Valentine’s gift ideas for the college student

Let’s face it, Valentine’s Day is full of added pressure to buy the perfect gift, and thinking of what to get your significant other is challenging and often frustrating. Here are a few presents that can be universally given without completely emptying your wallet:

Record Player

Going a unique, vintage route for gift giving might prove to be a solid gift for a significant other. A decent record player is not only aesthetically appealing to the modern college student, but also it can be a really thoughtful present for music lovers. Prices for decent record players can range from $30 to $70 depending on the type of system you chose. Throwing in their favorite album or getting creative with the record player is an added bonus. Also, to make it even more creative and an added gift, adding a subscription of “Vinyl Me Please” could be the icing on the cake as far as presents go. “Vinyl Me Please” is a monthly subscription that sends the subscriber a random record each month and allows them to even swap out the record for another one if they are not satisfied. It’s a perfect subscription to build a vinyl collection on and starts at $23.99.

Subscription boxes

Although sometimes overdone in presents, getting monthly subscription boxes for him or her is a firm present that keeps on giving. Birchbox, for women, is a subscription that sends the lady a box full of makeup samples and body care products for only $10 a month. Often Birchbox offers specials for first-time customers and even allows the woman to personalize her preferences in a box.

On the man’s side, SprezzaBox is probably one of the highest-rated male monthly subscription boxes. SprezzaBox is a box that follows men’s tastes and includes items such as ties, socks, hair and skin products and other grooming additions each month.  The good news for the box is that first-time buyers get their first box for $8 however the bad part is that the subscription increases to $28 per month afterward.

Concert Tickets

A thoughtful present to a Valentine could be concert tickets. Realistically, both of you will go to the concert together anyways, so Valentine’s Day is a perfect excuse to snatch tickets to a highly anticipated show. Local concert series, such as Neon Desert and the Texas Country Music Festival, are both anticipated events that will storm through the city. Any other concerts, such as The 1975, Isaiah Rashad, Elton John, Guns N’ Roses or Band of Horses are all upcoming shows that each have reasonable ticket prices.

Book Subscription

If your partner isn’t a fan of basic makeup or grooming subscription boxes, one of the most thoughtful gifts could be a monthly subscription book box. Bookcase Club is a website that allows the buyer to gift a two-book subscription according to the preference of genre. The different genres they include in their subscription boxes include mystery/thriller, sci-fi/fantasy, young adult, children, romance, cookbooks and military history books. Also, on Amazon, there are different comic book subscriptions that send different comic books to your doorstep each month.

Water bottle

This one can be creative based on your date’s preference. For a sporty, athletic couple, a personalized gym water bottle or protein shaker is a thoughtful present that is both cost efficient and can be used daily. A studious partner could use a travel water bottle they can carry throughout the day in backpacks, such as a Camelback, S’well or Hydro Flask water bottles. All of these are noteworthy gifts, but the best and possibly most useful water bottle purchase is definitely a Yeti canteen. Whether it be the 10 oz. Lowball or the 30 oz. Rambler, Yeti cups are the highest trending water and coffee carrier. These cups are not only widely used, but also keep drinks cold or coffee warm throughout the day.

Portable Speakers

This present is for possibly anybody who likes music. A portable speaker can be used while taking a shower, hanging out with friends or cleaning your room. They usually run relatively cheap. Amazon always has sales on brand new portable speakers starting at $19.99 and with Prime shipping the speaker would make it before Valentine’s Day. Whether it be a small speaker that can fit in a backpack or a big speaker to keep in the house, a portable speaker would be a solid gift for anyone.

Coupon Books

After dropping stacks of money around Christmas time it could be hard scrapping up funds for Valentine’s Day. Never fear because a DIY coupon book for your significant other is a sweet gift that doesn’t hurt your wallet. Creative coupons giving someone a dinner date, the chance to pick a movie or a pass to get out of a fight is a gift that can be enjoyable and entertaining for both members of a  couple.

Kitchen Items

An inexpensive, yet interesting waffle maker would add flavor to someone’s kitchen. Waffles are totally underrated, and with a waffle maker anything is possible for a delightful breakfast. Also, Sprouts, Albertsons and Whole Foods all have different waffle mixes and syrups to add to the gift.

Another exciting kitchen item could be a French press for coffee lovers. A French press can change how your significant other drinks coffee every day with its different and special way of preparing coffee. Add some coffee beans or creamer for an extra bonus.