Thomas and Taylor named C-USA Players of the Week

Forward Paul Thomas of the men’s basketball team and guard Sparkle Taylor of the women’s basketball team both were named Conference USA Players of the Week for their respective leagues.

Taylor made history for the Miners as she scored 34 points against North Texas and Rice. She became the first player in school history to have back-to-back 30-plus point games. She accumulated 68 points, shot 23-of-35 from the floor and shot 81 percent from the line.

After a historic performance UTEP senior guard Sparkle Taylor has been voted as the Conference USA Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, it was revealed by the league office Monday morning. Taylor scored 34 points against both North Texas (2/16) and Rice (2/18) to become the first player in program history to post back-to-back 30+ point games.

“Sparkle is a great young lady whom I’ve enjoyed coaching these four years,” head coach Keitha Adams said in a press release. “I’m happy for her to receive this honor.”

On the men’s side, Thomas orchestrated back-to-back double-double games in the Miners’ two road wins last week. He averaged 20 points and 12.5 boards through both games and shot a whopping 68 percent from the field. Thomas earned his career best on Thursday night’s 77-71 overtime victory against North Texas with his 23 points and 14 rebounds. This is his first Player of the Week honor.

The women’s squad will continue their home stretch on Thursday and Saturday as they face off Florida Atlantic and Florida International, respectively. The men will be on the road against Florida Atlantic on Thursday and Florida International on Saturday.