throughout time as much as Halloween and it’s menacing main character, Michael Myers, have.

Just in time for Halloween, slasher-flick fans can enjoy all of the Halloween movies comprised in one boxset.  Halloween: The Complete Collection was released on September 23 to horror fans everywhere, complete with the original John Carpenter’s 1978 release down to Rod Zombie’s re-imagining of the franchise with Halloween and Halloween II (not to be confused with the 1981 release, Halloween II, directed by Rick Rosenthal and produced by the original’s director, John Carpenter).  I, of course, bought the deluxe version of the boxset which comes with 5 extra bonus discs.  I would highly advice any Halloween and horror fans to purchase the deluxe version as it has hundreds of bonus hours full of great materials including interviews with the directors of all the Halloween movies and their casts.

It also has audio commentary for each Halloween movie and original theatrical trailers.  The deluxe version  also includes TV-versions of both the original Halloween and  1981’s Halloween II.  These versions were made back in the day to fit the timing for TV-airing films.  Both the original Halloween and Halloween II didn’t run for long enough to fit airing time-frames and so both directors had to film added scenes for airing time.  Of course, each film comes with
deleted scenes.

The real gem, however, of the deluxe version of the boxset is the producer’s cut of 1996’s Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers.  Generally known as Halloween 6 amongst horror fans, the producer’s cut of this film is exclusive to the deluxe version.  This version of The Curse includes deleted and added scenes that make the film completely different than the theatrical release.  What was to be called Halloween 666: The Origin of Michael Myers has scratched and reworked into the script, production and cut that was the theatrical 1996 release.  The producer’s cut, however, includes those deleted scenes and alternative script and plot that make for an entirely new film.  This is a version of the film that has never before been released.  This disk alone makes the deluxe version a must have amongst the franchises’ fans and horror-film fans everywhere.  Believe me, it is
a must have.

With each disk cramped with added bonus material and features, Halloween: The Complete Collection is what all Halloween fans have been waiting for and they’ve been waiting a long time. With each Halloween movie release and each Halloween coming and going, Michael Myer’s fans were patiently waiting for a boxset like this.

With each Halloween movie released under different directors, distributers and production teams, the right to each movie made it incredibly difficult to compile each film into a collection.  Finally, thanks to Scream Factory and Anchor Bay Entertainment, Halloween fans can finally sleep in peace.  That is, if you’re not up because of you were having nightmares.

Jose Soto may be reached at [email protected]