Irony at its finest

We as Mexicans and Hispanics complain about Trump’s idea of building a wall. We defend our flag and our people, and we expose all the injustices that our people suffer as a minority in the U.S. We speak with pride about our people and culture, without noticing that Mexico is racist against immigrants, just as much as the United States.

Did you know about the Mexican newspaper that supports Trump’s idea of building a wall?

El Mañana, a newspaper in the state of Tamaulipas, reported that the idea of the Republican candidate is a good one, the only difference is that they want a wall between southern Mexico and Central America.

El Mañana said that the immigration problem that Mexico and the U.S. are going through can be resolved with the construction of a wall that would prevent illegal Central Americans from entering Mexico.

“Peace and tranquility has ended in the Mexican border and deported Central Americans from the U.S. who stay in Mexican territory have been a cause of this loss of peace,” El Mañana wrote.

El Mañana also said that Central Americans are deported from the U.S. to Mexican territory and not to their original country, which presents a problem for Mexican people. They said that many Central Americans become delinquents, who commit crimes such as kidnappings, and in the worst of the cases, they end up joining the drug cartels.

Irony at its finest? I think so.

How can a Mexican newspaper support the idea of a wall in the southern border knowing the struggles that the Mexican population has to experience once they decide to reach out for the “American dream?”

Why are they making Central Americans responsible for crimes? Instead of making these arguments against immigrants, make your government responsible for the crimes in your nation.

Central Americans just want a better life, so why should we blame them for the violence in Mexico? The comments by El Mañana are no different to Trump’s when he insulted Mexican immigrants.

How can you ask for a wall between Mexico and Guatemala without taking into consideration all the abuses that your country commits against immigrants?

The Guardian has reported that Mexican officials in the southern border confuse their own citizens by calling them illegal Central Americans. Many of these indigenous Mexicans don’t speak Spanish, and as a result, many officials take advantage of the indigenous people.

They are accused of holding false documents and forced to sign documents without knowing what are they’re agreeing to.

According to The Guardian, Mexican officials physically abuse Central Americans and Mexicans, who they think are not legal. Then they are deported to Guatemala, a country they don’t know anything about.

Yes, authorities in the southern border of Mexico have and continue to abuse Central Americans immigrants. Complaints of abuse caused by Mexican officials have grown by 40 percent after President Enrique Peña Nieto’s border plan was implemented in 2014.

Also at the end of June 2015, Mexico’s National Commission on Human Rights  reported that 567 abuse complaints had been filed against officials at the National Migration Institute.

Peña’s idea was to have a safer border and to have human rights protected, even for people without  Mexican nationality.

Safer border and protection of rights? Does it sound familiar to Trump’s ideas?

It pretty much does. Trump has made it clear that he wants to build a wall that would stop the “rapists and the ones who bring crime,” but allow the entrance of those immigrants who do good while respecting “American values.”

Many of us are not informed, we make judgments and we feel as we are the biggest victim of these immigration issues.  The reality is that Central Americans have it way harder than Mexicans, and just to make it clear, I’m not trying to minimize the injustices that Mexican people suffer.

But it’s time for Mexicans to understand that other people have to travel greater distances and have to go through bigger injustices.

A study by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean reported that it is the poverty rate of immigrants who came illegally to Mexico that has forced many to leave their native countries.

Mexico and Central America have a poverty problem, and it’s pretty big, which forces many to leave. But when it comes to resources and opportunities, Central Americans are much further behind than the people of Mexico.

Central Americans suffer abuses in Mexican territory, they suffer physical violence, they travel on “The Beast,” a dangerous train, women are raped, and others suffer hunger and racism even before reaching the United States.

The abuses and sacrifices that Mexican people have to go through are important issues that must be resolved. We should all speak against these injustices, but without forgetting about Central Americans.

Even though I don’t support the Republican nominee, I believe that before critiquing Trump you should look at your own country and see if similarities exist.

Rene Delgadillo may be reached at [email protected].