UTEP football plans to renew rivalry with former WAC opponents

File photo The Prospector

The Miners football team will once again square off against the likes of former Western Atletic Conference (WAC) rivals New Mexico and Nevada according to UTEP Athletic Department officicals.

“We’re excited to renew rivalries with old WAC foes New Mexico and Nevada,” said head coach Sean Kugler in a press release. “Both are teams that El Paso fans are very familiar with and will be excited to see.”

They will host Nevada on Sept. 21, 2019 and plan to travel to Reno, Nevada, on Sept. 12, 2020. Down the line, starting in the 2021 season, UTEP will take on UNM in the Sun Bowl on Sept. 25, and travel to Albuquerque, N.M. on Sept. 17, 2022.

The last time UTEP faced off with Nevada was in 2002, and the Wolf Pack leads the series 2-1. Although they are storied rivals, the last time the Miners took on the Lobos was in 2014 at Albuquerque. The Miners won 31-24 in the matchup.

The series between the Miners and Lobos is the second-longest in program history, playing 78 games. UNM leads the series 43-32-3.