Farewell to UTEP

Shericka Lawrence, Staff Reporter

I didn’t know what my life would turn out to be when I moved to El Paso back in 2012. But what I did know was that I was making a change in my life that was most definitely needed. I came here in the summer of 2012 and the rest is history.

I first landed in El Paso in June. I moved with my older brother for a year, and then found my own place, but life happens and I ended up living on campus. While living on campus I met a lot of people who gave me life, as well as took life from me. But that’s what life is about—a growing process of becoming mentally tough and spiritually stronger.

I came to UTEP to finish up my degree, which honestly I didn’t know what I wanted to do at the time. I registered, but I knew I wanted to get a college degree. I started majoring in multimedia journalism in spring 2014. I wanted to become bilingual my last semester of my degree, but since I wanted to learn another language, my graduation date got pushed back to the fall of 2016.

I was hesitant at first to take on a minor being so close to my graduation day, but I wanted to be the first in my family to learn another language. I signed up for my minor classes, but I wanted to learn the authentic Spanish language so I signed up for the Miners Going Global program, which coincided with the study abroad program. I applied for the 12-week program to study at the Salamanca University, located in Salamanca, Spain. I got accepted and spent the summer of 2015 in Spain. I enjoyed every single minute of that experience, along with that being my first time out of the country.

I learned Spanish and learned the culture by immersing myself in the actual culture.

I have appreciated everything that El Paso as well as UTEP has taught me. The city of El Paso taught me that, just because we are all people of color doesn’t mean we all will get along. The city also taught me that people could smile in your face as well as talk about you behind your back because people would rather see you struggle than see you succeed.

UTEP taught me that not all professors have your best interest at heart, but only to make ends meet with their personal situation. I was blessed with my first reporting position with The Prospector. I was so honored and blessed when I received this opportunity. But quickly understood that the industry I want to work in may not accept women or respect women to be on an equal playing field as men.

From a failed marriage, to a miscarriage, to losing a relationship with my dad, to getting back on my feet with the strength of the Lord, El Paso made me proud to be Shericka N. Lawrence and despite how people have viewed me, or what they have said about me, I have chosen to rise above all the hate and strive for my desired goals.

Shericka Lawrence may NOT be reached at theprospectordaily.news@gmail.com.