Street Fest is set to rock downtown EP

Michaela Román

Continuing the annual tradition, El Paso’s Downtown Street Festival is set to take over the downtown area with car exhibitions, food, art shows and live music.  The two-day festival will take place on June 23 and 24, with the gates opening at 6 p.m. each day.

The annual festival will take place outside the Abraham Chavez Theater, the Convention Center and all the way up to Santa Fe Street.

This year, 12 local artists will be in the spotlight as they display their paintings during the festival. Additionally, the 2017 O’Riley Auto Championship Custom Car Show will be held in the Convention Center, where close to 200 custom cars will be in exhibit.

The main Budweiser stage and three smaller stages will highlight music from different genres such us indie rock, country, alternative and Latin music.

Metal core band In This Moment and self-proclaimed “cinematic rock” artist Starset will perform at the Budweiser stage on Friday, June 23, alongside main headliners Papa Roach. The Vacaville, Calif., quartet will make its return to the Sun City after their previous performance at the El Paso County Coliseum in 2013. Attendees can expect early 2000s anthems such as “Last Resort” and “Scars.”

Saturday will showcase hard rock group Jackyl and heavy metal veterans Dokken. At night, heavy metal legend Alice Cooper will set up at the Budweiser stage.

Cooper’s antics and theatrics are characteristic of his performances, which sometimes include guillotines and fake blood and snakes.  Cooper will close the event with some of his most famous singles such as “Poison” from the album “Trash” (1989), and “School’s Out” from the album “School’s Out” (1972).

General admission starts at $35 for everyone ages 13 and up. Children from 2-12 years old pay $15 and those under the age of 2 can enter  the event for free. The festival also offers front row and VIP tickets.

Attendees will not be allowed to return or get a refund once they leave the area.

All tickets can be purchased on ticketmaster.com or at the Plaza Theatre Box Office.