UTEP celebrates Hispanic heritage

Justin Rodriguez
Ballet Floklorico Flor y Canto, Inc. performs at the union.

UTEP is well into celebrating Hispanic heritage. The celebration began in late August and will continue into early November. Traditionally, Hispanic Heritage Month takes place between Sept. 15 and Oct. 15. The celebration encompasses presentations on border studies, violence on the border, theater and dance performances, exhibits and more.

Key events began with a free public presentation about academic study, global politics and local business on Sept. 13 at 10 a.m. in UTEP’s Blumberg Auditorium. Kathleen Staudt, professor in political science and renowned educator for her work on the Western Hemispheric Trade Policy, spoke about border studies all over the world. 

She and UTEP graduate student, Pamela Cruz, discussed their shared research on business people, their organizations and local political officials dealing with trade and security priorities at the U.S.-Mexico border.

The celebration continued with the annual El Grito ceremony, which commemorates the Declaration of Mexican Independence, Sept. 16. The event took place at 11 a.m. Sept. 15 at the Union Plaza.

Upcoming events include a presentation by Lalo Alcatraz, cartoonist and political satirist, who will visit UTEP at noon, Sept. 25, at the Tomás Rivera Conference Center in room 308 in Union Building East. He will discuss the increasing popularity of his commentary on race and class relations in the U.S. His visit is expected to draw a large audience. On Nov. 1, the university will pay homage to Día de los Muertos.”

Luis Barrio may be reached at [email protected].