Predictions, hopes and wishes for Neon Desert 2017

Ladies get out your extremely outdated flower crowns, and gentlemen grab your “authentic” NBA throwback jerseys—because Neon Desert 2017 music festival is back.  Last year, when the lineup for the music festival leaked, locals went on all social media outlets to voice their opinions against it. However, come late May of 2016, almost all those who were dissing the lineup were scrapping for tickets at the last minute. Even though the lineup did not seem appealing to some, Neon Desert was a hit. Based on the previous years, Neon Desert 2017 will not disappoint.

Rap

Who we want: 
Chance the Rapper, A$AP Rocky, Logic, Travis Scott

Who to expect:

Post Malone, Young Thug, Kevin Gates, Migos

Neon Desert has brought the back-to-back hottest rappers of the year with J Cole (2015) and Future (2016), but can they make it a three-peat? Bringing a rapper like Chance the Rapper or Travis Scott would complete the measure, but with Chance touring in Georgia on May 28, it seems impossible for the Chi-Town rapper to make a stop in the Sun City. Bringing Travis Scott after his impressive sophomore album, “Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight,” would be impressive. Having Post Malone headline, however, might shy away from the attention for the rapping aspect of Neon Desert, but Young Thug or Migos would suffice. 

Electronic/Dance

Who we want:

Hardwell, Dillon Francis, Alesso

Who to expect:

Zeds Dead, Knife Party, Marshmello, Slushii

After the grandiose crowd that flooded the festival for Tiësto and Carnage last year, there’s no doubt that the Neon Desert committee will focus, or fix in on, getting a top name DJ for both days of the music festival. This year Neon Desert might bring a DJ who has not seen the likes of El Paso to dazzle the rave-heavy city. Hardwell or Alesso would be a hit for the home crowd, and Dillon Francis, Knife Party or Marshmello would be exceptional sets to see as well.

Indie/Alt. Rock

Who we want:

The XX, Tame Impala, Cage the Elephant

Who to expect:

Foster the People, Chromeo, Neon Indian, Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals, Local Natives

Neon Desert was originally an indie-heavy music festival in its origins and early stages, however, the shift has gone toward rap and EDM. Last year, the closest thing to a widely known indie band coming was STRFKR, who have already been to Neon Desert and El Paso multiple times. Hopefully Neon Desert will change that this year. Groups like The XX seem very unlikely for a concert series like Neon Desert, but maybe an addition of Tame Impala, Neon Indian or the Local Natives would be ideal. Even though Anderson .Paak does not necessarily fit the indie category, he would precede a Neon Desert veteran like Toro Y Moi.

Who we want:

Kehlani, Lil Uzi Vert, Flatbush Zombies, The Underachievers, Domo Genesis

Who to expect:

G Herbo, Playboi Carti, Russ

While 2016 featured exceptional rappers, such as Tyler, the Creator and A$AP Ferg, it might be predicted that 2017 will feature more trap-flavored lower card hip-hop artists. Tyler, the Creator put up arguably the best set of 2016, so who’s to say that a lower card rapper can’t do the same this year? A rapper like Lil Uzi Vert or Playboi Carti would enthrall the local rap scene, while smooth artists such as Kehlani or Domo Genesis would prove to be noteworthy acts.

Throwback artists/bands
Who we want:

Ice Cube, Sublime with Rome or Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Who to expect:

Fatboy Slim, Jim Ward & Nelly

In the past, Neon Desert has had excellent throwback artists, with Sparta, Method Man & Redman, Antemasque, Slightly Stoopid, Ludacris and Cypress Hill. These groups attract a more mature crowd, and they add an added flavor to the concert series. Rappers such as Ice Cube or Nelly would add suavity that Neon has not seen since Method Man & Redman.

Local artists/bands

Who we want: Khalid, Evander Griiim, Ribo Flavin

Who to expect:

The Other Half, Stan Z, Rare Individuals, Frythm

In the last year, Khalid and Evander Griiim have taken the mainstream scene by storm and soared past all expectations. They quickly rose to the top of stardom and easily surpassed the local ranks, so to see them attend Neon Desert would be an exceptional addition. We can expect most local bands to make an appearance, which would also be a luxury.

Early bird tickets for a two-day pass are still on sale for $99 and VIP for $250 on neondesertmusicfestival.com.

Relive day one and day two of Neon Desert 2016 here: